Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is the Sound Card worth it?

Last response: in Components
February 10, 2013 2:09:31 AM

My current motherboard of choice is the ASRock Z77 Extreme 4, but I heard any sort of sound card could easily overpower the onboard card. As a sound card, I have chosen the Asus Xonar DG (which is ~$30).

I am quite the audiophile, and I listen to Neurofunk (if the type of music matters).

Should I go with the onboard card, or install the Xonar?

More about : sound card worth

a b V Motherboard
February 10, 2013 2:13:24 AM

As a self-described audiophile you'll notice the improved audio. What headphones or speakers do you have? You need a quality pair of one or the other to make the most of a sound card.
a b V Motherboard
February 10, 2013 2:17:28 AM

whats ur system specs. and speaker or headphone setup.

Related resources
February 10, 2013 2:19:19 AM

SchizTech said:
As a self-described audiophile you'll notice the improved audio. What headphones or speakers do you have? You need a quality pair of one or the other to make the most of a sound card.

I have 2 Harman/kardon speakers on top of two other speakers under them. I also have a cheap Boston BA635 Subwoofer.

http://oi49.tinypic.com/lbll4.jpg

(two harman/kardon speakers, two black speaker, sub is not shown).

I don't know the models for the speakers, they're old, but have really decent quality.
a b V Motherboard
February 10, 2013 2:21:06 AM

whats ur budget for a sound-card its def worth it . ull see a difference in music for shur and movies and games.

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
February 10, 2013 2:22:35 AM

asktod said:
If you install the Xonar you will hear a difference with the right speakers. I would install if you have an extra PCI slot and $30 laying around.

Here it is for $27 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Yep, for that low a price why not go for better sound, particularly if you care about music?
a b V Motherboard
February 10, 2013 2:23:25 AM

if hes an audiophile. 100$ soundcard be a good investment. i know i love my creative xfi championship fatality edition. it pwns.

February 10, 2013 2:23:41 AM

iceclock said:
whats ur budget for a sound-card its def worth it . ull see a difference in music for shur and movies and games.

Personally, I want to go as cheap as possible because I don't really NEED one, but I would enjoy music more.
a b V Motherboard
February 10, 2013 2:44:06 AM

whats ur budget?

February 10, 2013 2:45:08 AM

iceclock said:
whats ur budget?

I'd say $40 or less.
a b V Motherboard
February 10, 2013 3:09:06 AM

yep. go for it :) 

February 10, 2013 10:31:42 AM

Best answer selected by vElectrixx.