Battery life.

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital.rangefinder,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

I cross posted this to the 4 digital groups as it pertains to all.

It's been about 2 1/2 years since I went digital, first with the Oly
E20-N and now the Nikon D-70.

I started out with two sets of AA NiMH batteries and added a third.
One set consisted of 8 2000 MAh batteries, one set of 4 1800 MAh,
batteries and one set of 4 1850 MAh batteries.

One of the early 2000 MAh batteries failed early on. Not too long ago
a second failed. In the last week I had one fail in each of the other
two batches.

They were heavily used at first, but since the D-70 have received only
occasional use. They have been conditioned twice in the last year.

I didn't name any brands as the failures seem to be pretty well
distributed between on and off brands.

Considering the cost of NiMH batteries, I think I ended up with
reasonable life out of them.

Likewise the rechargeable Lithiums are rated with both a cycle life
and calendar life. The proprietary battery with the D-70 seems to
have tremendous capacity, or longevity, but it's life is still rated
in the neighborhood of two years.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
..
26 answers Last reply
More about battery life
  1. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

    Roger wrote:
    > I cross posted this to the 4 digital groups as it pertains to all.

    [cross-posting trimmed]

    I would have thought that rec.photo.digital was the better group until a
    ..batteries group was created!

    []
    > One of the early 2000 MAh batteries failed early on. Not too long ago
    > a second failed. In the last week I had one fail in each of the other
    > two batches.

    I think you have simply been unfortunate. We mus have bought a dozen or
    more sets of 4 and only had two fail. There were DOA and replaced by the
    shop. NiMH cells don't have the same limited shelf-life that Li-ion cells
    do.

    Cheers,
    David
  2. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

    "David J Taylor" <david-taylor@invalid.com> wrote in

    >> I cross posted this to the 4 digital groups as it pertains to all.
    >
    > [cross-posting trimmed]
    >
    > I would have thought that rec.photo.digital was the better group until a
    > .batteries group was created!

    LOL. Actually, he mentioned batteries for both a ZLR (E20) and an SLR (D70)
    so his post falls within the on-topic bounds of the ZLR and SLR-Systems
    groups, but was totally off-topic for the rangefinder and p&s groups.

    --
    Bill
  3. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

    Woodchuck Bill wrote:
    > "David J Taylor" <david-taylor@invalid.com> wrote in
    >
    >>> I cross posted this to the 4 digital groups as it pertains to all.
    >>
    >> [cross-posting trimmed]
    >>
    >> I would have thought that rec.photo.digital was the better group
    >> until a .batteries group was created!
    >
    > LOL. Actually, he mentioned batteries for both a ZLR (E20) and an SLR
    > (D70) so his post falls within the on-topic bounds of the ZLR and
    > SLR-Systems groups, but was totally off-topic for the rangefinder and
    > p&s groups.

    LOL, indeed! I do think a single posting in rpd would have been more
    appropriate, rather than creating a fragmented discussion, though.

    David
  4. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital.rangefinder,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

    Roger <Delete-Invallid.stuff.groups@tm.net> wrote in message news:<uftnp0lp2niiebbm4r5o8ic17pl9ifgp10@4ax.com>...
    > I cross posted this to the 4 digital groups as it pertains to all.
    >
    > It's been about 2 1/2 years since I went digital, first with the Oly
    > E20-N and now the Nikon D-70.
    >
    > I started out with two sets of AA NiMH batteries and added a third.
    > One set consisted of 8 2000 MAh batteries, one set of 4 1800 MAh,
    > batteries and one set of 4 1850 MAh batteries.
    >
    > One of the early 2000 MAh batteries failed early on. Not too long ago
    > a second failed. In the last week I had one fail in each of the other
    > two batches.
    >
    > They were heavily used at first, but since the D-70 have received only
    > occasional use. They have been conditioned twice in the last year.
    >
    > I didn't name any brands as the failures seem to be pretty well
    > distributed between on and off brands.

    About two years with moderate to high use has been my experience with
    Li-ion batteries for Canon's D60 and 10D.

    Bob Shomler
    www.shomler.com
    > Considering the cost of NiMH batteries, I think I ended up with
    > reasonable life out of them.
    >
    > Likewise the rechargeable Lithiums are rated with both a cycle life
    > and calendar life. The proprietary battery with the D-70 seems to
    > have tremendous capacity, or longevity, but it's life is still rated
    > in the neighborhood of two years.
    >
    > Roger Halstead (K8RI & ARRL life member)
    > (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    > www.rogerhalstead.com
    > .
  5. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

    > LOL, indeed! I do think a single posting in rpd would have been more
    > appropriate, rather than creating a fragmented discussion, though.

