  • Routers
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
December 13, 2004 11:18:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

Any help with the following problem would be much appreciated.

I have an ADSL modem router that has worked fine for 18 months.
I have added a wireless router.
I know I should have got an access point but this router has a media port I wish to use.
Internet access from both routers works fine.

I would like the two routers to behave as if it were one network.

The problem I have is that a PC on the first router can not see a PC on the other router.
Put them on the same router and all is fine.

I think this may be a subnet mask problem.
Here is the configuration of both routers;

Modem Router (Netgear DG814)
WAN: static internet IP
LAN IP: 192.168.0.1
DCHP addressing range 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.254
Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0

Wireless Router (Netgear WTG634U)
WAN 192.168.0.2
LAN IP: 192.168.1.1
DCHP addressing range 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.154
subnetmask: 255.255.255.0

All PCs running XP
Automatic IP assignment

Thanks
Steve.

More about : configuring routers

Anonymous
December 13, 2004 11:18:27 PM

"Steve°" <Steve@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Any help with the following problem would be much appreciated.
>
> I have an ADSL modem router that has worked fine for 18 months.
> I have added a wireless router.
> I know I should have got an access point but this router has a media port
I wish to use.
> Internet access from both routers works fine.
>
> I would like the two routers to behave as if it were one network.
>
> The problem I have is that a PC on the first router can not see a PC on
the other router.
> Put them on the same router and all is fine.
>
> I think this may be a subnet mask problem.
> Here is the configuration of both routers;
>
> Modem Router (Netgear DG814)
> WAN: static internet IP
> LAN IP: 192.168.0.1
> DCHP addressing range 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.254
> Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0
>
> Wireless Router (Netgear WTG634U)
> WAN 192.168.0.2
> LAN IP: 192.168.1.1
> DCHP addressing range 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.154
> subnetmask: 255.255.255.0
>
> All PCs running XP
> Automatic IP assignment
>
> Thanks
> Steve.

DHCP addressess are on 2 subnets
LAN IP: 192.168.1.1 is 1 subnet and LAN IP: 192.168.0.1 is another... here
is the correct way to setup 2 routers (I have 2 routers in my system)
router 1> address of 192.168.0.1
router 2> address of 192.168.0.2
DHCP on in only 1 device
mask of 255.255.255.0 is correct throughout the system. clients of the
routers get their addresses only one router supplys this.

HTH
kk
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 2:04:12 PM

"Kaptain Krunch" <captainkrunch@comcast.net> wrote in message news:-smdneRjP7ZRhiPcRVn-3A@comcast.com...

"Steve°" <Steve@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Any help with the following problem would be much appreciated.
>
> I have an ADSL modem router that has worked fine for 18 months.
> I have added a wireless router.
> I know I should have got an access point but this router has a media port
I wish to use.
> Internet access from both routers works fine.
>
> I would like the two routers to behave as if it were one network.
>
> The problem I have is that a PC on the first router can not see a PC on
the other router.
> Put them on the same router and all is fine.
>
> I think this may be a subnet mask problem.
> Here is the configuration of both routers;
>
> Modem Router (Netgear DG814)
> WAN: static internet IP
> LAN IP: 192.168.0.1
> DCHP addressing range 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.254
> Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0
>
> Wireless Router (Netgear WTG634U)
> WAN 192.168.0.2
> LAN IP: 192.168.1.1
> DCHP addressing range 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.154
> subnetmask: 255.255.255.0
>
> All PCs running XP
> Automatic IP assignment
>
> Thanks
> Steve.

DHCP addressess are on 2 subnets
LAN IP: 192.168.1.1 is 1 subnet and LAN IP: 192.168.0.1 is another... here
is the correct way to setup 2 routers (I have 2 routers in my system)
router 1> address of 192.168.0.1
router 2> address of 192.168.0.2
DHCP on in only 1 device
mask of 255.255.255.0 is correct throughout the system. clients of the
routers get their addresses only one router supplys this.

HTH
kk

KK thanks,
I am a littel confused to which settings to change on the second router.
Currently WAN 192.168.0.2 & LAN 192.168.1.1
do I change both WAN & LAN to 192.168.0.xxx addresses?

Steve.
December 14, 2004 3:43:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

ok, let me see, router 1 should have an addy of 192.168.0.1 and router 2
should have and addy of 192.168.0.2.
DHCP on in router 1
DHCP off on router 2
Router 1 should be set to default gateway
router 2 mode should be set to router/nat only
all computers should be getting address from router 1 now, as far as your
wan address that is given by ISP and router 1 should have the wan connection
and should get its addy automatically.

all computers have different names and all should have the SAME workgroup
name.

HTH, let me know what happens.

