'My Recent Documents' folder gets cleared at shutdown

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

I am on XP Pro with all fixes except SP2.

My problem is that my "My Recent Document" folder does not have as
many entries as it should. Can anyone help me increase this value.
Thank you.

---------

WHAT I HAVE TRIED

(1) I have set "ClearRecentDocsOnExit" to zero to prevent the recent
docs folder being cleared at shutdown.

(2) I have set "MaxRecentDocs" to decimal 25 (0x19).

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies
\Explorer] "ClearRecentDocsOnExit"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies
\Explorer] "MaxRecentDocs"=dword:00000019

OTHER INFO

However Start > My Recent Documents shows 13 docs and the Recent
folder contains shortcuts to those 13 documents plus 3 shortcuts to
folders.

It may be relevent but I also have 3 "file folder" objects from 10
days ago which do not seem to be getting removed.
5 answers Last reply
More about recent documents folder cleared shutdown
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Look at NoRecentDocsHistory

    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    Value Name: NoRecentDocsMenu
    Value Type: REG_DWORD
    Value Data: 0 or 1
    0 = Yes, allow recent docs
    1 = No, do not allow recent docs

    Value Name: ClearRecentDocsOnExit
    Value Type: REG_DWORD
    Value Data: 0 or 1
    0 = No don't clear
    1 = Yes clear them

    Value Name: NoRecentDocsHistory
    Value Type: REG_DWORD
    Value Data: 0 or 1
    0 = Yes history
    1 = No history

    You may have a third-party system maintenance program like Disk Cleaner,
    MRUBlaster, or some other Cache cleaner utility that is clearing Recent
    Documents.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:96C6CC01E1E3031E75@204.153.244.156,
    Alec Basil <coalie@nomail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I am on XP Pro with all fixes except SP2.
    >
    > My problem is that my "My Recent Document" folder does not have as
    > many entries as it should. Can anyone help me increase this value.
    > Thank you.
    >
    > ---------
    >

    > WHAT I HAVE TRIED
    >
    > (1) I have set "ClearRecentDocsOnExit" to zero to prevent the recent
    > docs folder being cleared at shutdown.
    >
    > (2) I have set "MaxRecentDocs" to decimal 25 (0x19).
    >
    > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies
    > \Explorer] "ClearRecentDocsOnExit"=dword:00000000
    >
    > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies
    > \Explorer] "MaxRecentDocs"=dword:00000019
    >

    > OTHER INFO
    >
    > However Start > My Recent Documents shows 13 docs and the Recent
    > folder contains shortcuts to those 13 documents plus 3 shortcuts to
    > folders.
    >
    > It may be relevent but I also have 3 "file folder" objects from 10
    > days ago which do not seem to be getting removed.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Wes, thank you for the registry keys. I checked all three and they
    are set ok.

    Maybe it is an app doing the clearing of My Recent Dcouments.

    If an app is clearing the Recent folder probably when I shutdown then
    can I run any utility to trace which application is doing it?

    Or is there a trick I can use to force any such app to fail badly
    when it tried to clear that folder. for example ccan I leave the
    shortcuts in the Recent folder but somehow make them unreadable or
    set security somehow to prevent access. And then Windows might
    display a warning message?

    Alec

    On Sat 03 Sep 2005 22:55:41, Wesley Vogel wrote in

    > Look at NoRecentDocsHistory
    >
    > HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    > Value Name: NoRecentDocsMenu
    > Value Type: REG_DWORD
    > Value Data: 0 or 1
    > 0 = Yes, allow recent docs
    > 1 = No, do not allow recent docs
    >
    > Value Name: ClearRecentDocsOnExit
    > Value Type: REG_DWORD
    > Value Data: 0 or 1
    > 0 = No don't clear
    > 1 = Yes clear them
    >
    > Value Name: NoRecentDocsHistory
    > Value Type: REG_DWORD
    > Value Data: 0 or 1
    > 0 = Yes history
    > 1 = No history
    >
    > You may have a third-party system maintenance program like Disk
    > Cleaner, MRUBlaster, or some other Cache cleaner utility that is
    > clearing Recent Documents.
    >
    > Wes

