New Processor or new graphics card?

The Taxman

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
Hey
I am considering a new processor but after reading some threads it came to me that for like £15 more I could get a new graphics card instead. I was planning on getting a 3.0ghz quad core processor to replace my 2.1ghz triple core processor. I don't know what to do. My current Specs are:
Motherboard: F1A55-M LE FM1 Socket
CPU: AMD A6-3500 APU 2.1ghz triple core
Graphics Chip: Radeon6670HD
RAM: 4GB
HDD: 500GB
Power Supply: 650w

Help would be appreciated
Thanks

i8myhippo

Honorable
May 20, 2012
I'm assuming that you play games. If not, ignore this post. It may be important to know what kinds of games are you playing? Also, if you get a GPU monitor, you will be able to tell if it is the CPU or GPU that is holding you back. Again, this varies on the games you're playing.

millwright

Distinguished
In general, it depends on what you do with it.
If you Flight Sim I'd say CPU hands down.

Gaming is a little less clear.
Yes high end Games need a better GPU, but your CPU is slow enough to bottleneck, with High end GPUs.

Azn Cracker

Distinguished
The amd apu's are pretty bad for gaming. Upgrading to another llano cpu won't give you much of a boost. If you change the cpu to anything other than a apu, then you have to get a new motherboard a well.

So its probably best to get a better graphics card. Maybe a 7850 or a 7770 if you don't want to spend that much.

The Taxman

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
I play all sorts really from team fortress and left for dead to skyrim, dishonored and the sims 3. So a new card would be the better option? although my processor is fairly slower than most

The Taxman

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
I could get one this wek then the next in maybe a month, but if i got a 7000 series wouldnt it be bottlenecked by the 2.1ghz processor? And would it not be best to get a higher processor now, then get the graphics card after? so there is no chance of bottleneck

TRENDING THREADS