Very basid networking problem - Win7

G

Hello,
I am reasonably knowledgeable (not expert) with computers, but I can’t seem to get a grip on networks, even at a basic level. Here is my problem.

I have connected a simple hardware switch (TP-Link TL-SF10050, 5-way) to my cable modem. With only one computer connected to the switch, all is well. ie that computer is connected to the internet. If I have two computers (one desk-top and one netbook, both using Windows 7) connected to the switch, only the one that is switched on first becomes connected to the internet. The fact that either computer can be connected means that the Ethernet cables are OK and fitted properly. In the case of either computer when connected to the internet, I can read the IP address by holding the cursor over the ‘network map’, and in each case all parts of the addresses are very different.

Many guides to networking start off with the switch being a wireless router with Ethernet connections, and talk about allocating appropriate IP addresses; presumably this is done through the router software. With my simple switch there is no such software or any other apparent means of changing addresses. Please, what have I missed. I have tried to change the IP address on the 'second' computer (netbook) using ipconfig/release then ipconfi/renew, but got message "unable to contact your DHCP server".

I am planning to go on to connect the switch to a HomePlug mains unit so as to extend the LAN throughout the house. This seems pretty ambitious if I can’t even get the basic network working!

Thanks and regards

David Fuller

riser

Illustrious
Your cable internet provides a single IP address. When you have two computers attached to a switch, the first one turned on will most likely request an IP address and get the internet IP address. The second computer turned on will not be acknowledged by the IP request and default to a 169.x.x.x number.

The purpose in the router for home use is to allow you to have more than one computer on your own network. The router will have the single IP address handed out by the ISP. Requests go out through the router and come back in through, so it routes the data to the requesting computer.

riser

Illustrious
Also, a hub, switch, and router are all different devices. A hub and switch are fairly close and often people use the names to refer to the devices.

A router on the other hand is completely different and should never be confused with a hub or switch.

G

Thanks for both replies. Yes, I did have that confusion. I'm sure I can move forward now. :wahoo:

Cheers