Your question

Rate my rig guys and give me advice.

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
September 27, 2012 11:11:26 AM

Hi this is my first self build. Earlier on I used to call computer engineer to assemble my rigs. So I am buying following parts:

CPU : Intel core i5 3750k 6M
( http://ark.intel.com/products/65520/Intel-Core-i5-3570K... )

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-M PRO LGA 1155
( http://in.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z77... )

RAM: G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 4 GB (2 x 4 GB) PC RAM , Total = 8 GB 1600Mhz
( http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=355 )

GPU: ATI/AMD 7970 HD 3GB DDR5 DirectCU II
( http://in.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/AMD_Series/HD7970DC2T... )

PSU: Coolermaster Thunder 600W
( http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6851 )

I am also considering ASUS Nvidia GTX 680, so please tell me which one's better.

I am not considering to buy any cooler right now because I am not going for overclocking. So I guess its not needed right now. I believe that the GPU I am considering has already good cooling system fitted. Also I would like to go with stock cooler of CPU that ships with it. Please correct me if I am wrong.

But I need advice on how do I assemble those parts stepwise. Although I know how to and where to put these parts as I have done this with my systems earlier too a lot of times, but this would be my costliest build to date, and I want to know about all the precautions and instructions I should follow. I want to know How to dual channel the RAM and all such techniques to make my rig run all the games released or those which will be released at max on my 1920 X 1080 monitor.

Things I own already:
Windows 7 Professional
2 TB seagate HDD
LG DVD Writer
Dell LED Monitor 1920 X 1080

Thanks in advance!

More about : rate rig guys give advice

September 27, 2012 11:41:20 AM

What are the main use of this system? if gaming it's all good, if video editing, i'd recommend 16GB RAM.
To Dual Channel your RAM: put one stick in the first slot from the left and then put the second stick in the second slot from the left. (refer to your motherboard manual for more info)
The ASUS Nvidia GTX 680 is a a better card than the 7970, but the 7970 has a much higher power consumption while the GTX 680 has a lower power consumption, and the 7970 has a larger VRAM, so it's your choice, either one of them will do.
And also get a 650 Watt PSU, from any good brands like: Seasonic, Corsair, XFX, Ernemax, Antec. But if you plan on SLI/Crossfire then get a 750 Watt PSU

Precaution(s) (you may or may not already know):
- when putting all the components in your case, make sure you are not working on metal surface or otherwise there is a slight chance that you might short out some components or shock them (correct me if i'm wrong anyone), so i'd suggest you to buy anti-static wrist wrap to be 100% sure. Note: this can sometimes happen depending on the area you are working on, this may or may not be correct.

- try not to damage your components (obviously), don't push in GFX card or RAM too hard even your CPU.

- overheating might be an issue, make sure your case has good airflow and also make sure air is not stalling inside the case. Intake and and exhaust should be even for a more precise and good airflow.
September 27, 2012 11:51:19 AM

If your not going to overclock the CPU just get the i5 3570.
Related resources
September 27, 2012 1:28:55 PM

hey thanks for the reply all, slith121 I will take care. I would like to read some benchmarks to really make out which one's better.
legion I guess i will overclock in future.
September 27, 2012 1:58:32 PM

Great build. 600w should be enough unless you're planning on Crossfire.
September 27, 2012 2:01:03 PM

Ah I am not thinking about that. I dont even have money for two gpu's lol.
September 27, 2012 2:26:23 PM

slith121 said:

- try not to damage your components (obviously), don't push in GFX card or RAM too hard even your CPU.

- overheating might be an issue, make sure your case has good airflow and also make sure air is not stalling inside the case. Intake and and exhaust should be even for a more precise and good airflow.

I watched a guy in a computer repair class putting ram in a motherboard and he was so afraid of breaking the motherboard, that he didn't seat the ram. Obviously it wouldn't boot up. It takes some force to seat the ram. I set the mobo on the foam packaging the mobo is boxed with and install the ram before I install the mobo, just so I have a flat, firm surface to seat the ram into the slots.
September 27, 2012 2:32:04 PM

My two cents:

New PSU: your's will work, better brands are Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling
Youtube "newegg computer build parts 2&3" will get you all the info you want on the actual build

Advice: I'd buy and install a CoolerMaster 212 Evo when I build this. That's what i did. It cost $30 but when I overclock (have not needed to yet), it's just a quick click. It would be a major pain in the ass to have to install aftermarket cooler after your rig is assebled. Clearly doable, WAY easier to do it while your assembling the first time. OBTW: this cooler is silent.

Good Luck !
September 27, 2012 3:10:42 PM

So can I consider this a good rig then. Or should i rethink on 7970HD vs GTX 680.
September 27, 2012 3:43:26 PM

yeah, it's a good rig and either/or video card is good. It mostly comes down to personal preference.
September 27, 2012 5:24:02 PM

Okay so if I go with 7970 HD will I be able to use 3D view or enjoy games and movies in 3D. Which devices I will have to buy for that.
(I am using red/cyan glasses with my current Nvidia card)
September 28, 2012 4:49:51 AM

Correct me if i'm wrong anybody with any details below.

Red/Cyan Glasses would not work with the new 3D technologies these days. And you'll have to buy a 3D monitor, some monitors comes with glasses some don't, so if they don't you will have to purchase a separate 3D glass.
Yes, with the 7970 you can play games and enjoy movies in 3D.
September 28, 2012 5:28:49 AM

Also, a small request, please post your finalized build here. The thing about the 7970 is it might max out amps on the +12v rail on PSUs that have low amps on it. A PSU can have a massive amount of wattage, but if it can't supply the necessary amperage the system demands, then it's useless.
September 28, 2012 11:43:57 AM

That PSU should only be rated for 564 watts, not 600. It has 47 amps on the 12v rail which is adequate for your needs. Personally, I would look for something based or made by Seasonic, Antec, or Corsair.
September 28, 2012 1:48:50 PM

Okay so final build is:

Intel core i5 3570k
Asus P8Z77-M PRO LGA 1155
ASUS ATI/AMD 7970 HD 3GB DDR5 DirectCU II
G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 4 GB (2 x 4 GB) PC RAM , Total = 8 GB 1600Mhz
Corsair Builder Series CX400 600W ( http://www.corsair.com/builder-series-cx600.html )

Other links are in my first post
September 28, 2012 1:57:13 PM

Nice job! Pls let us know how the build goes / went!
September 28, 2012 5:39:08 PM

I have ordered all these components and I will receive all but graphics card tomorrow. I will get gpu most probably by Monday.
But there is one doubt in my mind that will my 600W PSU run the above components nicely? Is this sufficient wattage? Or will I be able to overclock my system later with this PSU?
September 28, 2012 7:27:38 PM

Yes. It should be just right for your whole system, with a few OC.
September 29, 2012 2:46:11 AM

Hey guys I was calculating power consumption on some websites and all the results are different, and the difference is of more than 100+ Watts. I tried ASUS and eXtreme outerversion calculators. I have got the shipments of my products and I am just not sure if I should open my Corsair 600W PSU box.
September 29, 2012 3:51:11 AM

600w is plenty. Trust me.
Also, assuming you bought from Newegg, they have a 30-day refund/replacement service.
September 29, 2012 3:57:34 AM

yep I know that it can be replaced, but it would take time. So just to confirm I asked. Thanks
September 29, 2012 4:12:43 AM

^Delaying the opening of the box doesn't really change that. :p 
September 29, 2012 5:33:27 AM

HAHA...I have opened all, I was so excited. And could not stop myself.