Sign in with
Your question

How is this build? (first build)

Last response: in Systems
September 27, 2012 6:32:55 AM

So i came on here yesterday and asked about a build i designed and i found out it wasnt that great and they recommended the build below, so since this is my first build and i dont know really anything, is this a good build or could i get a better one for the same price/cheaper?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4-M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($97.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($307.86 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $885.34
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

More about : build build

September 27, 2012 6:53:46 AM

mikeandike128 said:
So i came on here yesterday and asked about a build i designed and i found out it wasnt that great and they recommended the build below, so since this is my first build and i dont know really anything, is this a good build or could i get a better one for the same price/cheaper?

Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $885.34

oh yeah and my main uses are Starcraft 2(so i wanna be able to play ultra smoothly and maybe extreme), internet, and Music Recording
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 27, 2012 6:55:55 AM

Looks good. It cannot overclock but it will meet and surpass your needs.
m
l
Related resources
September 27, 2012 7:06:03 AM

what does overclock mean?
m
l
September 27, 2012 7:14:59 AM

Everything checks out. It's a good go.
I'd like to point out though that the i5-3450 will be discontinued soon.
Also, why the PSU? Will you be utilizing Crossfire in the future?
m
l
September 27, 2012 7:26:23 AM

excella1221 said:
Everything checks out. It's a good go.
I'd like to point out though that the i5-3450 will be discontinued soon.
Also, why the PSU? Will you be utilizing Crossfire in the future?

ok is the fact that its gonna be discontinued soon bad?
and im not sure what you mean by PSU lol sorry im a newb to this still. and im not sure what crossfire is. But i do know that in my recording class my teacher has mentions firewire plugins for recording.
m
l
September 27, 2012 7:31:09 AM

Not so much as a bad thing. I just believe there's probably a reason why it's the only Ivy that's going to be pulled out along with all the Sandy Bridges.

PSU = Power Supply Unit

Crossfire = Stacking 2 or more GPUs to achieve higher performance
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 27, 2012 7:33:04 AM

Overclock means pushing higher than default performance out of your parts,you won't be needing that.
The PSU is quite big,perhaps 550w.
m
l
September 27, 2012 7:42:50 AM

so i should just get a 550w and itll be good?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 27, 2012 7:53:31 AM

Corsair Enthusiast Series TX are stellar.
m
l
September 27, 2012 7:54:48 AM

There are a few things you might consider to save some money:

Do you need 4 memory slots on your motherboard? This motherboard is $27.56 cheaper including shipping, but it only has 2 memory slots.

This memory kit is a dollar more but has a $10 rebate and a free flash drive.

If you're willing to switch both the motherboard and memory there's a combo deal that will save $8 more.

Sapphire also has a cheaper 7950 model that you might be interested in.

m
l
September 27, 2012 8:17:11 AM

Everything you picked there is going to be more than fine for the use you want. Plus it's going to play any game you can think of. I'd pick the memory and graphics card lighter said above. The only thing you might need to check carefuly is the case, some reported that the front audio inputs for mic and headphones are reversed but it is not that big of a deal.
m
l
September 27, 2012 8:18:38 AM

allanitomwesh said:
Corsair Enthusiast Series TX are stellar.

ok well i dont see a tx series 550 watt only 650. should i get the 650? or do you have another suggestion for a 550?
m
l
September 27, 2012 8:19:35 AM

nickchalk said:
Everything you picked there is going to be more than fine for the use you want. Plus it's going to play any game you can think of. I'd pick the memory and graphics card lighter said above. The only thing you might need to check carefuly is the case, some reported that the front audio inputs for mic and headphones are reversed but it is not that big of a deal.

well just in case, do you know a good case for like the same price?
m
l
September 27, 2012 8:26:16 AM

mikeandike128 said:
ok well i dont see a tx series 550 watt only 650. should i get the 650? or do you have another suggestion for a 550?

