Solved

Will a G2020 bottleneck a 7870?

I'm building a system and have yet to purchase a video card. I am using an intel pentium G2020 ivy bridge dual core (2.9GHz) as my cpu and am wondering if a Radeon 7870 would be too much for it to handle. Will I see a severe bottleneck or will it run okay? I didn't get an i3 because it was almost double the price at microcenter and I saw gaming benchmarks where it beat a pentium only because of higher clocks and not hyper threading.
3 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about will g2020 bottleneck 7870
  1. It will bottleneck in cpu intensive games.can you tell the resolution you play,single player or online and which games?
  2. ASHISH65 said:
    It will bottleneck in cpu intensive games.can you tell the resolution you play,single player or online and which games?

I play at 1080p and mostly play source games, DayZ, Skyrim, and WoW
  3. Best answer
    i3 3220 is better due to higher clocks as well as hyper-threading(in the games which use it).
    Games which run better on a processor which has ability process 4 or so threads simultaneously would run better on i3 3220.
    Anyway,pentium g2020 is fine for its price though,as quite a number of games now run better on a CPU which can process 3-4 threads at a time an i3 3220 would have been better.
    Not a big deal,you can always buy a new CPU-mobo combination in a year or two or so.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Pentium Bottleneck