Slowdown/lag but same FPS? After cleaning my PC

superh

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
Yesterday cleaned my computer and took out the GPU.

once back together, i switched on. Everything golden.(a few white lines flicker when i log into my account now though)

I start up Crysis today, and i notice that the gameplay, isn't as fluid now... I may be getting a few less FPS than before(but not much from what i remember) but I'm defiantly getting slowdowns/lag/STUTTERING. it's like less FPS but it doesn't show it on the FPS counter. Like walking lag. When inside a building on Crysis, it got really bad despite the FPS counter rising, almost like slow motion.

This is on High with 2x AA, medium with no AA as well.

does anybody have any idea what the problem could be?

(does taking out the GPU cause driver issues maybe??)

Ati 4890
AMD Phenom II X4
2X 2GB DDR 2 1066mhz kingston

thanks

Remove and clean again. The"white lines" are a problem. The 4890 is pretty ancient and its time to upgrade if you use a modern resolution. Also AMD dropped support for the 4xxx and earlier in every release. i think they are every 3 months. so check your drivers.

superh

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
My monitor is an even more ancient 1024 x 786 :D

Not looking to upgrade, still looks nice to me on this resolution(and i don't want to pay for a new GPU and monitor, and whilst I'm at it, new MOBO for DDR3 ram)

what could the white lines on first log in be caused by? I'll give the drivers a check. i recently uninstalled the new 12.6 patch because they gave me stuttering in crysis funnily enough... reverted to 12.4 and it was Perfect... I'll go play about with a few versions again.

also worth mentioning that my CPU is clogged with dust and runs at 70C idle.....i believe its been that way for months though, only just started reading the temp yesterday. got some thermal paste and air on the way for that...

thanks