Sign in with
Your question

First Gaming Computer Build! Suggestions?

Last response: in Systems
September 26, 2012 9:16:31 PM

Hello all,

This is my first computer build I have ever done. I have assembled some different components and wanted to check the compatability and get some opinions on the build itself. I am completely open to suggestions as well. But before I give the parts list itself, here is the general outline that Tom's Hardware suggests to have.

Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next few weeks

Budget Range: $700-$800

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming primarily, some basic editing programs, possibly CAD programs as well

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: None as this is my first build.

Do you need to buy OS: Yes, but I am not including that in this price range

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I would prefer if it is kept to Newegg or Fry's. Seeing as I enjoy picking up parts in person if the price is the same anyways.

Parts Preferences: by brand or type: I am trying to build an Intel computer for my first build.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Not at the moment. Possibly in future upgrades.

Your Monitor Resolution: I plan on running the tower to my HDTV. It currently supports up to 1080p

Additional Comments: I would like the motherboard to not be micro. I know micro brings the price down a bit, but I am willing to put in a little more money for the full size board. I am also firmly set with the tower. It is the only piece I have been 100% sure that I want.

So here is the current component list I have assembled.

Tower: Cooler Master HAF 912

HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB

Video Card: XFX Double D Radeon HD 7870

PSU: Raidmax Hybrid 2 RX-730SS

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB

CPU: Intel i5-3450 Ivy Bridge

Motherboard: ASUS P8B75-V LGA 1155

Any opinions/suggestions/criticisms are greatly appreciated!
September 26, 2012 9:25:54 PM

The HIS 7870 is $200. That PSU is very bad. Get a Corsair or Antec. With the money you save on the GPU, get a 3570K and ASRock Extreme3.
September 26, 2012 9:27:55 PM

Also, there's a MicroCenter in Dallas. The i5-3570K is $190 there, and you get $50 off your motherboard. You should get the parts there.
Related resources
September 26, 2012 9:35:57 PM

Ah, I had concerns with the PSU, but I wasn't sure. My friend had that PSU and has had no problems at all with it. But good to know about the other ones! Thank you!
September 27, 2012 12:10:48 AM

tailgunner13 said:
Ah, I had concerns with the PSU, but I wasn't sure. My friend had that PSU and has had no problems at all with it. But good to know about the other ones! Thank you!

Yeah Raidmax PSUs are to be avoided like the plague - there's far better options out there. I've had their PSUs blow up on me, short out, cause system instability, you name it. Go with something like a Corsair CX600 or Seasonic S12 II 620W, those would be the best.
September 27, 2012 1:13:33 AM

g-unit1111 said:
Yeah Raidmax PSUs are to be avoided like the plague - there's far better options out there. I've had their PSUs blow up on me, short out, cause system instability, you name it. Go with something like a Corsair CX600 or Seasonic S12 II 620W, those would be the best.

Ah perfect! Thank you so much! These are the kinds of suggestions I was looking for!
September 27, 2012 3:42:23 PM

Any opinions on the motherboard? I think that has been the component that has been giving me the most trouble on deciding. Any tips or things I should look for? I have read articles about building my own, but I still feel slightly confused when trying to make a good choice that will still be good for a few years.
September 27, 2012 4:22:51 PM

tailgunner13 said:
Any opinions on the motherboard? I think that has been the component that has been giving me the most trouble on deciding. Any tips or things I should look for? I have read articles about building my own, but I still feel slightly confused when trying to make a good choice that will still be good for a few years.

I'm personally not a fan of B75 - it has a lot of ports on it that you will never use as they haven't been used for like 10 years. H77 is a far better bet and you can get a full board for the price of an mATX - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
September 27, 2012 4:38:47 PM

g-unit1111 said:
I'm personally not a fan of B75 - it has a lot of ports on it that you will never use as they haven't been used for like 10 years. H77 is a far better bet and you can get a full board for the price of an mATX - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

g-unit, I can not thank you enough for the tips and suggestions. It is really helping me out and clarifying a lot of things I would never had noticed.

So the build now is:

PSU: Corsair Builder Series CX600 V2

Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP LGA 1155

Is this a pretty solid build? I really want it to last for a few years before I need to upgrade again. Once again, thanks for all your help!
September 27, 2012 4:48:02 PM

tailgunner13 said:
g-unit, I can not thank you enough for the tips and suggestions. It is really helping me out and clarifying a lot of things I would never had noticed.

So the build now is:

PSU: Corsair Builder Series CX600 V2

Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP LGA 1155

Is this a pretty solid build? I really want it to last for a few years before I need to upgrade again. Once again, thanks for all your help!

Looks good to me! You can add an SSD later on and you should definitely get a $15 optical drive as well.
September 27, 2012 4:54:16 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Looks good to me! You can add an SSD later on and you should definitely get a $15 optical drive as well.

Whoops! I knew I was forgetting something. Haha but luckily optical drives are not a hassle. But finishing this off, I have been considering an SSD to at the very least put the operating system on. With the help you have given me, I think there is enough room in my budget to get one! Is there any suggestions you have for a 32GB SSD? Or would it be better to just spend the little extra and get a 64GB SSD?
September 27, 2012 9:53:38 PM

32GB is paltry. Windows will eat up the entire drive. A 64GB is the minimum I'd recommend. It's enough for Windows and a few games. A 128GB is more flexible, however.
September 27, 2012 9:58:05 PM

obsama1 said:
32GB is paltry. Windows will eat up the entire drive. A 64GB is the minimum I'd recommend. It's enough for Windows and a few games. A 128GB is more flexible, however.

Ah thank you! I was trying to decide between the two sizes, but I didn't plan on putting anything but the OS on it. But I will definitely get the 64 to be on the safe side!
!