Try this:
XFX 550W PRO550W Core Edition Single Rail ATX 12V 44A 24PIN ATX Power Supply 80PLUS Bronze

mikeandike128 said:
well just in case, do you know a good case for like the same price?

Rosewill CHALLENGER-U3 Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ,comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, front mounted dual USB 3.0
m
l
September 27, 2012 8:33:15 AM

alright so after everything thats been said, this is pretty much what im going with

Case: Rosewill Challenger-U3 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $840.34
m
l
September 27, 2012 8:37:01 AM

and actually since these suggestions have saved me about $45 i wanna get like a better optical drive, preferably blu-ray and cd/dvd burner/player. any suggestions? i dont wanna go higher than like $35 but if its worth it ill have some leniency
m
l
September 27, 2012 8:45:51 AM

amuffin said:
There are no Blu-Ray drives that are $35.

Can you add one later on?

This is a cheaper drive:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

well whats the cheapest blu ray drive than?

and yeah i can just wondering cause i could get it now lol

and thanks for the drive, its actually better than the one i picked out too!
m
l
September 27, 2012 9:28:29 AM

ok so i just fully compared the 2 GPU's and it seems that yours is better as far as features and core/boost clock, but there is one feature that mine had that yours didnt and that was "Dolby TrueHD and DTSHD Master Audio Support" and im not sure if i might need that since ill be using it for recording, or if itd make the audio better for gaming, but i mean thats 1 feature compared to like 4 or 5 more features on your, its just the audio recording part that i think i might need it for. what do you think?

And i found out mine comes with a game called Sleeping Dogs, so that seems pretty much worth the extra $20 difference, but if the features on yours are worth it, then *** the game lol id rather have the better cheaper one xD
m
l
September 27, 2012 11:02:05 AM

I don't see the point of a microATX motherboard on a Mid tower, especially the Rosewill.
Please consider full ATX.
m
l
September 27, 2012 11:07:08 AM

Be careful about buying stuff on Newegg. I see a lot of bad reviews on people getting DOA stuff.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 27, 2012 11:11:53 AM

^Gigabyte make an ATX h77.
m
l
September 27, 2012 5:06:57 PM

mikeandike128 said:
yea and i wanna stay with the motherboard i got, and im goin with your memory, and im not sure if i want a cheaper version unless im still gonna get the full potential

Ok, that's your call. BTW there is also a combo deal for "your" motherboard and "my" memory. Saves $8.

mikeandike128 said:
ok so i just fully compared the 2 GPU's and it seems that yours is better as far as features and core/boost clock, but there is one feature that mine had that yours didnt and that was "Dolby TrueHD and DTSHD Master Audio Support" and im not sure if i might need that since ill be using it for recording, or if itd make the audio better for gaming, but i mean thats 1 feature compared to like 4 or 5 more features on your, its just the audio recording part that i think i might need it for. what do you think?

And i found out mine comes with a game called Sleeping Dogs, so that seems pretty much worth the extra $20 difference, but if the features on yours are worth it, then *** the game lol id rather have the better cheaper one xD

I don't really know about the differences but I would think that the Dolby sound feature only applies to when you're playing a Blu-ray and outputing sound and video through the video card's HDMI connector. AFAIK the video card isn't doing any audio processing. As to the free game, if you would pay $30 for it then that might make a difference. Otherwise you can get the cheaper card and put the $30 difference toward games you want.

excella1221 said:
I don't see the point of a microATX motherboard on a Mid tower, especially the Rosewill.
Please consider full ATX.

The point was to stay within the build's budget. If an mATX motherboard provides all the features needed and it's cheaper than regular ATX then it's the best option IMO. I would always recommend a full ATX case because microATX cases aren't any cheaper and the full size case provides more options if it's re-used for the next system. I've never has problems mounting a mATX board in an ATX case, but I've never used the Rosewill Challenger. I did a quick scan of the reviews and didn't see anybody mentioning this problem.

keithmfr said:
Be careful about buying stuff on Newegg. I see a lot of bad reviews on people getting DOA stuff.

