What happened to the BEEP?

Hi,

Since I installed XP (Home) I can't seem to persuade my system to just
simply beep on BEEP commands.

And I'm not talking about PING.wav but BEEP - the beep you get when you
type ^G at a DOS prompt.
I also get a beep when I turn all sounds off - I just hate them :-) -
and use volume control.

I want exactly this beep when I use /beep in mIRC or beep() in any
programming language.
For the moment Ping.wav is the only sound active in system sounds. But
this one plays thru the sound card. I often just turn off my speakers
unless I listen to music. So having an old fashioned system beep would
be very convenient.

Any chance getting it to work?

Michaela
4 answers Last reply
More about what happened beep

    Michaela Meier wrote:
    > Since I installed XP (Home) I can't seem to persuade my system to just
    > simply beep on BEEP commands.
    >
    > And I'm not talking about PING.wav but BEEP - the beep you get when
    > you type ^G at a DOS prompt.
    > I also get a beep when I turn all sounds off - I just hate them :-) -
    > and use volume control.
    >
    > I want exactly this beep when I use /beep in mIRC or beep() in any
    > programming language.
    > For the moment Ping.wav is the only sound active in system sounds. But
    > this one plays thru the sound card. I often just turn off my speakers
    > unless I listen to music. So having an old fashioned system beep would
    > be very convenient.
    >
    > Any chance getting it to work?

    -- cut below here - non-inclusive --
    @echo
    -- cut above here - non-inclusive --

    Save that as a batch script.

    Otherwise - no.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Oh oh.......no post ...is it booting fine?

    "Michaela Meier" <mjmnothanks@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Since I installed XP (Home) I can't seem to persuade my system to just
    > simply beep on BEEP commands.
    >
    > And I'm not talking about PING.wav but BEEP - the beep you get when you
    > type ^G at a DOS prompt.
    > I also get a beep when I turn all sounds off - I just hate them :-) - and
    > use volume control.
    >
    > I want exactly this beep when I use /beep in mIRC or beep() in any
    > programming language.
    > For the moment Ping.wav is the only sound active in system sounds. But
    > this one plays thru the sound card. I often just turn off my speakers
    > unless I listen to music. So having an old fashioned system beep would be
    > very convenient.
    >
    > Any chance getting it to work?
    >
    > Michaela

    On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 13:38:43 -0500 in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize, Shenan Stanley favored us
    with...
    > Michaela Meier wrote:
    > > [quoted text muted]
    > > unless I listen to music. So having an old fashioned system beep would
    > > be very convenient.
    > >
    > > Any chance getting it to work?
    >
    > -- cut below here - non-inclusive --
    > @echo
    > -- cut above here - non-inclusive --
    >
    > Save that as a batch script.
    >
    > Otherwise - no.

    For some reason, in Safe Mode I get a loud beep with just about every
    system prompt or dialog box. Is this standard?

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "And if you're afraid of butter, which many people are nowa-
    days, (long pause) you just put in cream." --Julia Child

    Pentium wrote:
    > Oh oh.......no post ...is it booting fine?

    Yes. It is :-P

    My only problem now is to keep a DOS Window from popping up when I
    execute beep.bat ;-)

    Plus I discovered that some progs ARE able to do a "real" beep. e.g.
    Corel Draw beeps when I try and enter invalid values into various text
    fields (i.e. letters instead of numbers). How does it do that? :-)

    I'm confused *g*

    Michaela

Configuration Windows XP