Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Win 8 Pro Yay or nay?

Last response: in Windows 8
Share

Get Windows 8 Pro. Yes or no. Explain please

Total: 87 votes (19 blank votes)

  • Yes
  • 59 %
  • No
  • 42 %
January 29, 2013 8:37:35 PM

Hello members,

I'm a student at my local junior college where I'm studying computer information technology & systems. I have the option to get windows 8 pro from my school for free. The question is should I get it. I've heard a lot of things about windows 8 most of which is negative. But this is another thread asking those of whom that have used it whether they like it or not. Please don't just say it sucks with no reasons behind it. And if this is a duplicate thread I'm sorry for that in advance.

My other question is a 120gb SSD enough to put windows 8 pro and windows 7 pro 64 bit in a dual boot configuration with some space left on it?

System:
i5 3570k 3.9ghz
Corsair 16gb 1600mhz ram
Intel 520 120gb SSD
1TB HDD.
Corsair hx750w
2xHD6870 Xfire
Corsair 600t

More about : win pro yay nay

January 29, 2013 8:41:55 PM

It performs better than Windows 7 in general. No reason not to get it if it's there.
January 29, 2013 8:45:03 PM

Go for it. It's free(for you), runs slightly faster, integrates with your uEFI for faster boots, and does everything Windows 7 can do. And the new task manager is nice.
Related resources
January 29, 2013 9:36:14 PM

What about my SSD is it going to be enough to fit them both? 120gb?
January 29, 2013 9:46:50 PM

Windows 7 uses about 23 GB and Windows 8 uses about 13 GB, so yes you should have enough space.
a b * Windows 8
January 29, 2013 9:49:08 PM

Yes get windows 8. It comes with full downgrade rights to vista, and windows 7 and has transfer rights to new machines. Windows 8 runs better than windows 7 anyway. if you hate it, you can downgrade for free.
January 29, 2013 9:52:56 PM

On your second question: As you go over the time, updates to both Windows versions will start eating a lot of your precious storage, so you might reconsider keeping both of them over long term.
a b * Windows 8
January 29, 2013 11:01:11 PM

Hi :) 

You are obviously a gamer...so stick with 7... some games give problems with 8...

My shops build gaming machines and we put 7 Pro 64 bit on them.... with cards like mine >>>> http://www.powercolor.com/us/products_features.asp?id=4...

And before anyone says what gaming problems with 8, have a search HERE at Toms...you will find LOTS...


All the best Brett :) 
a b * Windows 8
January 29, 2013 11:10:51 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

You are obviously a gamer...so stick with 7... some games give problems with 8...

My shops build gaming machines and we put 7 Pro 64 bit on them.... with cards like mine >>>> http://www.powercolor.com/us/products_features.asp?id=4...

And before anyone says what gaming problems with 8, have a search HERE at Toms...you will find LOTS...


All the best Brett :) 

very predictable
stick with 8 the issues have been solved with compatible updates.
January 29, 2013 11:37:57 PM

I have both, I like Windows 8. I don't notice much of a difference in performance. If it's free and computers are your topic of study then I recommend picking it up just to tinker with it and as a learning experience.
a b * Windows 8
January 29, 2013 11:49:06 PM

Windows 8. Yes.... but get Stardock's Start8 as well for $5.

As a gamer I've been using it for about six months. Points:

Pros:
- faster boot
- more secure
- more stable
- improved Windows Explorer
- various other improvements

Cons:
- new Start Screen (*Not a big con because Start8 can bypass this. Maybe in the FUTURE it will be useful as more programs utilize it).
- Minor incompatibilities (game issues are very few. Under 1%.)

**DUAL BOOTING:
Don't do this. Stick with Windows 8. There would be very few, if any, reasons to use Windows 7 as well as Windows 8. Nor is 120GB sufficient for two Operating Systems. I bought a 60GB SSD (55GB usable) and had 35GB used in the first week with NO GAMES. In two months I completely ran out of space, not to mention you should keep at least 20% of the space unused.

Summary:
There's no need to upgrade, but if building a new system definitely get Windows 8 + Start8. The Pros outweigh the Cons by far.
a b * Windows 8
January 30, 2013 12:03:14 AM

Didn't see filp a coin so didn't volt.

