Sign in with
Your question
Closed

ATI Radeon HD 7850 screen flickering need help !

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 7, 2012 2:19:31 PM

Hi Everyone

I just got my new pc few days ago, and i notice something is probably wrong with my new computer. When i was playing games like GTA IV, Saints Row The Third, Dead Island, Dungeon Siege 3 and other games. I found out there are waves like/ horizontal lines screen flickering in games, where the screen jumping around/ moving up or down like something is messing with it. which is very annoying. Do anyone knows what is causing it ? i have everything to max settings including vsync on. Currently using ATI Catalyst Drivers 12.6

I only encounter this waves alike screen flickering in all games sometimes it appears in gameplay and more often in loading and pause screen. not sure about in desktop and other applications yet though since i haven't seen any. could it be the adapter causing this ? i am using the DVI to VGA adapter that comes from the graphics card box. which i connect to my Dell E156FP VGA 1024x768 monitor.

i found couple of links in the net might be related to my problems
forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=361982
www.wsgf.org/node/15402

I have another major problem with the sound quality on Windows 7. the sound quality on Windows 7 which is much worse than in Windows XP. in XP the sound quality is not the best, but it was decent.

In Windows 7 i am not sure how is the best to describe it. all i know is the sound quality of it is very terrible. it's like very sharp or something like that and it could makes my ears bleed after listening to it for few mins, tried tweaking Realtek HD Audio Manager including equalizer and the very sharp sound still exist.

During in games i hear a buzzing sound played in the background coming from my speakers, when i quit the game and it's gone. Which is very weird. since i didn't hear any buzzing sound or noise at desktop or playing music and videos. I already did searching the net for quite a long time now. can't to find a fix to it. could it be the graphics causing it ?

When uninstalling ATI drivers at control panel. the program will automatically run itself to uninstall drivers and stuff.

Is it normal for the screen to stay black for a long time ? i waited for 30 minutes and it's still black screen and i went and press restart button to restart my pc. that should be more than enough time to uninstall drivers though.

There's another problem that i am experiencing after numbers of ATI drivers uninstall and reinstalls, i am now experiencing games freezing every few minutes/seconds, which i didnt have them before. any ideas what is going on ?

While trying to open a MKV file my whole pc freezes for few seconds. i can't move mouse and keyboard. is this normal ? i already tried older version of ffdshow but the freezing still persist.

I tried 12.6, 12.3, 12.7 drivers no luck the problems still exist. i have been spending days searching the net for fixing problems that i am currently having, but nothing work.

here's mine new pc specs and have all the latest updates that are available installed

CPU: Intel i5 3470 3.20 Ghz
GPU: Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 7850 2GB
RAM: 2x 4GB GSkill Sniper 1600mhz
Motherboard: Asrock Z77 PRO3
HDD: Western Digital 1TB Caviar Blue
PSU: Enermax 650w
Monitor: Dell E156FP

Best solution

August 8, 2012 12:11:46 AM

Yes its because your 2d clocks are conflicting with 3d try this...
I have 7850 and i had the same problem..
install msi burner or Asus gpu tweak ...
set your 2d clocks to 500\800 and 3d clocks whatever u like .. mine defaullt are 975\1200
and its best that u AUTO the Fan Speed!
it will solve the problem.. good luck friend
August 8, 2012 11:24:53 AM

Hi there thank you for replying to my thread. i am using a Asrock motherboard can i use those applications you mention above ? will it conflict with my motherboard ? since i am not using either of those brands.

i am using AMD Overdrive at Catalyst control center. i saw that my idle GPU clock and memory clock are 300MHz and 150MHz. my default high performance clock settings are 860MHz and 1200MHz. is it normal ? my fan is already set to automatically since i didn't touch any settings at all. i am not sure what is my 2D clock settings are though.
Score
Related resources
August 8, 2012 5:02:05 PM

Just do as i say ... those softwares wont conflict with your brand ...
and the 2d clocks are the main thing that is why you are seeing Horizontal or vertical flickering!
I m glad to help NP..
Score
August 8, 2012 6:40:50 PM

Ok i am going to try this today after i come back home. which applications you mention is better ? this is my first time doing stuff like this. so i am pretty much a newbie. i just hope everything will be fine and running smooth. do i have to lower or increase voltage too ?
Score
August 8, 2012 7:14:42 PM

Ok here it Goes...
you are new to this so i dont recommend you to increase voltage or anything
you are running 860\1200 at default 1138 volts right?
i m running 975\1200 at 1160 volts OC edition!
so if u plan to overclock in future try my config its stable ...
and about 2D clocks which will be by default 300\150mhz you have to set them 500\800 mhz
The best application is ASUS gpu tweak ... but some ppl Like MSI after burner ... i had bad experience with that so i dnt like that application...
Well, Good luck ...
:) 
Score
August 9, 2012 5:38:08 AM

