I7-3770k power consumption problem

C4PTRI

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
Here is my problem. I got a dell inspiron 660s and it's a slim case. It only have 220w power supply. Before I have a GT620 oem graphics card which needs 30w power supply and I change it to sapphire 7750 LP version which takes around 45w. I also change my ram from 8GB to 12GB. Now I am thinking can I change my i5-3450S to i7-3770K. Note about that the i5-3450s needs 65w to power it and i7-3770k needs 77w to power it. I wonder if I can change my CPU due to the fact that I already changed my gpu. Please answer can I have enough watts to power up the i7-3770k. Thx

Solution
This is missing a bit of logic.

You can buy the i7 you want to, but just throttle the multiplier to match the 3770s. Then it will use the same power. The chip actually isn't different, nor does it save electricity. It's just the firmware that says it's max multiplier it can use..

The problem is if your dell mobo has this level of control where you can set it. If it doesn't have this, then yes perhaps getting the 3770s is the only way to throttle the chip down.

Either way, if 10watts is the difference, there's no way the tolerances on your parts are so fine that this will be the difference that kills you.
You are already at risk that your PSU will fail whether you saved 10watts or not.

I will offer that perhaps your computer...

It may handle it.. But even with the I5 as it is, you are streesing that PSU to the max. WHEN it fails violently it will damage your PC. Dell and any OEM PSUs are not reliable most of the time and barely provide the rated wattage.

You really need to upgrade it, or get a new case AND PSU to build the parts into.

C4PTRI

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
Icic can you find a slim case psu out there? I can't find it and I can't change my case because someone will find out and it's to annoying getting everything out oh btw the i5 is in dell when I bought it :D

Yes but it was coupled with a very low end GPU that uses very little power. So it was safe wiht the 250W.

Time to move your PC innards to a new case which allows you to install a Full ATX size PSU. You should get a good brand of at least 500w if you have any intention for future upgrades such as a more powerful graphics card or a new motherboard that would allow you to overclock the i7-3770k. Good brands are Seasonic, XFX, Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, Enermax, and I suppose you can also toss in Antec.

Note: Switching the motherboard means that you will need to buy a Window OS. The OS that comes with the Dell will only install with that Dell motherboard. The same can be said if you bought a different brand like HP and Lenovo. The OS is tied to the motherboard.

C4PTRI

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
I wanto change my case but I can't and even I can it's too annoying to change it. But if I add 12 more watts for the psu to handle. It should work. But maybe after a year and a half the computer can't handle this core. So should I try it or someone can find a slim case oem psu.

lysinger

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
Another option is to get a 3770s 65w cpu. You don't need the HD 4000 video in the 3770K with your video card, and the odds of you overclocking this computer are slim to none with the PSU at 250w. I have a 3770s and it's plenty fast. I run 3-8 virtual machines with VMware ESXi on it at a shot. Plenty of zoom to back up your video card.