    Agreed, but I can understand the initial confusion until the chips finish
    falling. When in doubt..post to rec.photo.digital, or at least set follow-
    ups there if you feel the need to crosspost.

    To the OP..we're not netcopping you. Stick around!

    --
    Bill
  6. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital.rangefinder,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

    Roger wrote:

    > I cross posted this to the 4 digital groups as it pertains to all.
    >
    > It's been about 2 1/2 years since I went digital, first with the Oly
    > E20-N and now the Nikon D-70.
    >
    > I started out with two sets of AA NiMH batteries and added a third.
    > One set consisted of 8 2000 MAh batteries, one set of 4 1800 MAh,
    > batteries and one set of 4 1850 MAh batteries.
    >
    > One of the early 2000 MAh batteries failed early on. Not too long ago
    > a second failed. In the last week I had one fail in each of the other
    > two batches.
    >
    > They were heavily used at first, but since the D-70 have received only
    > occasional use. They have been conditioned twice in the last year.
    >
    > I didn't name any brands as the failures seem to be pretty well
    > distributed between on and off brands.
    >
    > Considering the cost of NiMH batteries, I think I ended up with
    > reasonable life out of them.
    >
    > Likewise the rechargeable Lithiums are rated with both a cycle life
    > and calendar life. The proprietary battery with the D-70 seems to
    > have tremendous capacity, or longevity, but it's life is still rated
    > in the neighborhood of two years.
    >
    > Roger Halstead (K8RI & ARRL life member)
    > (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    > www.rogerhalstead.com
    > .
    Interesting. I've yet to find a digicam that draws much less than ½ amp
    with the display on. Even my tiny Dimage-X pulls 400+ mA, but only about
    6 mA with the display off, so the current delivering ability of a
    battery of whatever type is all important. I've found the big battery
    killer is overcharging. The practice of "topping up" a full battery
    before a shooting session can be B A D ! Most chargers doing this won't
    sense an overcharge before some electrolyte is destroyed, leading to a
    battery with apparent full capacity, but reduced current ability. Of
    course charging from flat allows the better chargers to predict the end
    point and stop in time. I agree that the cost of NiMH cells is low
    enough that the life is acceptable, provided you have a spare set for
    when the inevitable happens and a fully charged set fails in camera.
    The Lithium ion type can have exactly the same vulnerabilities, and they
    are expensive
  7. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

    On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 07:16:48 -0000, "David J Taylor"
    <david-taylor@invalid.com> wrote:

    >Roger wrote:
    >> I cross posted this to the 4 digital groups as it pertains to all.

    What rec.photo.digital?
    It has dispappeared from both servers I use.

    >[cross-posting trimmed]

    That was the reason for the cross posting.

    >I would have thought that rec.photo.digital was the better group until a
    >.batteries group was created!

    <:-))

    >[]
    >> One of the early 2000 MAh batteries failed early on. Not too long ago
    >> a second failed. In the last week I had one fail in each of the other
    >> two batches.
    >
    >I think you have simply been unfortunate. We mus have bought a dozen or

    Actually, I thought I was doing quite well. 2 to 2 1/2 years is about
    the time I figure I'm going to pitch the rechargeable and replace
    them.

    >more sets of 4 and only had two fail. There were DOA and replaced by the
    >shop. NiMH cells don't have the same limited shelf-life that Li-ion cells
    >do.

    Having used NiMH batteries for some years in Hand Held radios (244 and
    440 MHz ham rigs) I've found that the ultimate life of the NiMH in
    years runs pretty close to, or only slightly better than that of
    NiCads that in turn seems to be about what they advertise for Li-ion
    rechargeable. All three "from my limited experience" run two to three
    years.

    With either I figure I'm going to be doing a major replacement every
    couple of years.

    When it comes to the number of shots per battery/batter pack they all
    seem to work out about the same cost.

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    >Cheers,
    >David

  8. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

    > On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 07:16:48 -0000, "David J Taylor"
    > <david-taylor@invalid.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Roger wrote:
    > >> I cross posted this to the 4 digital groups as it pertains to all.
    > >
    > What rec.photo.digital?
    > It has dispappeared from both servers I use.

