Solved

GTX 670 ?

Hi there people of Tom's hardware, I've spent hours looking for an answer to a question similar to mine ,but with no success, so here I am asking it here. I just hope you guys can help.

I can't decide on which GPU to go with.

This is the last thing i need checked off my list then I can finally order my parts after weeks and weeks of , frankly, tiring research. (from Newegg)

I cant decide on whether to get the....

GTX 670 FTW 2GB : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130787

or

GTX 670 Superclocked 4GB : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130785

I plan on only using 1 27" monitor at 1080p STOP RIGHT THERE
I know many of you will say the FTW is the obvious answer because I wont be using mult-monitors, but please look at this way:

Forget about the price difference please ....now, which one would perform better while in use of gaming? A simple question, but I have yet to get a clear answer. Please forget about the price tags.

Thank you in advance to those of you with answers.

BTW I plan on using a mildly overclocked Ivy Bridge CPU i7 3770k 4.0 GHz
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about tomshardware
  1. Best answer
    The answer is obvious, the ftw will be around 5-10% faster than the superclocked out of box at almost everything at that resolution. As of now, we do not have any games that utilise more than 2gb of vram at 1080p. However, we do not know about the future. Maybe soon games will start using more than 2gb of vram who knows. As long you have video memory and the raw power to use that memory, you should be good to go. So the 4gb superclocked sounds like a more future proof option especially if you don't plan on upgrading in the next 2 years. But if you think you may end up upgrading by then, maybe you should settle for the FTW and enjoy better performance for now.
  2. Well the thing is, people ideas with gaming are often thrown outside the box. You may only expect to use one monitor, but suddenly you buy two more just for the sake of it and now your only stuck with 2 GB vram. Or you might get one card and never SLI, but then choose to anyways, so you buy a better PSU, even though you could of started with a better PSU in the first place. Choose Wisely
  3. shamsmu said:
    The answer is obvious, the ftw will be around 5-10% faster than the superclocked out of box at almost everything at that resolution. As of now, we do not have any games that utilise more than 2gb of vram at 1080p. However, we do not know about the future. Maybe soon games will start using more than 2gb of vram who knows. As long you have video memory and the raw power to use that memory, you should be good to go. So the 4gb superclocked sounds like a more future proof option especially if you don't plan on upgrading in the next 2 years. But if you think you may end up upgrading by then, maybe you should settle for the FTW and enjoy better performance for now.



    I see... hmmm one last question do you know if video editing software would utilize the extra memory on the GTX 670 SC?
  4. not likely. Think about it, all the professional video editors generally tend to use macintosh computers and macs usually come with 1gb vram at max. If anything, your video processing will be benefitted by the amount of nvidia cuda cores and both FTW and SC have the same amount of cuda.
  5. JJ1217 said:
    Well the thing is, people ideas with gaming are often thrown outside the box. You may only expect to use one monitor, but suddenly you buy two more just for the sake of it and now your only stuck with 2 GB vram. Or you might get one card and never SLI, but then choose to anyways, so you buy a better PSU, even though you could of started with a better PSU in the first place. Choose Wisely



    That's why I'm here lol. Good advice though :)

    I will make a wise choice with the help from wise others that are more wise than I, making sure my wise choice is wise....I hope :)
  6. shamsmu said:
    not likely. Think about it, all the professional video editors generally tend to use macintosh computers and macs usually come with 1gb vram at max. If anything, your video processing will be benefitted by the amount of nvidia cuda cores and both FTW and SC have the same amount of cuda.



    I see myself upgrading in a minimum of 2 years time and I don't see myself getting more than 1 monitor in at least 4 years. I really want to be getting the most out of the GTX 670 I choose. I plan on doing some video editing & gaming. So you would definitely suggest the FTW for better performance in games and no difference in video editing performance between both of the cards? Sorry If im being annoying I just those types who hate not being sure, :(
  7. rdizzle96 said:
    I see myself upgrading in a minimum of 2 years time and I don't see myself getting more than 1 monitor in at least 4 years. I really want to be getting the most out of the GTX 670 I choose. I plan on doing some video editing & gaming. So you would definitely suggest the FTW for better performance in games and no difference in video editing performance between both of the cards? Sorry If im being annoying I just those types who hate not being sure, :(


    yep get the FTW
  8. Best answer selected by Rdizzle96.
  9. shamsmu said:
    yep get the FTW


    FTW it is thank you for the help it is very appreciated. :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx Tom's Hardware Graphics Product