I've ordered from them more than a dozen times and never had problems. You have to realize that they sell a lot of stuff and some small percentage is going to be defective. Unfortunately the people who get the defective stuff are more likely to write a review and vent their frustration.
m
l
September 27, 2012 9:51:44 PM

I said "I don't see a point", not "you'll have problems" regarding the mATX and the mid tower case.
Right after everyone's compiled recommendations, he mentioned he saved $45, implying there's no need to recommend a mATX when he can be utilizing a full one for just around $10-15 more and he'll still be within budget with a little saved cash.
The special mention of Rosewill in my post is because it has alot of room even with a full ATX and he has already decided on getting it.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 28, 2012 2:08:25 AM

Newegg reviews=POS.
m
l
September 28, 2012 2:28:56 AM

excella1221 said:
I said "I don't see a point", not "you'll have problems" regarding the mATX and the mid tower case.
Right after everyone's compiled recommendations, he mentioned he saved $45, implying there's no need to recommend a mATX when he can be utilizing a full one for just around $10-15 more and he'll still be within budget with a little saved cash.
The special mention of Rosewill in my post is because it has alot of room even with a full ATX and he has already decided on getting it.

Well just because there is a budget doesn't mean you are obligated to spend all of it. His point is that by paying that 10-15 dollars more for a full ATX mobo, the OP is not getting any features that will benefit him so it is pointless to spend that money. Therefore, the point that I can see in getting an mATX mobo is to save money where it can be saved without concessions to usability.
m
l
September 28, 2012 5:14:48 AM

I was actually referring to essentially better boards that just cost a bit more.
But okay, since we're going down that road- why not the full ATX of the H77 then? It's essentially the same as the micro but with a bit more PCI slots, room for future upgrades due to it being full ATX, and most of all: $10 cheaper for reasons even I don't know.

Don't get me wrong here though, I have nothing against microATX-es. I just believe there's no need to go micro when a full can benefit more, and the casing in question is more than enough to handle an ATX.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 28, 2012 5:34:44 AM

Ladies, play nice.
m
l
September 28, 2012 6:32:15 AM

Not trying to flame anyone. I apologize if that's how it came off.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 28, 2012 8:39:08 AM

OP,get the combo that saves $8,get the cheaper,better graphics card,get the $60 blu ray drive.
excella 1221,if your aware of a similarly priced or cheaper h77 or z77 board please link it.
Otherwise,That should make OP a happy guy.
m
l
September 29, 2012 6:17:38 AM

well sorry guys i already bought all the parts :/  you guys all posted after i already bought everything, or else i woulda got the motherboard :/ 
m
l
September 29, 2012 6:59:39 AM

It's alright. :o 
The microATX counterpart is just as good as the fullATX in terms of performance.
m
l
September 29, 2012 7:15:46 AM

mmk than whats the reall difference besides size?
m
l
September 29, 2012 7:42:43 AM

Quoted from above posts:
Quote:
I was actually referring to essentially better boards that just cost a bit more.
But okay, since we're going down that road- why not the full ATX of the H77 then? It's essentially the same as the micro but with a bit more PCI slots, room for future upgrades due to it being full ATX, and most of all: $10 cheaper for reasons even I don't know.

Don't get me wrong here though, I have nothing against microATX-es. I just believe there's no need to go micro when a full can benefit more, and the casing in question is more than enough to handle an ATX.
m
l
September 29, 2012 7:49:00 AM

oh ok yea seems legit. i think when my friend starts building his own eventually ill just give him my micro and ill get like the full atx
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 29, 2012 5:04:28 PM

next build get a z77 and have every slot imaginable and overclock ability. Then liquid cool that puppy like a boss.
Meantime, post pics :) 
m
l
!