    Roger, I still see a lot of posts on rec.photo.digital. There were 180 of
    them just this afternoon.
  9. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

    On 18 Nov 2004 07:21:21 GMT, Woodchuck Bill <bwr607@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >"David J Taylor" <david-taylor@invalid.com> wrote in
    >
    >>> I cross posted this to the 4 digital groups as it pertains to all.
    >>
    >> [cross-posting trimmed]
    >>
    >> I would have thought that rec.photo.digital was the better group until a
    >> .batteries group was created!
    >
    >LOL. Actually, he mentioned batteries for both a ZLR (E20) and an SLR (D70)
    >so his post falls within the on-topic bounds of the ZLR and SLR-Systems
    >groups, but was totally off-topic for the rangefinder and p&s groups.

    Actually he/me/I is talking about AA cell lifetime in cameras which
    would also include many of the 35 mm cameras as well. <:-))

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com
  10. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

    On 18 Nov 2004 08:08:43 GMT, Woodchuck Bill <bwr607@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >"David J Taylor" <david-taylor@invalid.com> wrote in
    >
    >> LOL, indeed! I do think a single posting in rpd would have been more
    >> appropriate, rather than creating a fragmented discussion, though.
    >
    >Agreed, but I can understand the initial confusion until the chips finish
    >falling. When in doubt..post to rec.photo.digital, or at least set follow-
    >ups there if you feel the need to crosspost.
    >
    >To the OP..we're not netcopping you. Stick around!
    Nope , I'm gonna take my marbles home and go play<:-))

    Actually, can any of you still get RPD? It is no longer on either
    server I use.

    OTOH, I think this thread has already developed more traffic than I've
    seen in a week on the 4 digital groups. OK, not quite, but I'm not
    seeing much.

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com
  11. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

    > Actually, can any of you still get RPD? It is no longer on either
    > server I use.

    I do.

    > OTOH, I think this thread has already developed more traffic than I've
    > seen in a week on the 4 digital groups. OK, not quite, but I'm not
    > seeing much.

    The four new groups are still not on quite a few major servers, so give it
    time. Don't expect the traffic in any of the four new groups to get as
    heavy as RPD. Instead, expect lower volume targeted traffic in each group.
    It takes a long time for the chips to fall after new groups are created.
    Three out of the four new groups are actually doing very well for groups
    less than a month old.

    --
    Bill
  12. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

    Roger <Delete-Invallid.stuff.groups@tm.net> wrote in

    > Actually, can any of you still get RPD? It is no longer on either
    > server I use.

    I see that you use Supernews. They still carry RPD. RPD was not scheduled
    to be removed as part of the reorganization. Maybe you need to refresh your
    groups list. If it is still a problem, contact support [at] supernews dot
    com.

    --
    Bill
  13. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

    On 19 Nov 2004 02:18:41 GMT, Woodchuck Bill <bwr607@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Roger <Delete-Invallid.stuff.groups@tm.net> wrote in
    >
    >> Actually, can any of you still get RPD? It is no longer on either
    >> server I use.
    >
    >I see that you use Supernews. They still carry RPD. RPD was not scheduled
    >to be removed as part of the reorganization. Maybe you need to refresh your

    That was one of the first things I tried.
    I lost two groups just after the first of the month when I changed
    from DSL to cable. I was still using the same settings and the groups
    were missing from OE as well as Agent. It showed as subscribed, but
    refreshing did not find RPD. I then switched to the cable's
    newsgroup, SuperNews. Still the same thing.

    After trying numerous routes I finally ended up unsubscribing from the
    two groups, shutting down and restarting Agent, "then" refreshing the
    newsgroups and RPD was there. Then resubscribing.

    The same route was necessary in OE.

    Something had to have changed in the reader(s), but the confusing part
    is "both readers"?

    Yes, I have multiple firewalls and my computers check clean.

    At any rate I can again read RPD.

