Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading PSU. Some advice, please?

Last response: in Components
February 10, 2013 4:35:26 AM

Hello,

I'm currently using a 6(?)+ year old OCZ GamexStream 750w PSU. I bought this PSU around the time I got my very first custom build many years back. It has seen me through many upgrades, and although it has been fantastic, it is fairly old. I'm afraid that it may abruptly fail on me one day and damage a component.

I would like to replace it and buy something efficient and with a nice warranty (this one only had 3 years). Although I'll miss the nice blue LEDs, I can do without them.

My current build:
CPU: Intel i5 Lynnfield 2.66 GHz
Motherboard: ASRock P55 Extreme
GPU: MSI HD 7950 Twin Frozr III
Ram: 8 GBs DDR3 1600 Mhz
DVD: Lite-On DVD/RW
HDD 1: WD Caviar Black 1TB
HDD 2: WD Caviar Black 200GB
HDD 3: Seagate 200GB

I'm planning on upgrading some things in the coming months. Namely, the i5. I'm planning on picking up an i7 3770k Ivy Bridge and possibly upgrading the motherboard to something that supports USB 3.0 (I bought both around the launch of the i3/i5/i7 CPUs). I also plan to pick up another HD 7950 in a year or two. I was hoping for some advice conerning two PSU's I more or less settled on (though I'm always open for suggestions!). These are:

Seasonic SS-660xp 660w: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and

Rosewill Fortress 750w: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Both are Platinum Certified and on sale at the moment. They also fall within my planned price range of around $100 give or take. The reviews I have read indicate that the they are very solid with the Seasonic being Modular and having a hybrid fan, while the Fortress is pretty featureless. I was hoping for modular cables and a quiet PSU but I can do without it if the deal is worthwhile. They also come with a 7 year warranty (huge plus, coming from my OCZ).

Would my planned future build be able to run with a the 660w PSU? I tried messing around with a few calculators I found and they indicated that a 660w would support 2 HD 7950s and my build just fine, but I'm also hearing that I should be aiming for 700w minimum. Should I just skip on the Seasonic and pick up the Rosewill? Or is there another PSU that I'm overlooking which would turn out even better for myself? I don't need to make the purchase right away and could wait for other deals to come around; though I'm not sure how much time I have on my current PSU.

Thank you for any suggestions and for your time.

More about : upgrading psu advice

a b ) Power supply
February 10, 2013 4:41:35 AM

There's the rosewill capstone 750M, which is of high quality and modular for less than 100$(after mir) : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
The fortress is platinum, but this one is cheaper and modular, you won't notice the difference between gold and platinum in your wallet.
a c 115 ) Power supply
February 10, 2013 4:44:03 AM

I'm ordering the SeaSonic right now, it's a great price and I won't hesitate to put my 7950 into crossfire with it.
For what it's worth
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
February 10, 2013 5:10:30 AM

dont think you can run R7950 crossfire in a 660W power supply. AMD states that you need 750W or higher...
a b ) Power supply
February 10, 2013 7:53:57 AM

AMD say that, but you only need to allow ~200W per card. 600-700W of a really good quality should be perfectly sufficient.
a c 260 ) Power supply
February 10, 2013 11:58:45 AM

timarp000 said:
dont think you can run R7950 crossfire in a 660W power supply. AMD states that you need 750W or higher...

I'm sure you are aware(C12 is) AMD(&NVidia) overstates PSU wattage needed to run their cards,
to allow for trash PSU's that can't deliver their publ specs and older PSU's that
are decent quality, but weak on +12v amps.

realhardtech suggests 700w to CF 7950's and they have headroom built in.
C12 also knows that Seasonic's prof quality PSU's actually outperform their publ specs.

So, that 660 platinum will run his 7950's without issue.
a c 260 ) Power supply
February 10, 2013 12:07:21 PM

Arrionso said:
Hello,

I'm currently using a 6(?)+ year old OCZ GamexStream 750w PSU. I bought this PSU around the time I got my very first custom build many years back. It has seen me through many upgrades, and although it has been fantastic, it is fairly old. I'm afraid that it may abruptly fail on me one day and damage a component.

I would like to replace it and buy something efficient and with a nice warranty (this one only had 3 years). Although I'll miss the nice blue LEDs, I can do without them.

My current build:
CPU: Intel i5 Lynnfield 2.66 GHz
Motherboard: ASRock P55 Extreme
GPU: MSI HD 7950 Twin Frozr III
Ram: 8 GBs DDR3 1600 Mhz
DVD: Lite-On DVD/RW
HDD 1: WD Caviar Black 1TB
HDD 2: WD Caviar Black 200GB
HDD 3: Seagate 200GB

I'm planning on upgrading some things in the coming months. Namely, the i5. I'm planning on picking up an i7 3770k Ivy Bridge and possibly upgrading the motherboard to something that supports USB 3.0 (I bought both around the launch of the i3/i5/i7 CPUs). I also plan to pick up another HD 7950 in a year or two. I was hoping for some advice conerning two PSU's I more or less settled on (though I'm always open for suggestions!). These are:

Seasonic SS-660xp 660w: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and

Rosewill Fortress 750w: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Both are Platinum Certified and on sale at the moment. They also fall within my planned price range of around $100 give or take. The reviews I have read indicate that the they are very solid with the Seasonic being Modular and having a hybrid fan, while the Fortress is pretty featureless. I was hoping for modular cables and a quiet PSU but I can do without it if the deal is worthwhile. They also come with a 7 year warranty (huge plus, coming from my OCZ).

Would my planned future build be able to run with a the 660w PSU? I tried messing around with a few calculators I found and they indicated that a 660w would support 2 HD 7950s and my build just fine, but I'm also hearing that I should be aiming for 700w minimum. Should I just skip on the Seasonic and pick up the Rosewill? Or is there another PSU that I'm overlooking which would turn out even better for myself? I don't need to make the purchase right away and could wait for other deals to come around; though I'm not sure how much time I have on my current PSU.

Thank you for any suggestions and for your time.

Hi - yes, both are fine units. I would go with the Seasonic 660w modular,
as I explained above.

!