1) Boot time is very much improved. about half of win 7. BUT realisticly that only a saving of maybe 10 seconds. so if your only boot once a day, no big issue.
2) programs load time, didn't see much diff - but hard two measure when both load in in blink of eye.
3) Much harder to get use to (that is comparing going from xp-> 7 vs 7->8.). Back to memorizing a bunch of shortcuts and finding 3rd party apps (ie replace start menu). Good thing google is handy.

While I've put it on my laptop, It will be a while before it goes on my desktop, infact may wait for win 9

2nd question, both on a 120 gig SF22xx Sata III SSD. Short answer - NO
1). first off. Avalible space for a 120 gig, lets see formated that is 111 gigs - Recommend free space so that Wear leveling, Garbage Collector, and Trim can work their magic. Use to be 10%, but recently read over at anandtech that free space is better @ 20 -> 25%. 111- - 20% = approx 90 gigs.
Yea maybe win 7 takes about 23 gigs and Win 9 about 13 Gigs. Personnally I'd never use an SSD if all I put on it was the OS, I buy them to put OS + PROGRAMS, Did any one say you if you want to use the same progam in both OSs you have to DOUBLE install.
Other consideration on dual boot.
1) I do not recommend single drive and software boot manager. If it screws up you could hose both OSs an NOT be able to boot to either. worse case is you brick your SSD (SSDs less forgiving than HDDs plus they cost more - LOL) There is currently one post where the OP is having carniption (Spelling error) fits tring to repair.
2) What I do recommend for daul boot is two seperate drives. You only connect One drive, load OS. then disconnect that drive and connect 2nd drive and load that OS. You then set boot prioity in BIOS to the OS you plan on using most often. To select the other OS you simply hit the Hot key during post that brings up a boot menu and selct the other drive - works great, well almost. With win 7 & win 8 there is a minor problem (at least on My system) if I boot win 8, then later boot to win 7, win 7 requires that I run checkdisk (has NOT created any problem as checkdisk finds no real error).

My Bottom line, is if you have a good Win 7 install and NO problems, Unless you can get it at a great price (ie uSoft was offering it for $15 to upgrade a NEW system. also saw it for $40) I wouldn't bother. However, if you love and embrace the "NEW" then go for it!.

While many here at Tom's thinks it the best thing since sliced bread, Well, just like vista, the corporate world is NOT rushing out to buy it. Different reasons (vista was very buggy initially, win 8 more of a learning curve and just not that much better than win 7 as far as corporations thinking goes) - but the end result is the same, Win 8 may be short lived and replaced with Windows 9. Did someone say they fired the HEAD developer - ouch.
a b * Windows 8
January 30, 2013 12:15:01 AM

RetiredChief said:
Didn't see filp a coin so didn't volt.

1) Boot time is very much improved. about half of win 7. BUT realisticly that only a saving of maybe 10 seconds. so if your only boot once a day, no big issue.
2) programs load time, didn't see much diff - but hard two measure when both load in in blink of eye.
3) Much harder to get use to (that is comparing going from xp-> 7 vs 7->8.). Back to memorizing a bunch of shortcuts and finding 3rd party apps (ie replace start menu). Good thing google is handy.

While I've put it on my laptop, It will be a while before it goes on my desktop, infact may wait for win 9

2nd question, both on a 120 gig SF22xx Sata III SSD. Short answer - NO
1). first off. Avalible space for a 120 gig, lets see formated that is 111 gigs - Recommend free space so that Wear leveling, Garbage Collector, and Trim can work their magic. Use to be 10%, but recently read over at anandtech that free space is better @ 20 -> 25%. 111- - 20% = approx 90 gigs.
Yea maybe win 7 takes about 23 gigs and Win 9 about 13 Gigs. Personnally I'd never use an SSD if all I put on it was the OS, I buy them to put OS + PROGRAMS, Did any one say you if you want to use the same progam in both OSs you have to DOUBLE install.
Other consideration on dual boot.
1) I do not recommend single drive and software boot manager. If it screws up you could hose both OSs an NOT be able to boot to either. worse case is you brick your SSD (SSDs less forgiving than HDDs plus they cost more - LOL) There is currently one post where the OP is having carniption (Spelling error) fits tring to repair.
2) What I do recommend for daul boot is two seperate drives. You only connect One drive, load OS. then disconnect that drive and connect 2nd drive and load that OS. You then set boot prioity in BIOS to the OS you plan on using most often. To select the other OS you simply hit the Hot key during post that brings up a boot menu and selct the other drive - works great, well almost. With win 7 & win 8 there is a minor problem (at least on My system) if I boot win 8, then later boot to win 7, win 7 requires that I run checkdisk (has NOT created any problem as checkdisk finds no real error).

