Sign in with
Your question

Loss of performance with new GPU/MB

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 7, 2012 10:52:17 AM

To start, my tech knowledge is a beginner, I just started building last december.

I recently installed an Asus sabertooth Z77 atx mobo, replacing my Asus p8z68-m mAtx mobo.

I noticed that my FPS under moderate load dropped from ~50 fps to 23-32 fps. under load temp on my cpu went from 50-55c to ~65c, peaking at 72c, while my idle temp only went up from 32c to 34c.

I've since upgraded my gpu from a asus gtx560, to a asus gtx670, and saw no shift in fps performance. My temps with the GPU's under load did drop from 60-69c to 45-50c. The 670 is plugged into the main pcie 3.0 slot, GPUZ confirms it running at x16.

Since there is no change in performance with a new gpu, could my issues be with the mobo? The increase in temperature on the cpu, i'm thinking i didnt seat my heatsink properly/ misapplied the thermal compound? I have a replacement heatsink to install (CM hyper 212 evo)

both Mobo bios, and nvidia drivers(beta) are updated

Current setup: no overclock
i7 2600k @ 3.4ghz
16g ripjawz X 1600
asus gtx670 2g
asus sabertooth z77
corsair enthusiast TX850
arctic silver5 thermal paste used.
crucial m4 128g ssd
CM geminii heatsink
CM haf 922 cs with 2x 200mm(front intake, top exhaust),1x140mm(side intake), 1x 120mm(rear top exhaust)

More about : loss performance gpu

a b Î Nvidia
a c 118 Ĉ ASUS
August 7, 2012 11:17:35 AM

make sure you have all the bios updates..the old 8-1 bios that ships with the zabertooth not the newest. use the usb flashback port on the back of the mb and flash the mb bios updates. in the bios make sure ram set to xmp profile so it running at it fastest speed. also if the drive was not reimaged or clean install of windows. boot into safe mode and remove all the old mb drivers. then boot into normal mode and download intel chipset drivers and ssd drivers. the one on the cd are few months old. also with the new zabertooth mb and nvidia drivers...the nvidia drivers can down clock video cards to save power..sometime the drivers dont up clock the video cards...under load. try looking to see under gpu-z what your video card gpu speed and ram speed is.
if it lower then stock go into the nvidia control panel and turn off power savings.
m
l
August 7, 2012 11:24:21 AM

smorizio said:
make sure you have all the bios updates..the old 8-1 bios that ships with the zabertooth not the newest. use the usb flashback port on the back of the mb and flash the mb bios updates. in the bios make sure ram set to xmp profile so it running at it fastest speed. also if the drive was not reimaged or clean install of windows. boot into safe mode and remove all the old mb drivers. then boot into normal mode and download intel chipset drivers and ssd drivers. the one on the cd are few months old. also with the new zabertooth mb and nvidia drivers...the nvidia drivers can down clock video cards to save power..sometime the drivers dont up clock the video cards...under load. try looking to see under gpu-z what your video card gpu speed and ram speed is.
if it lower then stock go into the nvidia control panel and turn off power savings.

Thanks! My bios/nvidia drivers are up to date, but i will look into flashing. My boot drive was not reimaged/clean install.

I noticed yesterday that the speeds on the card are set lower than they should be compared to the advertised stock clocks. Off the top of my head the Core clock was at 710 vs the 915 advertised.
m
l
!