Hi again i just downloaded Asus GPU Tweak. and already set my 2D clock to 500MHz and 800MHz. then i went to run some games that i having the problems at. but it seems that the waves/lines is still there. damn this card sure does know how to cause me tons of problems.

i just tested something. when i was in game afking. alt tab to desktop to watch movies and videos. i notice that the lines appear in my videos too. then i quit the game. test the video again. the lines are gone. this is really weird. i really hope i can solve this problem. maybe my card just doesn't like VGA. i guess i am going to get a DVI monitor soon. hope everything will be smooth as it should be.
Score
August 9, 2012 9:00:16 AM

Quote:
Hi I got afterburner and I am wondering what are the which is the 2d clock settings lol i show core clock 860 and memory clock 1200....

I don't think MSI AFTR BURNER shows 2d clocks!!!
Score
August 9, 2012 9:02:06 AM

David92 said:
Hi again i just downloaded Asus GPU Tweak. and already set my 2D clock to 500MHz and 800MHz. then i went to run some games that i having the problems at. but it seems that the waves/lines is still there. damn this card sure does know how to cause me tons of problems.

i just tested something. when i was in game afking. alt tab to desktop to watch movies and videos. i notice that the lines appear in my videos too. then i quit the game. test the video again. the lines are gone. this is really weird. i really hope i can solve this problem. maybe my card just doesn't like VGA. i guess i am going to get a DVI monitor soon. hope everything will be smooth as it should be.

Yeah !! maybe it has something to do with the cable ...
Score
August 9, 2012 11:54:31 AM

Hya, I'm getting this EXACT same issue and I have tried nearly everything yo cn think of, even a full reinstall of windows! My card is a 7770 and I have even returned the original Powercolor one I got with my new PC back to the store and they sent me a replacement one but it was ASUS instead and it still did it.

My brother also has the exact same card and is also getting the flickering.

I've tried 3 different monitors and a TV screen. The TV scren HDMI cnnection stopped the flickering, but all of the montors I tried only have a VGA port.

Did you find out if a DVI connection monitor worked, beause really don't want to pay out if it doesn't.
Score
August 9, 2012 5:35:58 PM

Hi there, it seems that this problem exist in the HD 7000 series then. anyway, i hear some people has encounter these issue same as i did. bought a DVI monitor and it pretty much solved it. but i seen other people has a DVI monitor and the problem still exist. Definitely a very weird problem. since it doesn't appear on desktop, only appear in games. You said your TV with HDMI works. hmm don't tell me that i have to get a monitor or a tv with hdmi. Already contacted AMD regarding this issue and i still didn't get any replies yet.

As i mention before, i already set my 2d clocks to 500MHz and 800MHz. but i didn't increase any voltage. Should i try and increase a little ? or it's just card doesn't like VGA monitor ?
Score
August 28, 2012 4:21:38 PM

I get the flickering problem with my 7950 on a DL-DVI 120hz monitor. raising the idle clock speeds does now work. The flicker happens when the card is idle, full load or any other amount of load. It happens during games, on the desktop. I have tried 12.3, 12.4, 12.6, 12.7, 12.8 and they all have the flickering.

I have yet to find an actual solution. Anyone have any luck fixing it?
Score
August 29, 2012 10:23:53 AM

i haven't found a fix for it yet. well i am mostly waiting for amd to reply to my problems that i mention about few weeks ago. i already did sent a email regarding this issue. it seems that i hardly getting any replies here. it has been for weeks now.
Score
August 29, 2012 4:41:26 PM

David92 said:
i haven't found a fix for it yet. well i am mostly waiting for amd to reply to my problems that i mention about few weeks ago. i already did sent a email regarding this issue. it seems that i hardly getting any replies here. it has been for weeks now.

After trying everything I could think of I just don't think the AMD cards and their drivers like 120hz monitors very much. I switched my monitor to 100hz and the problem went away which would make me think that raising the idle clock speeds would fix the problem at 120hz but it did not.

I am switching over to a nvidia card in hopes that their cards and drivers play better with a 120hz monitor at 120hz.
Score
August 30, 2012 7:56:51 AM

hmm that's weird u encounter screen flickering on desktop and during in game too ? At your previous post, you mention raising idle clock fixed the flickering and now it appears again ?