My Bottom line, is if you have a good Win 7 install and NO problems, Unless you can get it at a great price (ie uSoft was offering it for $15 to upgrade a NEW system. also saw it for $40) I wouldn't bother. However, if you love and embrace the "NEW" then go for it!.

While many here at Tom's thinks it the best thing since sliced bread, Well, just like vista, the corporate world is NOT rushing out to buy it. Different reasons (vista was very buggy initially, win 8 more of a learning curve and just not that much better than win 7 as far as corporations thinking goes) - but the end result is the same, Win 8 may be short lived and replaced with Windows 9. Did someone say they fired the HEAD developer - ouch.



Hi :) 

Nice , well balanced opinion ...

All the best Brett :) 
January 30, 2013 12:25:31 AM

What Brett928S2 said ^^ :) 
a b * Windows 8
January 30, 2013 12:34:49 AM

Thanks, both of you.
a b * Windows 8
January 30, 2013 12:48:38 AM

Still trying to find a reason to switch back to 7, have not found one yet.
January 30, 2013 5:15:27 AM

So to sum this all up don't do dual boot with both OS's on my puny spaced SSD. Some people like 8 but most don't like it at all. Since I'm a student learning new technology I will get it.

The new problem is now where to put windows 8 on. I have my 1 TB hdd with my SSD, I also have another 500gb drive.

So I will copy all of the contents from the 1TB to the 500gb (there's not that much stuff), then format and partition the TB drive into 850gb and 150gb partitions and put windows 8 on that. And when I want to use windows 8 I'll just have to disconnect the SSD and use the other drive. Am I making this too complicated or is there another way?
January 30, 2013 7:08:02 AM

Too complicated, dual boot, and annoying checkdisk issue after you boot Windows 7 with Windows 8 disk connected, as retired chief said. Why do you need Windows 7 anyway? I may have missed something. Just put Windows 8 on the SSD and use the other disk(s) for storage. You don't need to partition anything.
I have an idea for another poll. Lots of people hate Windows 8 and are "waiting for Windows 9", because MS will surely come to their senses and make Windows 9 look and feel exactly like Windows 7 or maybe XP.
Poll question: will Microsoft abandon the Modern/Metro UI ?
a b * Windows 8
January 30, 2013 9:46:12 AM

Well in a few days windows 8 will be going up to 199 online price., be ready to pay at market level well over 200. Versions after are only going to be upgrades to 8. You’ll need to buy 8 to upgrade. Love the description going back to 7 is EXCRUCIATING, think of windows 8 as having split personalties, once u learn how to deal with them you have it master. THERE IS NO IFS ABOUT IT, WINDOWS 8 IS FAR MORE ADVANCED THAN ANY OS MADE TO DATE. The ones whinning about it here have no idea of the updated features and the recent updates it has. UNTILL YOU ACTUALLY USE THE RETAIL STOP YOUR USELESS WHINNING.
Head over to pcworld and see what Big Bad Brad has to say.

QUOTE:
Between a bevy of under-the-hood improvements—once you're used to Windows 8's ultrafast boot times, going back to a Windows 7 PC is excruciating —and the seamless, multi-PC experience enabled by the cloud connectivity of SkyDrive and a Microsoft Account, Windows 8 basically feels like a smarter, faster, better version of its predecessor after you've tweaked it to your liking and spent some time learning its nuances

I use metro for a total multi media pc on 60 led,tv
a b * Windows 8
January 30, 2013 11:02:44 AM

*Summary of points*

1. The $40 UPGRADE to Windows 8 Pro expires very soon (Jan 31st). However, if you ALREADY have Windows 7 then don't bother.

