Nvidia GT 240 constantly crashing

Owenjm

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
Hi i bought a Nvidia GT 240 for casual gaming but i got it and the drivers keep crashing. Most of the time it recovers but sometimes it restarts my computer or freezes. It is especially frustrating because it happens so frequently. I have updated and re installed the drivers and i have cleared all the drivers and installed again. I have also contacted the company (XFX) and they had me send my card in and they sent me a new one and said there was nothing wrong with either of them but sent me a new one anyway. The new one crashes much more frequently. I called the company and they said it may be my power supply or my motherboard. They told me to take it in to a computer repair shop to see whats wrong, but I have 2 reasons why I want to avoid that option. 1) Last time i went to a computer repair shop I was very dissatisfied with the service; 2) i have a Nvidia GeForce 6150 SE integrated graphics card, and this one does not have any problems (its just cant run the games i want to play). I am posting this because i want to know whats wrong and see if i can avoid going to a repair shop. Any help with this problem will be greatly appreciated. For my other computer specs: I have an Antec 520w power supply and an AMD Athlon II 635 quad-core processor. If you need more specs just ask.

usuallurker

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012

I'm pretty certain that this is the driver. I've got a Nvidia GT 240 on 64-bit Windows 7. When I first built the system, a couple of years ago, it worked, but after new drivers installed, it began freezing. I eventually found a driver level that worked.

Last February, I had a disk crash, and reinstalled. I never did use the NVidia driver, just sticking to standard VGA. But last night I replaced my monitor (an old 17" CRT!) and had to install the latest NVidia driver to get the right aspect ratio; and the crashes started again.

According to my notes from a couple of years ago, driver level V196.21 worked for me. I'm now running V195.62 (8.17.11.9562, 11/20/2009) since last night, and so far have not had crashes. If this doesn't do it, I'll try digging out that V196.21 driver again.

This is just one data point, and what worked for me may not work for you; but I hope it helps. Good luck.

Owenjm

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

Hey man thank you so much my computer crashes a lot less now (but it still occasionally crashes) I cleared the drivers i had and am now using V196.21. Like I said it still does crash some and freezes after i close a window sometimes, so do you think id have more luck using the V195.62?

usuallurker

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012

I don't know. I ran V196.21, like you, for a very long time with zero problems. So you problem may be different than mine. I've been running V195.62 only for a couple days. I picked that release because it was dated close to the one I remembered working (I couldn't find my year-old notes at the time). I'm kind of skeptical that it would fix your issue if V196.21 didn't: you may have a different problem than I do; but you could give it a try.