    > In news:96C6CC01E1E3031E75@204.153.244.156,
    >>
    >> I am on XP Pro with all fixes except SP2.
    >>
    >> My problem is that my "My Recent Document" folder does not have
    >> as many entries as it should. Can anyone help me increase this
    >> value. Thank you.
    >>

    >> WHAT I HAVE TRIED
    >>
    >> (1) I have set "ClearRecentDocsOnExit" to zero to prevent the
    >> recent docs folder being cleared at shutdown.
    >>
    >> (2) I have set "MaxRecentDocs" to decimal 25 (0x19).
    >>
    >> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows
    >> \CurrentVersion\Policies \Explorer]
    >> "ClearRecentDocsOnExit"=dword:00000000
    >>
    >> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows
    >> \CurrentVersion\Policies \Explorer]
    >> "MaxRecentDocs"=dword:00000019
    >>
    >> OTHER INFO
    >>
    >> However Start > My Recent Documents shows 13 docs and the
    >> Recent folder contains shortcuts to those 13 documents plus 3
    >> shortcuts to folders.
    >>
    >> It may be relevent but I also have 3 "file folder" objects from
    >> 10 days ago which do not seem to be getting removed.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Check this location in the Registry as well,

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

    for the Value Names that Wesley gave you in his post.

    --
    William

    "Alec Basil" <coalie@nomail.com> wrote in message
    > Wes, thank you for the registry keys. I checked all three and they
    > are set ok.
    >
    > Maybe it is an app doing the clearing of My Recent Dcouments.
    >
    > If an app is clearing the Recent folder probably when I shutdown then
    > can I run any utility to trace which application is doing it?
    >
    > Or is there a trick I can use to force any such app to fail badly
    > when it tried to clear that folder. for example ccan I leave the
    > shortcuts in the Recent folder but somehow make them unreadable or
    > set security somehow to prevent access. And then Windows might
    > display a warning message?
    >
    > Alec
    >

    > On Sat 03 Sep 2005 22:55:41, Wesley Vogel wrote in
    >>
    >> Look at NoRecentDocsHistory
    >>
    >> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    >> Value Name: NoRecentDocsMenu
    >> Value Type: REG_DWORD
    >> Value Data: 0 or 1
    >> 0 = Yes, allow recent docs
    >> 1 = No, do not allow recent docs
    >>
    >> Value Name: ClearRecentDocsOnExit
    >> Value Type: REG_DWORD
    >> Value Data: 0 or 1
    >> 0 = No don't clear
    >> 1 = Yes clear them
    >>
    >> Value Name: NoRecentDocsHistory
    >> Value Type: REG_DWORD
    >> Value Data: 0 or 1
    >> 0 = Yes history
    >> 1 = No history
    >>
    >> You may have a third-party system maintenance program like Disk
    >> Cleaner, MRUBlaster, or some other Cache cleaner utility that is
    >> clearing Recent Documents.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >

    >> In news:96C6CC01E1E3031E75@204.153.244.156,
    >>>
    >>> I am on XP Pro with all fixes except SP2.
    >>>
    >>> My problem is that my "My Recent Document" folder does not have
    >>> as many entries as it should. Can anyone help me increase this
    >>> value. Thank you.
    >>>

    >>> WHAT I HAVE TRIED
    >>>
    >>> (1) I have set "ClearRecentDocsOnExit" to zero to prevent the
    >>> recent docs folder being cleared at shutdown.
    >>>
    >>> (2) I have set "MaxRecentDocs" to decimal 25 (0x19).
    >>>
    >>> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows
    >>> \CurrentVersion\Policies \Explorer]
    >>> "ClearRecentDocsOnExit"=dword:00000000
    >>>
    >>> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows
    >>> \CurrentVersion\Policies \Explorer]
    >>> "MaxRecentDocs"=dword:00000019
    >>>
    >>> OTHER INFO
    >>>
    >>> However Start > My Recent Documents shows 13 docs and the
    >>> Recent folder contains shortcuts to those 13 documents plus 3
    >>> shortcuts to folders.
    >>>
    >>> It may be relevent but I also have 3 "file folder" objects from
    >>> 10 days ago which do not seem to be getting removed.

