Sign in with
Your question

Looking for some CPU Advice

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
February 10, 2013 3:04:03 PM

I have a really outdated system for what I'm trying to do with it so I've caved and am wanting to buy a new CPU (possibly Mobo too) and perhaps a GPU. The I off and on play SWTOR, Arkham Asylum, etc. So my question is what kind of CPU should I start looking for? I'll post what I have and can go from there.

Mobo: AM3 MSI-870A Fuzion (Can provide link)
CPU: Athlon II x4 640. (Most likely the main bottleneck)
GPU: XFX 6770 1GB
HDD: 500 GB, 7200 RPM.
RAM: 12 GB Kingston HyperX at 1600 MHz.
PSU: 550w Antec (Upgrade?)

I've found two different GPUs in the 660 Ti and the 7870 as they're close enough in price for me. I want to go for the 660 Ti so my question is what CPU should I pair with it? Should I go for a Phenom being that's the last AM3 I can use? Or should I scrap it altogether and go for something new?

More about : cpu advice

a b à CPUs
February 10, 2013 3:07:59 PM

your cheapest bet would be to find a phenom II x4/6 and OC it
then upgrade your GPU to something like the AMD 7850
your PSU will be fine for that

your next option would be a new CPU + mobo + video card

but a Phenom II x4/6 would be plenty fast for the games you mentioned especially if you can get to 3.4ghz+
m
l
February 10, 2013 3:18:40 PM

dirtyferret said:
your cheapest bet would be to find a phenom II x4/6 and OC it
then upgrade your GPU to something like the AMD 7850
your PSU will be fine for that

your next option would be a new CPU + mobo + video card

but a Phenom II x4/6 would be plenty fast for the games you mentioned especially if you can get to 3.4ghz+

Thank you for the quick reply. So the simplest thing to do is just up it to a Phenom? Okay. Would you recommend Black Edition ones? Or would just any Phenom II work? I've been recommended to buy a 965 or 975 BE so that's why I ask. Thank you again for the help! What would you recommend if I were to replace all three however? (Out of curiosity)
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 10, 2013 3:46:08 PM

the 965 or 975 (really 955 and up since they are basically the same CPU) are great upgrades for you and the black edition are easier to OC then non-black

as for an intel build, that would depend on your budget but expect to spend at least $180 on the CPU (sticking to an i3 would be too lateral of a move) and around $100 on the motherboard. the AMD 7850 are around $180

m
l
February 10, 2013 3:53:09 PM

dirtyferret said:
the 965 or 975 (really 955 and up since they are basically the same CPU) are great upgrades for you and the black edition are easier to OC then non-black

as for an intel build, that would depend on your budget but expect to spend at least $180 on the CPU (sticking to an i3 would be too lateral of a move) and around $100 on the motherboard. the AMD 7850 are around $180

Very true. I'd probably go for a 3450 or a 3570K if I were to go with to Intel. Upgrading all three would be in the neighborhood of probably $500 or so, right? Would you recommend a 7800/7900 ATI over a 660/670 Nvidia? I think that'll about wrap it up for me. Thank you again as you've been helpful.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 10, 2013 4:50:35 PM

Alex1x said:
Very true. I'd probably go for a 3450 or a 3570K if I were to go with to Intel. Upgrading all three would be in the neighborhood of probably $500 or so, right? Would you recommend a 7800/7900 ATI over a 660/670 Nvidia? I think that'll about wrap it up for me. Thank you again as you've been helpful.

some people prefer one over the other and that's fine. i personally have owned cards from both camp and currently have one nvidia in one PC and an AMD in another. my personal advice is get the most for your money and currently AMD has some well priced cards.

you can use tom's chart as a guide
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...
m
l
February 10, 2013 5:28:33 PM

dirtyferret said:
some people prefer one over the other and that's fine. i personally have owned cards from both camp and currently have one nvidia in one PC and an AMD in another. my personal advice is get the most for your money and currently AMD has some well priced cards.

you can use tom's chart as a guide
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...

I really appreciate it. Thank you. I'll look into this.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 10, 2013 5:47:03 PM

you could just try adding the graphics card while the processor isnt the best i would consider just getting a 7870 and trying that first you will see a huge difference any way just by adding that card..
m
l
February 11, 2013 1:21:59 AM

goodguy713 said:
you could just try adding the graphics card while the processor isnt the best i would consider just getting a 7870 and trying that first you will see a huge difference any way just by adding that card..

I'll keep this in mind too. Thank you very much for the advice!
m
l
!