2. The PRO version offers little for most people. You can find Windows 8 64-bit OEM for only $85. http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=77180&vpn=WN7%2D00404&...

3. DUAL BOOT - Just stay away from this. I've tested 100 games and many programs. Very, very few issues exist and most of those will be fixed. Dual-booting is a headche for other reasons too.

4. SSD?
- An SSD for Windows makes a HUGE difference over a Hard Drive.
- GAMES can be installed on a Hard Drive too such as the STEAM folder on your 1TB drive.

5. SSD size and other tips?
- 120GB is optimal for most people.
- 60GB is possible but don't install games.
- Use no more than 80% of the SSD (Samsung's Magician can apply "over provisioning" which is recommended. It blocks off some space that you can't touch to avoid slow-down issues over time.)
- apply the latest FIRMWARE (always backup first; may need to do a BOOT update with a CD/USB stick).
- *HIBERNATION and PAGEFILE??? (After much research I have disabled Hibernation which removes the file and set my Pagefile to 2GB). This both saves space and also eliminates much WRITING to slow wearing on the SSD (My Hiberfil was 12.7 GB so hibernating or shutting down 2x per day alone is about 5000GB of writes in a year!!!).

6. Backup:
I use Acronis True Image 2013. I auto backup from the Windows SSD to the Hard Drive ("Backups" folder). I use an Incremental, weekly chain. So I KEEP the first backup image, then each week an incremental one (say 10% of that size) is created for 5 weeks after that it repeats. Once 3 full chains are created it auto deletes the oldest. (Makes sense once easing it.)

7. START8 for Windows 8 is awesome!
For $5 you essentially have the Windows 7 Start Menu, can boot right to the Desktop. Perfect for me.

8. Here's MY SETUP for reference:
- 120GB SSD (Windows 8 Pro and applications)
- 256GB SSD (new; used as second STEAM folder for games with severe stutter due to drive access. Fallout 3/NV, Oblivion and several others benefit a LOT. I use the Samsung 840 Pro with an Intel 6Gb motherboard chip.)

- 3TB Seagate HDD (Main STEAM folder, Acronis backups of Windows 8 SSD, Downloads, Media files... )

9. Steam second folder and second SSD. Huh?
If budget allows later, I recommend a SECOND SSD for Steam games. You can now make MULTIPLE Steam folders so put most games on the HARD DRIVE and some that really benefit on the SSD. The massive stuttering in Fallout NV for example is constant READS from your HDD/SSD. Also, entering building or jumping locations on the MAP is far faster with an SSD. Switching to an SSD:
a) Create a second STEAM FOLDER on the second SSD
b) Backup your game
c) REMOVE the local game files
d) RESTORE your game to the second Steam folder
e) Game Saves probably still work (if not, Google for details)

Summary:
- Windows 8 64-bit OEM
- no dual-boot
- 120GB SSD recommended (i.e. Samsung 840 Pro)
- consider disabling Hibernation and resize Pagefile
- Image backup software (i.e. Acronis True Image)
- SSD's for gaming
- Steam on second Hard Drive, SSD
- Steam multiple game folders
- "ideal" drive setup (SSD for Windows/apps, HDD for Steam/other, second SSD for games that stutter)
a b * Windows 8
January 30, 2013 11:07:52 AM

^ Agree on abanding Daul boot.
What I would do is:
First: Use windows 7 Backup to create an Image of your SSD. Go to control panel and select backup on left side you will see create image of your system drive. Select one of your storge HDDs to put the Image. I normally also copy to an external drive. This wa you will always be able to go back to windows 7 quickly. Takes about 15 Minutes. Just pop in repair disk (will be prompted to create when image is completed) or popin a windows 7 install disk. Select repair, restore from image. Once done you will be able to boot back into windows 7 just as it was when the image was created - No reinstall, no reload drivers, no re-install programs.