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com
    >groups list. If it is still a problem, contact support [at] supernews dot
    >com.
  14. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital.rangefinder,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

    "Roger" <Delete-Invallid.stuff.groups@tm.net> wrote in message
    >I cross posted this to the 4 digital groups as it pertains to all.
    >
    > It's been about 2 1/2 years since I went digital, first with the Oly
    > E20-N and now the Nikon D-70.
    >
    > I started out with two sets of AA NiMH batteries and added a third.
    > One set consisted of 8 2000 MAh batteries, one set of 4 1800 MAh,
    > batteries and one set of 4 1850 MAh batteries.
    >
    > One of the early 2000 MAh batteries failed early on. Not too long ago
    > a second failed. In the last week I had one fail in each of the other
    > two batches.
    >
    > They were heavily used at first, but since the D-70 have received only
    > occasional use. They have been conditioned twice in the last year.
    >
    > I didn't name any brands as the failures seem to be pretty well
    > distributed between on and off brands.
    >
    > Considering the cost of NiMH batteries, I think I ended up with
    > reasonable life out of them.
    >
    > Likewise the rechargeable Lithiums are rated with both a cycle life
    > and calendar life. The proprietary battery with the D-70 seems to
    > have tremendous capacity, or longevity, but it's life is still rated
    > in the neighborhood of two years.

    ----

    The great 'dedicated' battery rip-off is why I'm seriously considering the
    new Pentax *ist DS - uses AA's.

    Proprietary batteries are a curse - whether they are for laptops, video
    cameras, or still cameras. Full marks to Pentax for building a camera that
    uses an inexpensive future-proof power source.
  15. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital.rangefinder,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

    Hi all

    As a point of interest the guy in Jessops (Canterbury) also said that
    topping up was a bad idea until the batteries had been conditioned. Ths
    entails fully chaging then fully discahrging them 4 times. Discharge them by
    normal use and dont force the issue by up loading vast amounts of data to
    your PC - no topping up charges in this time .

    This is supposed to considerably extend the useful life of batteries .

    Keith M

    "Roger" <Delete-Invallid.stuff.groups@tm.net> wrote in message
    >I cross posted this to the 4 digital groups as it pertains to all.
    >
    > It's been about 2 1/2 years since I went digital, first with the Oly
    > E20-N and now the Nikon D-70.
    >
    > I started out with two sets of AA NiMH batteries and added a third.
    > One set consisted of 8 2000 MAh batteries, one set of 4 1800 MAh,
    > batteries and one set of 4 1850 MAh batteries.
    >
    > One of the early 2000 MAh batteries failed early on. Not too long ago
    > a second failed. In the last week I had one fail in each of the other
    > two batches.
    >
    > They were heavily used at first, but since the D-70 have received only
    > occasional use. They have been conditioned twice in the last year.
    >
    > I didn't name any brands as the failures seem to be pretty well
    > distributed between on and off brands.
    >
    > Considering the cost of NiMH batteries, I think I ended up with
    > reasonable life out of them.
    >
    > Likewise the rechargeable Lithiums are rated with both a cycle life
    > and calendar life. The proprietary battery with the D-70 seems to
    > have tremendous capacity, or longevity, but it's life is still rated
    > in the neighborhood of two years.
    >
    > Roger Halstead (K8RI & ARRL life member)
    > (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    > www.rogerhalstead.com
    > .
  16. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital.rangefinder,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

    Hi All:

    Some points about Lithium cells.
    Lithium cells are very different from NiCad or NiMH cells.

    1- Lithium batteries have a shelf life, they will go bad wither they are
    used or not. How long the shelf life is depends on the manufacture and the
    design of the batteries. This is a good reason not to buy used or old
    lithium batteries.

    2- Lithium batteries have a limit on of the number of times they can be
    completely discharged and re-charged. This is about 500 to 1000 times
    depending on the manufacture and the design of the cell. Un-necessarily
    completely discharging a Lithium battery wastes life of the battery.

    3- Lithium do not have any memory effect. In fact the best way to extend the
    life of the cell to the maximum the self life will allow is to keep them
    fully charged. It is best to keep them in the charger and fully charged.
    Lithium batteries in the proper charger can not be over charged.

    4- Charging a lithium battery in a charger not designed for that battery
    risks a fire. Without proper charging lithium batteries can explode or burn
    up.

