Sign in with
Your question

Replacing a graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 7, 2012 1:13:06 AM

hi guys,

I dont know much about computers so could you help me out, i have a vostro 220 with a core 2 duo processor, windows 7 ultimate 32 bit with 2 gb of ram. the graphics card i have is a intel g45/g43 express chipset and i was thinking about replacing it with an amd radeon HD 7950. would i be able to do it or would it not work because my motherboard would not support the graphics card.
a b U Graphics card
August 7, 2012 1:22:12 AM

well if you open up your case and see a pci express x16 slot that is open you can upgrade your card. If not then you cant. Also if there is an open slot you will still most likely need to also upgrade your PSU. The one that came with your PC almost certainly does not have the required cables or power for that card.
m
l
August 7, 2012 1:22:22 AM

Your motherboard would support it, but that's just about all that would. What are you planning to with this upgrade? Gaming, Video Editing, Word Processing, etc?
m
l
Related resources
August 7, 2012 1:27:16 AM

i was only thinking of adding a hdmi port to my pc so i could set it up with my tv
m
l
August 7, 2012 1:28:52 AM

kamehouse said:
i was only thinking of adding a hdmi port to my pc so i could set it up with my tv

Ok, well that card you have selected is WAY overkill if that's all your wanting to do.
m
l
August 7, 2012 1:32:59 AM

Fender0246 said:
Ok, well that card you have selected is WAY overkill if that's all your wanting to do.

what do you suggest i get if you think that this is overkill
m
l
August 7, 2012 1:33:12 AM

Fender0246 said:

what do you suggest i get if you think that this is overkill
m
l
August 7, 2012 1:43:05 AM

Depending on your T.V. inputs, you can connect to it via VGA or DVI and an audio cable. Most LCD's have that option nowdays.

But if you want to buy a card just to have the HDMI option, most cards in the $30-50 range have HDMI ports to output your video to your T.V.
m
l
August 7, 2012 7:25:36 PM

Fender0246 said:
Depending on your T.V. inputs, you can connect to it via VGA or DVI and an audio cable. Most LCD's have that option nowdays.

But if you want to buy a card just to have the HDMI option, most cards in the $30-50 range have HDMI ports to output your video to your T.V.

What product do you suggest I get that will also incorporate sound in the hdmi
m
l
!