KK

> "Kaptain Krunch" <captainkrunch@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
> "Steve°" <Steve@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > Any help with the following problem would be much appreciated.
> >
> > I have an ADSL modem router that has worked fine for 18 months.
> > I have added a wireless router.
> > I know I should have got an access point but this router has a media
port
> I wish to use.
> > Internet access from both routers works fine.
> >
> > I would like the two routers to behave as if it were one network.
> >
> > The problem I have is that a PC on the first router can not see a PC on
> the other router.
> > Put them on the same router and all is fine.
> >
> > I think this may be a subnet mask problem.
> > Here is the configuration of both routers;
> >
> > Modem Router (Netgear DG814)
> > WAN: static internet IP
> > LAN IP: 192.168.0.1
> > DCHP addressing range 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.254
> > Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0
> >
> > Wireless Router (Netgear WTG634U)
> > WAN 192.168.0.2
> > LAN IP: 192.168.1.1
> > DCHP addressing range 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.154
> > subnetmask: 255.255.255.0
> >
> > All PCs running XP
> > Automatic IP assignment
> >
> > Thanks
> > Steve.
> >
> DHCP addressess are on 2 subnets
> LAN IP: 192.168.1.1 is 1 subnet and LAN IP: 192.168.0.1 is another... here
> is the correct way to setup 2 routers (I have 2 routers in my system)
> router 1> address of 192.168.0.1
> router 2> address of 192.168.0.2
> DHCP on in only 1 device
> mask of 255.255.255.0 is correct throughout the system. clients of the
> routers get their addresses only one router supplys this.
>
> HTH
> kk
>
> KK thanks,
> I am a littel confused to which settings to change on the second router.
> Currently WAN 192.168.0.2 & LAN 192.168.1.1
> do I change both WAN & LAN to 192.168.0.xxx addresses?
>
> Steve.

Anonymous
December 14, 2004 3:47:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

OBTW, what protos are you using...you might try netbui or spx/ipx netbui
compatable.

KK

"Steve°" <Steve@nospam.com> wrote in message

> "Kaptain Krunch" <captainkrunch@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
> "Steve°" <Steve@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > Any help with the following problem would be much appreciated.
> >
> > I have an ADSL modem router that has worked fine for 18 months.
> > I have added a wireless router.
> > I know I should have got an access point but this router has a media
port
> I wish to use.
> > Internet access from both routers works fine.
> >
> > I would like the two routers to behave as if it were one network.
> >
> > The problem I have is that a PC on the first router can not see a PC on
> the other router.
> > Put them on the same router and all is fine.
> >
> > I think this may be a subnet mask problem.
> > Here is the configuration of both routers;
> >
> > Modem Router (Netgear DG814)
> > WAN: static internet IP
> > LAN IP: 192.168.0.1
> > DCHP addressing range 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.254
> > Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0
> >
> > Wireless Router (Netgear WTG634U)
> > WAN 192.168.0.2
> > LAN IP: 192.168.1.1
> > DCHP addressing range 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.154
> > subnetmask: 255.255.255.0
> >
> > All PCs running XP
> > Automatic IP assignment
> >
> > Thanks
> > Steve.
> >
> DHCP addressess are on 2 subnets
> LAN IP: 192.168.1.1 is 1 subnet and LAN IP: 192.168.0.1 is another... here
> is the correct way to setup 2 routers (I have 2 routers in my system)
> router 1> address of 192.168.0.1
> router 2> address of 192.168.0.2
> DHCP on in only 1 device
> mask of 255.255.255.0 is correct throughout the system. clients of the
> routers get their addresses only one router supplys this.
>
> HTH
> kk
>
> KK thanks,
> I am a littel confused to which settings to change on the second router.
> Currently WAN 192.168.0.2 & LAN 192.168.1.1
> do I change both WAN & LAN to 192.168.0.xxx addresses?
>
> Steve.

Anonymous
December 15, 2004 5:36:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

Thanks for the reply,
Still no success.

When I set router 2 to 192.168.0.2 I can not link to it (I do match the IP addy on the PC (192.168.0.11)
I am still mystified by the address structuring of router 2.
It has its own ip addy (changed to 192.168.0.2) which I can set static or will pick up from router 1, and a LAN addy (192.168.1.1).
When I change the LAN addy, that is when I can no longer link to the setup screen, I can ping the address.
I am also not able to se a setting for router/nat

Thanks
Steve.

"Kaptain Krunch" <captainkrunch@comcast.net> wrote in message news:_Ymdncnv693TuyLcRVn-2Q@comcast.com...
ok, let me see, router 1 should have an addy of 192.168.0.1 and router 2
should have and addy of 192.168.0.2.
DHCP on in router 1
DHCP off on router 2
Router 1 should be set to default gateway
router 2 mode should be set to router/nat only
all computers should be getting address from router 1 now, as far as your
wan address that is given by ISP and router 1 should have the wan connection
and should get its addy automatically.

all computers have different names and all should have the SAME workgroup
name.