2nd: After step 1, you can now upgrade windows 7 (on SSD) to windows 8.

gomerpile - Windows 9 will most likely allow for upgrading windows 7 or windows 8.
Don't think they will go Backwards, May adapt some of user complaints ie start menu and a more intuitive method. Much as Windows 7 did for Vista. uSoft is to into moving more toward a "cloud" approach. This is another sorespot with some.
a b * Windows 8
January 30, 2013 11:26:18 AM

RetiredChief said:
^ Agree on abanding Daul boot.
What I would do is:
First: Use windows 7 Backup to create an Image of your SSD. Go to control panel and select backup on left side you will see create image of your system drive. Select one of your storge HDDs to put the Image. I normally also copy to an external drive. This wa you will always be able to go back to windows 7 quickly. Takes about 15 Minutes. Just pop in repair disk (will be prompted to create when image is completed) or popin a windows 7 install disk. Select repair, restore from image. Once done you will be able to boot back into windows 7 just as it was when the image was created - No reinstall, no reload drivers, no re-install programs.

2nd: After step 1, you can now upgrade windows 7 (on SSD) to windows 8.

gomerpile - Windows 9 will most likely allow for upgrading windows 7 or windows 8.
Don't think they will go Backwards, May adapt some of user complaints ie start menu and a more intuitive method. Much as Windows 7 did for Vista. uSoft is to into moving more toward a "cloud" approach. This is another sorespot with some.


Agreed.
1. Making a backup Image of Windows 7 is a good idea so he can Restore to it if Windows 8 has issues for him.

2. I wonder if his free upgrade to Windows 8 Pro is expiring tomorrow? (the Jan 31st deadline for the $40 digital upgrade)

My advice then is:
a) Contact the College quickly in case this deal expires soon.
b) Make a backup Image of Windows 7 to a second partition or drive, using Windows 7 Backup.
c) Upgrade to Windows 8 Pro.
d) Verify everything works and open the Device Manager to see if any issues show up (i.e. Windows 8 failed to install a driver, you then find which one and install the latest 64-bit version).
e) *Delete the "OLD" Windows folder (google for instructions).
f) **Install Stardock's Start8 ($5)
a b * Windows 8
January 30, 2013 11:28:09 AM

Windows 8 Upgrade?
I also didn't notice if he was being offered a FULL version or an UPGRADE version. If it's an UPGRADE version he couldn't dual boot anyway.

This doesn't affect my above recommendation though.
January 30, 2013 1:13:56 PM

Dual boot: NO.
Windows 8: If you are willing to "relearn" using Windows go for it. Be aware that you will be less efficient for a few weeks until you are comfortable with the new system.
The new start screen really is designed for touch controls (which you don't have), so Start8 is really a good idea.
The thing that bothers me the most (just my personal opinion) is the "hot corners". I am still hunting for functions hidden in one of the invisible corner menus. ("Shutdown" hiding in the settings menu is just the most used and most known "feature")

Is that school offer for a free copy going to expire anytime soon? If not it is probably safe to wait for SP1 or Win9. If that offer does have an expiration date you could still get the license now and install it when you need it.

PS: the info about downgrade rights with windows 8 is incomplete. You are only allowed to downgrade Windows 8 pro OEM licenses. Normal licenses and upgrade licenses do not have downgrade rights.
a b * Windows 8
January 30, 2013 3:36:45 PM

JustAnotherNoob said:
Dual boot: NO.
Windows 8: If you are willing to "relearn" using Windows go for it. Be aware that you
Quote:
will be less efficient for a few weeks
until you are comfortable with the new system.
The new start screen really is designed for touch controls (which you don't have), so Start8 is really a good idea.
The thing that bothers me the most (just my personal opinion) is the "hot corners". I am still hunting for functions hidden in one of the invisible corner menus. ("Shutdown" hiding in the settings menu is just the most used and most known "feature")

Is that school offer for a free copy going to expire anytime soon? If not it is probably safe to wait for SP1 or Win9. If that offer does have an expiration date you could still get the license now and install it when you need it.

PS: the info about downgrade rights with windows 8 is incomplete. You are only allowed to downgrade Windows 8 pro OEM licenses. Normal licenses and upgrade licenses do not have downgrade rights.

