HDMI switch cuts off display, how can i make it stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbaruch76

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
I am using an hdmi splitter to connect my cable box and pc to a projector that only has one hdmi input. i run xbmc as a second monitor on my pc which is what i want to run to the projector. however, when i use the hdmi switch and switch to the tv, the pc disconnects the projector and xbmc will start to run on my primary display. when i switch back to the pc from the hdmi switch, the second monitor is opened, but xbmc remains on the primary monitor.

is there some way for the pc to believe the second monitor is still connected, so xbmc can run in the background, waiting for me to switch back to pc?

i know this is a bit confusing, i'm sorry. any help is greatly appreciated.

jbaruch76

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
my pc only has the one primary monitory and the projector that is used as the secondary display.

thanks iknowhowtofixit, that is kind of what i figured. i'll try out ultramon and see what it can do. i'll also see if i can make some kind of keymap that will change xbmc's display settings without having to go through the menus.

jbaruch76

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
i haven't checked out ultramon yet, but i'm not interested in standard mirroring. i want to be able to use the primary display as my pc (web browsing, etc.) while having the second display (projector) only displaying xbmc. i don't want xbmc ever to be displayed on the primary display.

joeyslaptop

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
I have the same issue on a Mac. When the switch changes the connection to the projector from the Mac source to another source like another laptop, it’s telling the Mac that the 2nd display (extended desktop) no longer exists.

What I think I need to happen is for a ghost connection to stay alive inside the switch. My Mac needs to think it’s still connected to the 2nd display (which is the projector) unless I physically remove the link/connection between the hdmi switch and the monitor.

The scenario is I’m trying to switch between my Mac and another computer during a presentation. When I disconnect my Mac, the Mac switches back to single display mode and all of the windows gather onto the one screen. When I switch back to the Mac as the source for the projector, it doesn’t recognize the projector as being attached. It makes it so that the switch is literally useless - I may as well just unplug the hdmi from the Mac and plug it into the other source. I have to close the lid of the Mac and open it again for it to search for and see the projector again - and then I have to move my windows and demonstration stuff back to the projector screen again. It’s just as much as or more of a hassle to use the switch. I need my windows and demonstration media to stay on the second screen because the switch is telling it it’s still connected to the projector so that when I switch back to that source, it picks right back up where it left off.

Status
Not open for further replies.