First off here are my specs

3770K OC 4.2

16 gb RAM Corsair

Kingwin PSU 650 Watt Black Series.

ASUS z77 v Pro MOBO

3 ssd

1 hd

1 dvd

I just bought the 660 replacing my gtx 460. I have had absolutely no problems playing black ops 2.

I installed new GPU updated drivers. and BIOS for board. Started to play BO 2 and then my comp shutdown. I did some stress testing and all temps are fine card is running tops at 73 C and cpu never past 45 c. I got a message about a power surge from ASUS.

Is the power supply not enough to handle the 660? I maxed oout the settings on BO 2, then lowered them some and still shutting down with out warning?

Before I updated BIOS it did it too. Then after updating BIOS is did it... Any suggestions?

Here is a link to my PSU from MC

http://www.microcenter.com/product/345546/MK-650W_650W_ATX_Power_Supply

Mandude

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
So you think it the PSU then for sure? Also, what in your opinion would be the best software to run the stress test my gpu to find out how hot it gets running maxed out? Is there software that will push your GPU to its limit so you can see what is going on with it?

knightdog56

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
Make sure all your connections from your power supply to motherboard are secured and locked and also recheck the conection to the video card. Also check your memory to make sure it did not get bumped when the new video card was installed. I hoped you checked all that before the post. I'm not saying for sure that it is the power supply but from what you have described it sounds like it.

Mandude

Distinguished
May 31, 2011

I disconnected everything and reconnected making sure I did everything right. Took my time. I installed the molex adapter to pci e connector and thought that would help. No luck. I keep getting the power surge failure from the ASUS smart software. Computer shutsdown at full load w/temps at about 70c it idles around 30c so I don't think it's a temp issues. My 12v rail 1 & 2 put out 21 amps and 22 amps receptively. I have 2 pci e connectors ready for sli. But the card only calls for one connector. So I connected the adapter that came with the card so two molex where connected to the pci e connector. Still no luck. Powers down a few mins into game. I have the settings on the game (Black ops 2) maxed out.

I just bought the card from bestbuy. Should I take it back? or get a new PSU and test and see if that's the problem?

Mandude

Distinguished
May 31, 2011

Gotta be the power supply. I lowered everything in the precision x software from EVGA even the voltage. Started playing BO2 and was playing good. Then I defaulted everything. and as soon as I started playing again, computer shutdown and gave me power surge failure. Also I plugged in the PSU cord into a separate socket in my house and same issue. Going to get a new PS unit and will hook up to see what happens...

Mandude

Distinguished
May 31, 2011

I was looking at 800 or so but came across this? http://www.microcenter.com/product/406366/Gaming_Series_GS700_2013_Edition_700_Watt_ATX_12V_Power_Supply

I just bought that. What is the difference between module and non mod? I tried to reply to you on my phone, but it wouldn't let me log into TH over chrome on android.

Anyways I hope this fits the bill. The dude at MC if this doesn't work, then it's def the card. So I will hook this up after a while I have a few chores that need getting done outside (have horses and such). So when I'm done. I'll come inside and hook it all up and let you know what happens. Thx for all your help so far.

Mandude

Distinguished
May 31, 2011