Sign in with
Your question

Need help with a new build

Last response: in Systems
September 27, 2012 5:24:38 AM

Sold my alienware laptop I am ready for a dekstop again..

Question of the day build a computer that is cheap that can play games well..

or build one that cost way to damn much and its worth 50% less the moment I install the waterblock.

How cheaply can a build a amd rig that will max out all games on the market right now 1920x1080

More about : build

September 27, 2012 5:32:53 AM

We can probably provide a full build if you can fill out the form in the sticky.

If you are looking to fully max out, you are probably looking at a lot, but if you are willing to turn the AA and AF down on some of the most demanding games, you can fit it under 1200.
September 27, 2012 5:48:39 AM

Im at the point of saying screw it and just buying a ps3 or a 360. Seems pointless to dump this much into a system anymore in order to "Max" it out. I do understand that pc graphics are better. But at what cost....
Related resources
September 27, 2012 5:53:23 AM

cia24 said:
Im at the point of saying screw it and just buying a ps3 or a 360. Seems pointless to dump this much into a system anymore in order to "Max" it out. I do understand that pc graphics are better. But at what cost....

I think the thing you need to keep in mind is that a computer is going to be more capable than your game console.

If your computer costs 400 and just surfs the web and has room in the case for upgrades you can drop in a $200 graphics card, a new power supply, and maybe some additional cooling and get something that will not only blow away the PS3 or 360 at the same price, but also consolidate your equipment.

That being said, building from scratch is generally costly, but it's generally a sound investment for the future. I have a 360 purely for the exclusive titles (Forza/Halo/GoW/etc.) if those don't interest you, not too much sense in purchasing one or the other.
September 27, 2012 6:01:30 AM

I have built rigs ranging from $500-$6500, trust me I know what they can do, It just seems pointless to me anymore to spend $3000+ to build a good watercooled rig, Its to much upkeep and a pain. I really am at a stand still on this and do not know what to do.
September 27, 2012 6:09:16 AM

It sounds like you don't want a gaming PC.

Buy a console. Save the money you don't seem willing to spend and wait to see where the consoles take pc gaming next :/ 
September 27, 2012 6:20:29 AM

I do want a gaming pc just not a fan of how fast they outdate. my old rig sold 8 months ago was 2600k dual gtx 580's in sli so on so on. It was outdated by the time I sold it.
September 27, 2012 7:09:37 AM

I hear you. Surely you can see the benefits of being able to upgrade a PC vs a console though, that alone is worth the investment.

My mindset is to build a PC that is highly likely to be upgradeable while keeping costs down and not put my eggs all in one basket, so to speak, and buy the latest and greatest, which eventually is replaced with something better soon enough.

I just built a small microATX PC and focused on gpu power and bang for buck. Everything is upgradeable an relative to what your goals are. I was aiming for quick productivity and good gaming. I may play some games on high settings now but eventually I'll be needing to lower the graphic settings, which is fine by me for a sub $700 build.

But you know all this right? You build $500- $6500 rigs :) 
September 27, 2012 7:17:35 AM

There is a guy somewhere here on toms that did watercooling in a silverstone FT03 case, I would like to copy that build.
September 27, 2012 7:27:03 AM

cia24 said:
I do want a gaming pc just not a fan of how fast they outdate. my old rig sold 8 months ago was 2600k dual gtx 580's in sli so on so on. It was outdated by the time I sold it.

you shouldnt have sold that you could have maxed out games easily even now
!