Whatever the quote says :hello: 
January 30, 2013 4:08:54 PM

Actually, I have only one HUGE reason to stick on couple of my PCs with Windows 7: XP Mode. There is no such thing in Windows 8 (and I am using VirtualPC for much more than XP mode).
January 30, 2013 4:19:31 PM

I agree with Brett 100%......if u are gamer, stick with 7......mostly the newest games work good on 8. But if u r looking for something innovative.... 8 is a good choice
a b * Windows 8
January 30, 2013 4:26:46 PM

darkmendez said:
I agree with Brett 100%......if u are gamer, stick with 7......mostly the newest games work good on 8. But if u r looking for something innovative.... 8 is a good choice
Whatever you said
WRONG, I can play everygame that 7 can an more.
dos game in win 8
January 30, 2013 4:38:51 PM

Usually university IT students have msdnaa for free, so you have access to most of microsoft retail software versions.
So no, it won't expire anytime soon.
January 30, 2013 4:50:10 PM

I say get windows 8, if you dont like the interface get "Classic Shell" its free and allows you to never look at the metro interface again.
January 30, 2013 4:50:42 PM

Tomshardware benchmarks have shown NO improvements in gaming in Win 8.

Guaranteed that most organizations will NOT upgrade (cause they don't want the new home screen and productivity is not enhanced by the new ways or getting around)

Win 8 is a touch based OS, so if you don't have touch based hardware, you are not really using Win 8 how it's intended.

It's an OS for a tablet PC. I will not be installing on my gaming PC.
a b * Windows 8
January 30, 2013 5:13:04 PM

ittimjones said:
Tomshardware benchmarks have shown NO improvements in gaming in Win 8.

Guaranteed that most organizations will NOT upgrade (cause they don't want the new home screen and productivity is not enhanced by the new ways or getting around)

Win 8 is a touch based OS, so if you don't have touch based hardware, you are not really using Win 8 how it's intended.

It's an OS for a tablet PC. I will not be installing on my gaming PC.

Its both desktop or touch, another reply where a person never used the OS, your reply tells that

standardMetro

youtube video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFgDjWqEdQU&feature=play...
a b * Windows 8
January 30, 2013 5:28:52 PM

LOL - Yea I did try "touch" on my laptop, but it just laughted at me. Finally re-wired brain that my laptop was not my TF700.
January 30, 2013 5:50:48 PM

I completely agree with ittimjones - I have been testing windows 8 (dual-boot w/ win7) since it was in alpha stages pretty much, and there is no real difference in speed or productivity on desktop PC's or gaming laptops.. it is however a good system for touch equipment, tablets, smart phones etc... I mean it does look slightly crisper and has some nice neat little features and ui tweaks but all of that is unnecessary for gaming rigs, also win8 seems a bit less stable under an overclocked system.
a b * Windows 8
January 30, 2013 5:53:35 PM

Rusty1983 said:
I completely agree with ittimjones - I have been testing windows 8 (dual-boot w/ win7) since it was in alpha stages pretty much, and there is no real difference in speed or productivity on desktop PC's or gaming laptops.. it is however a good system for touch equipment, tablets, smart phones etc... I mean it does look slightly crisper and has some nice neat little features and ui tweaks but all of that is unnecessary for gaming rigs, also win8 seems a bit less stable under an overclocked system.

I game lots and believe me if a game would not play that I installed I'd be back to the rusty old 7



paying attention to the kind of programs in taskbar
a b * Windows 8
January 30, 2013 6:28:20 PM

gomerpile said:
I game lots and believe me if a game would not play that I installed I'd be back to the rusty old 7

http://bfvets.dyndns.org/Th/flip.png

paying attention to the kind of programs in taskbar



Hi :) 

Look , we know you have this weird thing about how good you THINK 8 is...

Thats fine, we get it...

You are entitled to YOUR opinion that 8 is great...

I am entitled to mine that its CRAP...

Now give us all a break and talk about something else...

All the best Brett :) 
January 30, 2013 7:25:12 PM

Amen ^^
a b * Windows 8
January 30, 2013 11:14:28 PM

Rusty1983 said:
Amen ^^

whatever^said
January 31, 2013 12:11:31 PM

This is turning into a ATI vs Nvidia or Ford vs Chevy thing, innit?

