Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

What is better for dual monitor setup?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 7, 2012 6:06:10 AM

Hello,
I need to run dual monitors for work, which isn't very graphic intensive, but I also like to use my work computer for gaming. While I game with high quality settings, I only use one monitor, but I would also like to run a youtube video on the extra monitor for kicks now and then while I also run a graphic intensive gaming session. Which is better? A single high powered video card to run both monitors such as the GTX570, or a couple lower powered cards (such as the Radeon 6670) each running one monitor in crossfire? I just burned out my Radeon HD 5830, and I don't want to do it again with the new video card(s) if I can help it. Thanks for your help!

More about : dual monitor setup

a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 7, 2012 6:35:41 AM

when you enable crossfire the outputs on the 2nd card get disabled.

all 3d work is handled by BOTH cards but you only use the connections of the top card.

i would look at a single high powered card. if your seriously into gaming look at something like the GTX 670 or 7970

what games do you play
what is your budget.

the ability to run a 2nd monitor to watch videos while gaming is not a big deal. as long as you get a card good enough to handle the games in the first place the rest will be easy
m
0
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 7, 2012 6:39:31 AM

what is your budget? For your needs, a powerful single gpu still seems to be the better option. Dual gpu setup comes with many issues such as heat, noise, micro stuttering and so on and so forth. In my opinion you should only go sli/cf-

if your gaming multi monitor maxed out and need those extra processing power

or if you already have a single gpu and want to add a second one for cheap.

You shouldn't plan to go dual gpu from the beginning for you needs and I doubt your hd5830 died cause of multi monitor use, it probably would have died anyway.
Share
Related resources
August 7, 2012 4:01:22 PM

HugoStiglitz said:
when you enable crossfire the outputs on the 2nd card get disabled.

all 3d work is handled by BOTH cards but you only use the connections of the top card.

i would look at a single high powered card. if your seriously into gaming look at something like the GTX 670 or 7970

what games do you play
what is your budget.

the ability to run a 2nd monitor to watch videos while gaming is not a big deal. as long as you get a card good enough to handle the games in the first place the rest will be easy



Thank you so much for your reply. I play Skyrim and Witcher 2 mostly on high settings and a few others that aren't as graphically intense, but also newer upcoming games like Borderlands 2. I like graphic intensive games running on high settings. My budget is around 200-300 bucks. I think I can pick out a card based on my budget, but I really just wanted to know if there was any advantage to crossfire. Sounds like there is but you have to pay a lot to get the benefits, and with my board that can only get 4x speed for the second video card slot, its probably not worth it.

I didn't know that the second cards inputs are turned off during crossfire. That helps me make a decision. Thank you!
m
0
l
August 7, 2012 4:03:31 PM

shamsmu said:
what is your budget? For your needs, a powerful single gpu still seems to be the better option. Dual gpu setup comes with many issues such as heat, noise, micro stuttering and so on and so forth. In my opinion you should only go sli/cf-

if your gaming multi monitor maxed out and need those extra processing power

or if you already have a single gpu and want to add a second one for cheap.

You shouldn't plan to go dual gpu from the beginning for you needs and I doubt your hd5830 died cause of multi monitor use, it probably would have died anyway.


Thank you so much for your information! I appreciate it. I'm going to go with a single card based on your input. I'll buy the best one I can afford. Thankfully, my Gigabyte Radeon hd5830 is still under warranty so I'll get a replacement for free someday. *fingers crossed*
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 7, 2012 4:13:38 PM

for 200-300 bucks, a hd 7870 is the best you can get at the moment. However, if you could wait for one month, you can get the new nvidia gtx660 ti. Apparently, that gpu would beat all the hd7850/7870 and even the hd7950 and would go on par with the hd7970 and gtx 670 when overclocked. Best of all, its rumoured to be priced around $220-$250.

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/4873/nvidia_geforce_g...
m
0
l
August 7, 2012 4:27:57 PM

shamsmu said:
for 200-300 bucks, a hd 7870 is the best you can get at the moment. However, if you could wait for one month, you can get the new nvidia gtx660 ti. Apparently, that gpu would beat all the hd7850/7870 and even the hd7950 and would go on par with the hd7970 and gtx 670 when overclocked. Best of all, its rumoured to be priced around $220-$250.

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/4873/nvidia_geforce_g...



A month? Yeah, I can do that. Thank you so much for the info! You rock!
m
0
l
August 17, 2012 12:17:47 AM

Best answer selected by NewbieGamer001.
m
0
l
!