    --
    John Passaneau, W3JXP
    State College, PA

    "Keith M" <gonefishin@moxham7.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    >
    > As a point of interest the guy in Jessops (Canterbury) also said that
    > topping up was a bad idea until the batteries had been conditioned. Ths
    > entails fully chaging then fully discahrging them 4 times. Discharge them
    > by normal use and dont force the issue by up loading vast amounts of data
    > to your PC - no topping up charges in this time .
    >
    > This is supposed to considerably extend the useful life of batteries .
    >
    > Keith M
    >
    > "Roger" <Delete-Invallid.stuff.groups@tm.net> wrote in message
    >>I cross posted this to the 4 digital groups as it pertains to all.
    >>
    >> It's been about 2 1/2 years since I went digital, first with the Oly
    >> E20-N and now the Nikon D-70.
    >>
    >> I started out with two sets of AA NiMH batteries and added a third.
    >> One set consisted of 8 2000 MAh batteries, one set of 4 1800 MAh,
    >> batteries and one set of 4 1850 MAh batteries.
    >>
    >> One of the early 2000 MAh batteries failed early on. Not too long ago
    >> a second failed. In the last week I had one fail in each of the other
    >> two batches.
    >>
    >> They were heavily used at first, but since the D-70 have received only
    >> occasional use. They have been conditioned twice in the last year.
    >>
    >> I didn't name any brands as the failures seem to be pretty well
    >> distributed between on and off brands.
    >>
    >> Considering the cost of NiMH batteries, I think I ended up with
    >> reasonable life out of them.
    >>
    >> Likewise the rechargeable Lithiums are rated with both a cycle life
    >> and calendar life. The proprietary battery with the D-70 seems to
    >> have tremendous capacity, or longevity, but it's life is still rated
    >> in the neighborhood of two years.
    >>
    >> Roger Halstead (K8RI & ARRL life member)
    >> (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    >> www.rogerhalstead.com
    >> .

  17. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital.rangefinder,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

    "Roger" <Delete-Invallid.stuff.groups@tm.net> wrote in message
    > I cross posted this to the 4 digital groups as it pertains to all.
    >
    > It's been about 2 1/2 years since I went digital, first with the Oly
    > E20-N and now the Nikon D-70.
    >
    > I started out with two sets of AA NiMH batteries and added a third.
    > One set consisted of 8 2000 MAh batteries, one set of 4 1800 MAh,
    > batteries and one set of 4 1850 MAh batteries.
    >
    > One of the early 2000 MAh batteries failed early on. Not too long ago
    > a second failed. In the last week I had one fail in each of the other
    > two batches.
    >
    > They were heavily used at first, but since the D-70 have received only
    > occasional use. They have been conditioned twice in the last year.
    >
    > I didn't name any brands as the failures seem to be pretty well
    > distributed between on and off brands.
    >
    > Considering the cost of NiMH batteries, I think I ended up with
    > reasonable life out of them.
    >
    > Likewise the rechargeable Lithiums are rated with both a cycle life
    > and calendar life. The proprietary battery with the D-70 seems to
    > have tremendous capacity, or longevity, but it's life is still rated
    > in the neighborhood of two years.
    >
    > Roger Halstead (K8RI & ARRL life member)
    > (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    > www.rogerhalstead.com
    > .

    (Almost) everything about batteries that you want or need to know you may
    found on:
    http://www.buchmann.ca/
  18. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital.rangefinder,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

    My 2 & 1/2 year old Lithium Ion batteries..original Canon G2 batteries, are
    on their last legs.... I can coax about 100 shots on a full charge..vs 300
    shots when they were new. A bit irritating considering their price...
    Another good website about batteries is .....
    http://www.batteryuniversity.com/index.htm

    cheers....MTB

    "Roger" <Delete-Invallid.stuff.groups@tm.net> wrote in message
    > I cross posted this to the 4 digital groups as it pertains to all.
    >
    > It's been about 2 1/2 years since I went digital, first with the Oly
    > E20-N and now the Nikon D-70.
    >
    > I started out with two sets of AA NiMH batteries and added a third.
    > One set consisted of 8 2000 MAh batteries, one set of 4 1800 MAh,
    > batteries and one set of 4 1850 MAh batteries.
    >
    > One of the early 2000 MAh batteries failed early on. Not too long ago
    > a second failed. In the last week I had one fail in each of the other
    > two batches.
    >
    > They were heavily used at first, but since the D-70 have received only
    > occasional use. They have been conditioned twice in the last year.
    >
    > I didn't name any brands as the failures seem to be pretty well
    > distributed between on and off brands.
    >
    > Considering the cost of NiMH batteries, I think I ended up with
    > reasonable life out of them.
    >
    > Likewise the rechargeable Lithiums are rated with both a cycle life
    > and calendar life. The proprietary battery with the D-70 seems to
    > have tremendous capacity, or longevity, but it's life is still rated
    > in the neighborhood of two years.
    >
    > Roger Halstead (K8RI & ARRL life member)
    > (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    > www.rogerhalstead.com
    > .
  19. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital.rangefinder,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

    "MTBike1970" <NOSPAMmtbike1970@yahoo.ca> writes:

    > My 2 & 1/2 year old Lithium Ion batteries..original Canon G2 batteries, are
    > on their last legs.... I can coax about 100 shots on a full charge..vs 300
    > shots when they were new. A bit irritating considering their price...