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Might be a good call, William. ;-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:uTFGcc2sFHA.3532@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    WTC <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Check this location in the Registry as well,
    >
    > HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    >
    > for the Value Names that Wesley gave you in his post.
    >
    > --
    > William
    >
    > "Alec Basil" <coalie@nomail.com> wrote in message
    >> Wes, thank you for the registry keys. I checked all three and they
    >> are set ok.
    >>
    >> Maybe it is an app doing the clearing of My Recent Dcouments.
    >>
    >> If an app is clearing the Recent folder probably when I shutdown then
    >> can I run any utility to trace which application is doing it?
    >>
    >> Or is there a trick I can use to force any such app to fail badly
    >> when it tried to clear that folder. for example ccan I leave the
    >> shortcuts in the Recent folder but somehow make them unreadable or
    >> set security somehow to prevent access. And then Windows might
    >> display a warning message?
    >>
    >> Alec
    >>

    >> On Sat 03 Sep 2005 22:55:41, Wesley Vogel wrote in
    >>>
    >>> Look at NoRecentDocsHistory
    >>>
    >>> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    >>> Value Name: NoRecentDocsMenu
    >>> Value Type: REG_DWORD
    >>> Value Data: 0 or 1
    >>> 0 = Yes, allow recent docs
    >>> 1 = No, do not allow recent docs
    >>>
    >>> Value Name: ClearRecentDocsOnExit
    >>> Value Type: REG_DWORD
    >>> Value Data: 0 or 1
    >>> 0 = No don't clear
    >>> 1 = Yes clear them
    >>>
    >>> Value Name: NoRecentDocsHistory
    >>> Value Type: REG_DWORD
    >>> Value Data: 0 or 1
    >>> 0 = Yes history
    >>> 1 = No history
    >>>
    >>> You may have a third-party system maintenance program like Disk
    >>> Cleaner, MRUBlaster, or some other Cache cleaner utility that is
    >>> clearing Recent Documents.
    >>>
    >>> Wes
    >>

    >>> In news:96C6CC01E1E3031E75@204.153.244.156,

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Wesley,

    As you are probably aware that most policy restrictions will work in the
    HKLM or HKCU policy registry locations. So I thought I would give the OP
    another place to look but it sounds like the OP might have a 3rd party
    cleaner which you have suggested earlier.

    --
    William

    > Might be a good call, William. ;-)
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:uTFGcc2sFHA.3532@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    > WTC <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    >> Check this location in the Registry as well,
    >>
    >> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    >>
    >> for the Value Names that Wesley gave you in his post.
    >>
    >> --
    >> William
    >>
    >> "Alec Basil" <coalie@nomail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Wes, thank you for the registry keys. I checked all three and they
    >>> are set ok.
    >>>
    >>> Maybe it is an app doing the clearing of My Recent Dcouments.
    >>>
    >>> If an app is clearing the Recent folder probably when I shutdown then
    >>> can I run any utility to trace which application is doing it?
    >>>
    >>> Or is there a trick I can use to force any such app to fail badly
    >>> when it tried to clear that folder. for example ccan I leave the
    >>> shortcuts in the Recent folder but somehow make them unreadable or
    >>> set security somehow to prevent access. And then Windows might
    >>> display a warning message?
    >>>
    >>> Alec
    >>>

    >>> On Sat 03 Sep 2005 22:55:41, Wesley Vogel wrote in

Configuration Microsoft Shutdown Windows XP