No graphics, no beep on startup, no post

hacknot

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
Been a Tom's Hardware viewer since the very beginning! You've come a long way Tom!!! :wahoo:

Repairing computer that suffered a Static discharge (lightning-yes it is on a surge protector. Charge came thru the grounding. Any electrical with 3 prong plug suffered some type of affect).

AMD Athlon 64 x2 Socket AM2, Biostar K8M800 MB, 2 gig ram (2x 1gig sticks), ATi Radeon X1950 GT AGP 256m.

Was home when strike occurred. Went into office, computer was still running but locked up, no response to anything (except 1 CDROM light was on constant and HDD light on constant), including off/on switch would not respond. Disconnected power cord to turn off. Waited a few minutes, attempted to turn on...nothing. Appeared no power. Here is the following repairs to far:

1. New PSU- No response, still appears no power. New PSU checked and metered-operation fine.
2. Refurbished Identical MB-Installed, this time all fans would come on, 1 DVD-ROM would respond, hard drive spinning, but no post, no video
3. Replaced CPU-Started with initial CPU, since no response tried with CPU that came with refurbished board (prior owner advised board was working when pulled, but CPU on board was not the original and could not confirm it was good). Same results-fans only running. Purchased third CPU guaranteed and tested, added-still no post/no video.
4. Ram checked-installed in another computer that would accept RAM type-RAM working fine.
5. CMOS reset (both by pin and battery)-no change.
6. On board video attempted-no video, no post
7. Installed known working AGP Video card-no change
8. HDD tested-working fine.
9. Ribbon cables replaced-no change.

Unfortunately do not have another Socket AM2 MB to test the CPU's.

What else am I missing??? Suggestions? HELP!!!

it seems to me that you're keeping all the components plugged in while you're exchanging some of them. Unplug the video card, disk drives and ram. Does it post?

lastly I'd look at your cables, as it might be working in other computer if you're hooking up with a different cable (from PSU to etc, or mobo to disk drive). Some of them might have borked.

And read through this one, it gives step by step on typical mobo response to gradually adding hardware.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262730-31-breadboarding

hacknot

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
Thanks for the quick reply!

I have attempted to boot with all disconnected (except for the ram, as my experience in the past indicated that boards would not post without some ram installed). I have replaced all the cables. I had been to the suggested site (since Tom's has been so helpful in the past). Still not had success.