I have 7 across my network (work and home) and it works well. I don't see my employer (USAF- Hi RetiredChief) upgradeing from seven enterprise to eight anytime. The only definitive reason I can see to update is to use one platform across all devices. If the AF adopts Surface pads and Windows phones, then I can see a reason to update. One OS for all devices, saves money on licencing and on training. Until that time, fuggetaboutit. We alread have too much we cant afford.
a b * Windows 8
January 31, 2013 1:21:25 PM

groundrat said:
This is turning into a ATI vs Nvidia or Ford vs Chevy thing, innit?

I have 7 across my network (work and home) and it works well. I don't see my employer (USAF- Hi RetiredChief) upgradeing from seven enterprise to eight anytime. The only definitive reason I can see to update is to use one platform across all devices. If the AF adopts Surface pads and Windows phones, then I can see a reason to update. One OS for all devices, saves money on licencing and on training. Until that time, fuggetaboutit. We alread have too much we cant afford.

Who cares anymore, you use 7 we use 8, its to bad for you the benefits of 8 you will not be enjoying
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFDTN25qip8&feature=play...
Microsoft Announces Record $21.5 Billion In Revenue For Q2
And those figures are climbing and it is not because th OS sucks as some say.
a b * Windows 8
January 31, 2013 2:13:11 PM

If it's free, get it, slight performance improvement over Windows 7.
a b * Windows 8
January 31, 2013 3:48:29 PM

^ concur, even at the $15 price point, @ $40 -> 67 questionable.

gomerpile, While much of what you say may be correct as far as usability/performance. You are starting to sound like ABC/NBC/MSnbc news reporter.
They often take a "quote" out of context and omitt be for/after verbage.
Your statement " Microsoft Announces Record $21.5 Billion In Revenue For Q2
And those figures are climbing and it is not because th OS sucks as some say." for innstance
READ : http://www.pcworld.com/article/2026165/does-windows-8s-...
Does not sound so rose to me.

Two month point " adaption SLOWER than Vista - OUCH
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/144584-two-months-...

Then there is HP's take
Quote
Although it’s no longer debatable that Windows 8 is selling more slowly than expected, and at a pace that trails that of its predecessor, it wasn’t always so. I was the first to sound the alarm, though when I exclusively revealed that Windows 8 was selling much more slowly than Microsoft’s internal estimates, some critics insisted it was too soon to judge.

Of course, Microsoft then confirmed my report publicly, and we’ve seen plenty of other evidence of the slow start, including NPD retail data for the holiday selling period and IDC and Gartner reports on fourth quarter PC sales. It’s no longer a theory: Windows 8 is off to a slow start.
En quote - NOTE: he does go on to say that "HE" thinks it will improve.

Then from ExtremeTech "Whether it's the abominable Metro Start screen, or the relatively short list of upgrades for Windows 7 users, Windows 8 just isn't very desirable."

I could go on, the list is long.
How many can you provide indicating a "Robust" sales fig for windows 8

It does NOT matter if it is "Better ", it how the Majority Perceive it.
Doesn't help when a "professor" stated he found a good use for Windows 8. "Buy it and give as a gift to some one you Hate."
personally I find NO fault with Groundrat assesement on adaptation by corporate Americia.
PS there is a Problem with windows 8 currently that rules it out as an upgrade where I work - It does NOT allow the Additional required security program to run. NOTE, Even if that issue was solved, they still would not upgrade to Win 8 for laptops/Desktop machines used for work. Tablets are anther story



a b * Windows 8
January 31, 2013 3:59:25 PM

RetiredChief said:
^ concur, even at the $15 price point, @ $40 -> 67 questionable.

gomerpile, While much of what you say may be correct as far as usability/performance. You are starting to sound like ABC/NBC/MSnbc news reporter.
They often take a "quote" out of context and omitt be for/after verbage.
Your statement " Microsoft Announces Record $21.5 Billion In Revenue For Q2
And those figures are climbing and it is not because th OS sucks as some say." for innstance
READ : http://www.pcworld.com/article/2026165/does-windows-8s-...
Does not sound so rose to me.

Two month point " adaption SLOWER than Vista - OUCH
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/144584-two-months-...

Then there is HP's take
Quote
Although it’s no longer debatable that Windows 8 is selling more slowly than expected, and at a pace that trails that of its predecessor, it wasn’t always so. I was the first to sound the alarm, though when I exclusively revealed that Windows 8 was selling much more slowly than Microsoft’s internal estimates, some critics insisted it was too soon to judge.