HTH, let me know what happens.

KK

"Steve°" <Steve@nospam.com> wrote in message

> "Kaptain Krunch" <captainkrunch@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
> "Steve°" <Steve@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > Any help with the following problem would be much appreciated.
> >
> > I have an ADSL modem router that has worked fine for 18 months.
> > I have added a wireless router.
> > I know I should have got an access point but this router has a media
port
> I wish to use.
> > Internet access from both routers works fine.
> >
> > I would like the two routers to behave as if it were one network.
> >
> > The problem I have is that a PC on the first router can not see a PC on
> the other router.
> > Put them on the same router and all is fine.
> >
> > I think this may be a subnet mask problem.
> > Here is the configuration of both routers;
> >
> > Modem Router (Netgear DG814)
> > WAN: static internet IP
> > LAN IP: 192.168.0.1
> > DCHP addressing range 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.254
> > Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0
> >
> > Wireless Router (Netgear WTG634U)
> > WAN 192.168.0.2
> > LAN IP: 192.168.1.1
> > DCHP addressing range 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.154
> > subnetmask: 255.255.255.0
> >
> > All PCs running XP
> > Automatic IP assignment
> >
> > Thanks
> > Steve.
> >
> DHCP addressess are on 2 subnets
> LAN IP: 192.168.1.1 is 1 subnet and LAN IP: 192.168.0.1 is another... here
> is the correct way to setup 2 routers (I have 2 routers in my system)
> router 1> address of 192.168.0.1
> router 2> address of 192.168.0.2
> DHCP on in only 1 device
> mask of 255.255.255.0 is correct throughout the system. clients of the
> routers get their addresses only one router supplys this.
>
> HTH
> kk
>
> KK thanks,
> I am a littel confused to which settings to change on the second router.
> Currently WAN 192.168.0.2 & LAN 192.168.1.1
> do I change both WAN & LAN to 192.168.0.xxx addresses?
>
> Steve.

Anonymous
December 18, 2004 5:28:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

ok, I guess I am confusing you on what I was trying to say... in other words
router 1 has static ip addy of any address it will take IE 192.168.xxx.yyy
the xxx is the sub net the yyy is the computer or device (router) you are
addressing. for 2 networks to route to each other they MUST be on the same
XXX subnet so those numbers must be the same subnet on both routers (unless
you want to modify routing tables). as for the yyy net, those have to be
different for router or computer. DNS supplys addresses to all the clients
and those must be on the same subnet (xxx). If you give all your computers a
static addy, then you can turn dns off. oh, BTW, when you change addresses
in a router then you have to change the subnet and gateway in the computer
(hint>rt clk my network places > clk properties > tcpip >properties.)

kk

> [...]
> > > Automatic IP assignment
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Steve.
> > >
> > DHCP addressess are on 2 subnets
> > LAN IP: 192.168.1.1 is 1 subnet and LAN IP: 192.168.0.1 is another...
here
> > is the correct way to setup 2 routers (I have 2 routers in my system)
> > router 1> address of 192.168.0.1
> > router 2> address of 192.168.0.2
> > DHCP on in only 1 device
> > mask of 255.255.255.0 is correct throughout the system. clients of the
> > routers get their addresses only one router supplys this.
> >
> > HTH
> > kk
> >
> > KK thanks,
> > I am a littel confused to which settings to change on the second router.
> > Currently WAN 192.168.0.2 & LAN 192.168.1.1
> > do I change both WAN & LAN to 192.168.0.xxx addresses?

Anonymous
December 21, 2004 9:22:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

BTW, also you must have only 1 router connected at one time to 1 computer,
then hook the routers after you change the subnet on each router sepratly,.

KK

"Kaptain Krunch" <captainkrunch@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:p oCdne77p_GEQV7cRVn-sQ@comcast.com...
> [...]
> > > I wish to use.

> on
> > > the other router.

> > > DHCP addressess are on 2 subnets
> > > LAN IP: 192.168.1.1 is 1 subnet and LAN IP: 192.168.0.1 is another...
> here
> > > is the correct way to setup 2 routers (I have 2 routers in my system)
> > > router 1> address of 192.168.0.1
> > > router 2> address of 192.168.0.2
> > > DHCP on in only 1 device
> > > mask of 255.255.255.0 is correct throughout the system. clients of the
> > > routers get their addresses only one router supplys this.
> > >
> > > HTH
> > > kk
> > >
> > > KK thanks,
> > > I am a littel confused to which settings to change on the second
router.
> > > Currently WAN 192.168.0.2 & LAN 192.168.1.1
> > > do I change both WAN & LAN to 192.168.0.xxx addresses?

Anonymous
December 22, 2004 4:01:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

Not had time to try out the mods yet.
Thanks for your help.
I will let you know how I get on.
Steve.