Sign in with
Your question

Issue Booting Windows 7 on a New Build

Last response: in Systems
September 27, 2012 4:54:11 PM

Hi Guys,
This is my first build and have so far put several hours into it but have been left stumped by the last 4-5 hours with not being able to boot windows 7 off of my DVD drive.

I have gone into the Bios and set the boot priority such that my DVD drive boots first then it attempts to boot from Hard Drive. The Gigabyte splash screen appears for quite some time, then it goes to a black screen with the message:
"Reboot and Select proper Boot Device,
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot Device and press a key"

I'm completely stumped and all the other solutions online don't seem to relate to when a drive is clean and hasn't already got an operating system on.
a b $ Windows 7
September 30, 2012 3:23:43 AM

You don't give any information as to the components your system consists of. It will help if we knew what you were working with.

Having said that, let me tell you what I did to solve that problem on one of my boards. I had the Optical drive and HDD both connected to the Intel SATA III ports and had them set to AHCI mode. The optical drive refused to boot when connected to those headers in AHCI mode. I had to move the optical drive to the 3rd party SATA III headers and set them to IDE mode. Then the optical drive would act as a boot drive. This only occured with this one board (Gigabyte) and the one brand of optical drive which I can't remember.
!