Of course, Microsoft then confirmed my report publicly, and we’ve seen plenty of other evidence of the slow start, including NPD retail data for the holiday selling period and IDC and Gartner reports on fourth quarter PC sales. It’s no longer a theory: Windows 8 is off to a slow start.
En quote - NOTE: he does go on to say that "HE" thinks it will improve.

Then from ExtremeTech "Whether it's the abominable Metro Start screen, or the relatively short list of upgrades for Windows 7 users, Windows 8 just isn't very desirable."

I could go on, the list is long.
How many can you provide indicating a "Robust" sales fig for windows 8

It does NOT matter if it is "Better ", it how the Majority Perceive it.
Doesn't help when a "professor" stated he found a good use for Windows 8. "Buy it and give as a gift to some one you Hate."
personally I find NO fault with Groundrat assesement on adaptation by corporate Americia.
PS there is a Problem with windows 8 currently that rules it out as an upgrade where I work - It does NOT allow the Additional required security program to run. NOTE, Even if that issue was solved, they still would not upgrade to Win 8 for laptops/Desktop machines used for work. Tablets are anther story


Sits back in my recliner reading your post in metro desktop, using my remote for my tv switching the titles back and forth. Don't care I'm drinking my rye and coke just try that with win 7.

Microsoft has revealed that “Windows 8 has sold 60 million licenses to date”. The software giant said that this figure shows Windows 8 is following a “similar sales trajectory to what we saw with Windows 7”. These latest sales figures were announced by Windows Chief Marketing Officer and Chief Financial Officer, Tami Reller, speaking at the 11th Annual J.P. Morgan Tech Forum at CES 2013.

The OS only been on the market for 4 month during an economy that is well below windows 7 launch
a b * Windows 8
January 31, 2013 4:08:26 PM

gomerpile said:
Sits back in my recliner reading your post in metro desktop, using my remote for my tv switching the titles back and forth. Don't care I'm drinking my rye and coke just try that with win 7.

Microsoft has revealed that “Windows 8 has sold 60 million licenses to date”. The software giant said that this figure shows Windows 8 is following a “similar sales trajectory to what we saw with Windows 7”. These latest sales figures were announced by Windows Chief Marketing Officer and Chief Financial Officer, Tami Reller, speaking at the 11th Annual J.P. Morgan Tech Forum at CES 2013.



Hi :) 

As you are so relaxed (i didn't think people of your age were allowed to buy alcohol)

Anyway.. WHY NOT FIX YOUR AWFUL WEBSITE ?

All the best Brett :) 
a b * Windows 8
January 31, 2013 4:21:48 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

As you are so relaxed (i didn't think people of your age were allowed to buy alcohol)

Anyway.. WHY NOT FIX YOUR AWFUL WEBSITE ?

All the best Brett :) 


Why the personal insults. Is it just a bully tactic to get them to never post again?
January 31, 2013 4:25:21 PM

To gomerpile..... NOT every game.....stop lying......there are games right now that I can't play on Windows 8 cause of being too old, pirated and different limitations....playing GTA: San Andreas and Saints Row the third....and call me a liar.....these games do not properly WORK and it crash your PC.
January 31, 2013 4:37:51 PM

Windows 8 is still new and waiting for more updates to improve....what making people go back to Windows 7 cause of security and metro interface...I think both are good but I always tell people to make sure it to compatible to your motherboard......don't be hard-head thinking every OS will work every PC.
a b * Windows 8
January 31, 2013 5:00:16 PM

johnbl said:
Why the personal insults. Is it just a bully tactic to get them to never post again?

ITS NOT MY WEBSITE, ITS MY SONS JEEZ
a b * Windows 8
January 31, 2013 5:01:20 PM

darkmendez said:
To gomerpile..... NOT every game.....stop lying......there are games right now that I can't play on Windows 8 cause of being too old, pirated and different limitations....playing GTA: San Andreas and Saints Row the third....and call me a liar.....these games do not properly WORK and it crash your PC.

You mean they don't work for u but do for me. I actually was play GTA last night youtube video shortly follow
!