    Generally Li-on batteries last about 2 years after manufacture before they
    start degrading, so it sounds about normal. Unfortunately if the manufacturer
    of your camera didn't use a standard battery type, it may be expensive to
    replace the battery after the model is no longer sold.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org

    I got lucky here... the battery used in the G6 will work in my G2, so I'll
    probably get one soon...a battery that is...not sure if I'll get the G6.
    MTB

    "Michael Meissner" <mrmnews@the-meissners.org> wrote in message
    > "MTBike1970" <NOSPAMmtbike1970@yahoo.ca> writes:
    >
    > > My 2 & 1/2 year old Lithium Ion batteries..original Canon G2 batteries,
    are
    > > on their last legs.... I can coax about 100 shots on a full charge..vs
    300
    > > shots when they were new. A bit irritating considering their price...
    >
    > Generally Li-on batteries last about 2 years after manufacture before they
    > start degrading, so it sounds about normal. Unfortunately if the
    manufacturer
    > of your camera didn't use a standard battery type, it may be expensive to
    > replace the battery after the model is no longer sold.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Meissner
    > email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org
    > http://www.the-meissners.org
  21. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital.rangefinder,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

    "MTBike1970" <NOSPAMmtbike1970@yahoo.ca> writes:

    > I got lucky here... the battery used in the G6 will work in my G2, so I'll
    > probably get one soon...a battery that is...not sure if I'll get the G6.

    Canon generally tries to reuse the same battery across generations, but not
    every company does so.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org
    http://www.the-meissners.org
  22. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital.rangefinder,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

    As this thread is of general interest, it might be better being in just
    rec.photo.digital, rather than in the four new group. Please consider
    trimming the cross-posting accordingly.
  23. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    Good thread. I just got a 20d and was wondering if i should buy a 2nd
    battery. The aging issue concerns me. I don't suppose theres really
    any way to forestall that. It seems to charge pretty quickly and i
    keep a power converter in the car to plug into the lighter and
    recharge while to - and -fro.

    rgds

    Ken
  24. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    In article <rolbq05lhibh1lgcnr459jpi1te8fo0pd6@4ax.com>, Ken Ellis
    <kenellis@nycap.rr.com> wrote:

    > Good thread. I just got a 20d and was wondering if i should buy a 2nd
    > battery. The aging issue concerns me. I don't suppose theres really
    > any way to forestall that. It seems to charge pretty quickly and i
    > keep a power converter in the car to plug into the lighter and
    > recharge while to - and -fro.

    Always carry a spare battery. If the charge runs out while you are
    shooting you won't have time to recharge.

    --
    Charles
  25. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital.rangefinder,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

    David J Taylor wrote:

    > As this thread is of general interest, it might be better being in just
    > rec.photo.digital, rather than in the four new group. Please consider
    > trimming the cross-posting accordingly.

    Wholeheartedly and enthusiastically concur and encourage others to heed David's
    advice.

    -- [SI] gallery: http://www.pbase.com/shootin
    -- [SI] rulz: http://www.aliasimages.com/si/rulz.html
  26. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 09:19:10 -0500, Charles <fort514@mac.com> wrote:

    >In article <rolbq05lhibh1lgcnr459jpi1te8fo0pd6@4ax.com>, Ken Ellis
    ><kenellis@nycap.rr.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Good thread. I just got a 20d and was wondering if i should buy a 2nd
    >> battery. The aging issue concerns me. I don't suppose theres really
    >> any way to forestall that. It seems to charge pretty quickly and i
    >> keep a power converter in the car to plug into the lighter and
    >> recharge while to - and -fro.
    >
    >Always carry a spare battery. If the charge runs out while you are
    >shooting you won't have time to recharge.

    Better safe than sorry..makes sense

    Ken

Point & Shoot Battery Photo Cameras