First Gaming Computer Build! Suggestions?

tailgunner13

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012
Hello all,

This is my first computer build I have ever done. I have assembled some different components and wanted to check the compatability and get some opinions on the build itself. I am completely open to suggestions as well. But before I give the parts list itself, here is the general outline that Tom's Hardware suggests to have.

Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next few weeks

Budget Range: $700-$800

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming primarily, some basic editing programs, possibly CAD programs as well

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: None as this is my first build.

Do you need to buy OS: Yes, but I am not including that in this price range

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I would prefer if it is kept to Newegg or Fry's. Seeing as I enjoy picking up parts in person if the price is the same anyways.

Parts Preferences: by brand or type: I am trying to build an Intel computer for my first build.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Not at the moment. Possibly in future upgrades.

Your Monitor Resolution: I plan on running the tower to my HDTV. It currently supports up to 1080p

Additional Comments: I would like the motherboard to not be micro. I know micro brings the price down a bit, but I am willing to put in a little more money for the full size board. I am also firmly set with the tower. It is the only piece I have been 100% sure that I want.

So here is the current component list I have assembled.

Tower: Cooler Master HAF 912

HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB

Video Card: XFX Double D Radeon HD 7870

PSU: Raidmax Hybrid 2 RX-730SS

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB

CPU: Intel i5-3450 Ivy Bridge

Motherboard: ASUS P8B75-V LGA 1155

Any opinions/suggestions/criticisms are greatly appreciated!

tailgunner13

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012
Ah, I had concerns with the PSU, but I wasn't sure. My friend had that PSU and has had no problems at all with it. But good to know about the other ones! Thank you!

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah Raidmax PSUs are to be avoided like the plague - there's far better options out there. I've had their PSUs blow up on me, short out, cause system instability, you name it. Go with something like a Corsair CX600 or Seasonic S12 II 620W, those would be the best.

tailgunner13

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012

Ah perfect! Thank you so much! These are the kinds of suggestions I was looking for!

tailgunner13

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012
Any opinions on the motherboard? I think that has been the component that has been giving me the most trouble on deciding. Any tips or things I should look for? I have read articles about building my own, but I still feel slightly confused when trying to make a good choice that will still be good for a few years.

g-unit1111

Titan

I'm personally not a fan of B75 - it has a lot of ports on it that you will never use as they haven't been used for like 10 years. H77 is a far better bet and you can get a full board for the price of an mATX - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157302

tailgunner13

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012

g-unit, I can not thank you enough for the tips and suggestions. It is really helping me out and clarifying a lot of things I would never had noticed.

So the build now is:

Tower: Cooler Master HAF 912

HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB

Video Card: XFX Double D Radeon HD 7870

PSU: Corsair Builder Series CX600 V2

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB

CPU: Intel i5-3450 Ivy Bridge

Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP LGA 1155

Is this a pretty solid build? I really want it to last for a few years before I need to upgrade again. Once again, thanks for all your help!

g-unit1111

Titan

Looks good to me! You can add an SSD later on and you should definitely get a $15 optical drive as well.

tailgunner13

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012

Whoops! I knew I was forgetting something. Haha but luckily optical drives are not a hassle. But finishing this off, I have been considering an SSD to at the very least put the operating system on. With the help you have given me, I think there is enough room in my budget to get one! Is there any suggestions you have for a 32GB SSD? Or would it be better to just spend the little extra and get a 64GB SSD?

obsama1

Distinguished
32GB is paltry. Windows will eat up the entire drive. A 64GB is the minimum I'd recommend. It's enough for Windows and a few games. A 128GB is more flexible, however.

tailgunner13

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012

Ah thank you! I was trying to decide between the two sizes, but I didn't plan on putting anything but the OS on it. But I will definitely get the 64 to be on the safe side!