Gtx 680, major problems

dean0351

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
I finally got my 680 today after waiting months on the step up list. when I first installed it the card seemed to run great. I started up an old game I use to play (Lineage 2) and everything seemed to run smooth other than I kinda thought I was getting low fps exspecially on a 1680x1050 monitor (no cash to upgrade that right now)
I was getting around 20 fps when in towns with lots of other players around but 120-150 fps in less populated spots. either way I was happy with it and just figured it was due to the old game engine, it ran fine for about 2-3 hours then all the sudden my screen looked kinda like red/black checker board then the screen went black and pc crashed.

After several reboots and trys to reinstall drivers and resteating the card the screen still looks weird with green/red and stuck on some super low resolution (not sure what) and I couldn't change it, also when I right clicked on the desktop there was not option Nvidia control panel anymore. so I took it out and put in an old 8600 GTS that I was using while waiting on the 680 and now everything looks fine again.
Did i get a bad card or is there some fix for this that i just cant seem to find?

dean0351

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
OS = Win7 ULT 64 Bit
Case = Cooler Master Haf X 912
CPU = i7 2700k @ 4.6
HSF = Hyper 212 EVO
Mobo = Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
Ram = 16Gb G.Skills 1866
PSU = Thermaltake TP 675W
SSD = Intel 320 Series 120Gb ( OS / some games )
HDD = 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM
GPU = 8600GTS back to this untill I can figure out whats goin on with the 680

centaurius

Distinguished
May 2, 2012
And did u try that 680 with the latest beta drivers? The latest beta drivers from nvidia will solve some issues that were in whql 301.42

And btw try using driversweeper to compeltly remove the old drivers. And after reboot install the newer drivers with the new GPU.

iamcacao

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
This seams to be a pretty serious problem and I don't think it's the drivers. You should contact nvidia see what they say and maybe try to get a replacement. I think your card is faulty, it happens every so often.

dean0351

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012

yes my first thought was also faulty card, im just hoping maybe its a software issue that i can figure out b4 i have to send it back and wait another 1-2 weeks.

dean0351

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Well I removed all old drivers through uninstall and driver sweeper then put the 680 back in and installed the latest beta drivers. After restarting when the beta drivers installed my pc is now stuck in an endless bootloop everytime it starts to show the windows loading screen it reboots.

Really sucks I waited on the step up list since the realease of the 680 and now im gonna have to wait again while I sent it back.

iamcacao

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

Yeah unfortunately that's definitely a hardware problem. Try raging at nvidia telling them you demand a new one as soon as possible. Maybe you can make them ship it faster.

dean0351

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
This is the first time for me need to deal with EVGA RMA services but their reputation for it is there reason I have always bought EVGA cards.

No hassle at all simply a 2-3 min phone call to tell them what happened and I got a ticket # for Advanced RMA with cross shipping, hopefully its fast to get approved and shipped I'd really like to get my pc back up and running before the weekend.

dean0351

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Already approved in a little over an hour from submitting for RMA, Outstanding service EVGA!!!
should ship in 1-2 days (fingers crossed and hoping i get it by friday)

iamcacao

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

There you go! Have fun with your new card :)

Samad_kecik

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012

I got my new ASUS GTX 680 card a few days ago n facing quite similar issue. FYI am using ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME mobo. At first i thought it was my hardware problem. But i have a feeling that it is actually NVIDIA or ASUS driver issues. Then i reformatted Windows couple of time, reinstalled everything but still the problem exists. But then i try something.
1) Reformat Windows 7
2) Install GPU driver... in my case am using 301.42 WHQL ver. reboot... so far everything seem ok n no green/red and
stuck image occur. No "nvidia driver stop working n recovered" indicator appear like it would b4.
3) Install mobo driver n reboot .... no problem detected.
4) Install mobo utilities except ASUS ROG Connect n ASUS ROG Connect Plus... phew still ok, no error detected.
5) Install those 2 utilities program... the problem reappear. not sure which of those 2 coz the problem though.

After that i redo all those steps except the last one... Everything is working pretty great... am testing on many games i have, ALL Assassins's creed games, crysis, skyrim n some others. it works juz fine. But something still bothering me... when i play APB reloaded... i do get a bit freeze image n it does sometimes went crash. still haven't figure out why.

BTW i hope this will help some of u guys especially ASUS mobo users. tell me if its working or if u got more understanding about my problem

Cooler Master HAF X casing/ Cooler Master Aquagate MAX water cooler/ Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000W/ ASUS MAXIMUS IV Extreme/ Intel i7 2600K/ 4GB Corsair DOMINATOR GT DDR3 2133/ ASUS GTX 680 Direct CU II TOP/ Intel SSD 510 series 120 GB

It is either 1] Hardware failure or 2] driver or software conflicts, a Graphics card should for all intents and purposes be plug and go but sometimes yes a format can work, I am sorry you had to wait so long to be let down.

On a conspiracy stand point, there is something brittle about GK104 architecture, our team MSI melted a chip through the PCB on what was a modest overclock, something is off about these cards. I am still stuck in the GTX 8800 and 285 days.

dean0351

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012

I actually never thought of it being software related other than the gpu drivers since it worked fine for a few hours. after reading this I went to asus site and noticed there has been afew bios upgrades released, they dont say anything about gpu but its possible the new bios wwould help. I'm thinking I will upgrade to the newest bios and try again. I would rather save reinstall for a last chance try, really hate having to reintall all my programs and stuff.

Samad_kecik

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012

did you install those last 2 mobo utilities softwares (ASUS ROG Connect n ASUS ROG Connect Plus)? if u do try to uninstall them first.... try this n tell me how does it goes.

Cooler Master HAF X casing/ Cooler Master Aquagate MAX water cooler/ Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000W/ ASUS MAXIMUS IV Extreme/ Intel i7 2600K/ 4GB Corsair DOMINATOR GT DDR3 2133/ ASUS GTX 680 Direct CU II TOP/ Intel SSD 510 series 120 GB

Billgrill

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
I just got the exact same issue...
EVGA GTx 680 SC 2GB, then blue lines started aprearing and crashed. When i restart, i get low res and nvidia GPU is not detected.

Any solutions? :fou: