Sign in with
Your question

New CPU

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
February 10, 2013 10:40:04 AM

Hi all,

So basically I'm looking at upgrading my CPU and mobo in the next month as my phenom II 1035t is starting to age a bit. I'm currently running on the mobo that came with it, some rubbish thing taken from a retail PC.

First thing's first, I'm going to be using the PC for 3d modelling/rendering and gaming mainly.

At the moment I am running a GTX 580, Agility 3 120gb SSD, 500gb HDD and I've got a CM Storm Trooper case (so no size restrictions :p ).

The mobo I'm gonna buy is probably an ASUS maximus V formula board.

I can't decide if I should go the whole way for a 3770k or instead a 3570k. The main point is price I guess and the i5 is a lot cheaper than the i7. I've heard great things about the i5 but at the same time I don't know if getting the i7 would give a noticeable performance boost over the i5. In an ideal world I'd go for the i7 but I just need some second opinions on the choice.

I'm also going to overclock the chip so I'll probably buy a watercooler or I might set up my own loop (as it's something I've been wanting to do for ages).

Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers.

More about : cpu

a b à CPUs
February 10, 2013 11:23:48 AM

Go for the i7 as you do 3D modeling/rendering...

In gaming you wont see a difference between the i5 or the i7 but while editing video or doing heavy duty tasks the i7 will beat the i5...

if you do watercool, set up a custom loop and if you do set up a custom loop the Maximus V Formula will be perfect as you can also watercool the VRM... Dont go with prebuilt watercoolers as high-end air coolers(like the Noctua NH-D14) will do the same but will be cheaper and much quieter...

If you are not doing custom loop and buy an high-end air cooler buy the Asus P8Z77 V Deluxe to save cash as both the Deluxe and Formula are almost the same...
February 10, 2013 3:35:29 PM

Thanks for the detailed reply, really helped out in making the decision! Yeah, I think I will probably go for the i7 with a custom loop on the formula board as like you said, I can also cool the VRM with it.

Thanks again for the help!
a b à CPUs
February 10, 2013 3:39:29 PM

no problem dude ;) 
happy to help :) 
!