May i know what monitor are you using ? what is the brand ?

i am only experiencing flickering only on games there's non at all on desktop. i am using a 4.3 1024x768 Dell monitor with DVI to VGA adapter. my refresh rate is probably 60hz. i tried 75hz but still the problem still persist. already tried raising idle clock but same results. so it could be my card just doesn't like my monitor that i am using.

i have yet tested this at another monitor using DVI. but it seems that this problem exist on DVI monitor too based on you are experiencing. so now i am not really sure what is the main cause of this screen flickering.

Could you do me a favor ? Try setting your refresh rate to lower rate such as 60hz and 75hz and see if the flickering still exist. please do let me know thank you very much :) 
Score
August 30, 2012 12:10:51 PM

David92 said:
hmm that's weird u encounter screen flickering on desktop and during in game too ? At your previous post, you mention raising idle clock fixed the flickering and now it appears again ?

May i know what monitor are you using ? what is the brand ?

i am only experiencing flickering only on games there's non at all on desktop. i am using a 4.3 1024x768 Dell monitor with DVI to VGA adapter. my refresh rate is probably 60hz. i tried 75hz but still the problem still persist. already tried raising idle clock but same results. so it could be my card just doesn't like my monitor that i am using.

i have yet tested this at another monitor using DVI. but it seems that this problem exist on DVI monitor too based on you are experiencing. so now i am not really sure what is the main cause of this screen flickering.

Could you do me a favor ? Try setting your refresh rate to lower rate such as 60hz and 75hz and see if the flickering still exist. please do let me know thank you very much :) 

I have a Samsung S23A700D with the lastest drivers installed using a DL DVI-D. The flicker only happens to me at 120hz. It works fine at 100hz and 60hz but I will give 75hz a try and see what results I get. It works fine on other 60hz monitors but I have not tested it on another 120hz monitor.

I have set my idle clocks to 800mhz core/500mhz mem and 400mhz core/300 mhz mem.,neither one of those solves the problem.

A EVGA GTX 670 will be at my place next Tuesday so hopefully nivida cards/drivers work better. I will test out everything at 60, 75, 100, and 120hz and post the results. If the flicker goes away then the only cause of the problem I could think of would be the AMD cards/drviers.
Score
August 30, 2012 1:41:47 PM

well yeah i was planning to get a nvidia card if AMD fail to help me fix this problem. anyway, i have already received a reply from AMD. they asked me to turn everything at CCC to performance instead of quality and see if the problem still exist. i haven't tested it yet i doubt it will help though.
Score
August 30, 2012 5:23:50 PM

David92 said:
well yeah i was planning to get a nvidia card if AMD fail to help me fix this problem. anyway, i have already received a reply from AMD. they asked me to turn everything at CCC to performance instead of quality and see if the problem still exist. i haven't tested it yet i doubt it will help though.

My monitor only does 59, 60, 100, and 120 hz. Works at all rates except for 120hz. I did what AMD told you to do and I still got the flicker. Didn't seem like it flickered as much but it may have been a placebo effect. But yeah I will let you know how the Nvidia card works out.
Score
August 31, 2012 1:26:07 PM

that's good to hear. AMD told me to update my motherboard bios which i have never done it before unless it counts as installing everything from the motherboard disk. i hope i can get the flickering fixed soon since i have been bearing all this screen flickering till now whenever i am playing games, plus Borderlands2 is getting nearer to release date.
Score
September 5, 2012 5:46:51 PM

David92 said:
that's good to hear. AMD told me to update my motherboard bios which i have never done it before unless it counts as installing everything from the motherboard disk. i hope i can get the flickering fixed soon since i have been bearing all this screen flickering till now whenever i am playing games, plus Borderlands2 is getting nearer to release date.

Nvidia cards and their drivers are not the fix. With my EVGA GTX 670 I still get the flickering at 120hz, even worse than the 7950. I just don't get it. I have no idea what the problem is, I have given up.

For everyone:

I will mail a brand new Sapphire OC 7950 to anyone who can figure out what the problem is so I can go about fixing it. I'll provide any information about my build you may need to diagnose the problem and tell you everything I have tried.
Score
September 6, 2012 12:58:02 AM

Not sure what is wrong, but there's a chance it could be your some of your pc components is causing it or either the monitor itself had some problem before.

i haven't manage to fix my issue yet though. you can always contact amd or nvidia for support
Score
September 6, 2012 1:31:57 PM

David92 said:
Not sure what is wrong, but there's a chance it could be your some of your pc components is causing it or either the monitor itself had some problem before.

i haven't manage to fix my issue yet though. you can always contact amd or nvidia for support

I guess it must be. I just wish I could find someone else with the same problem that has pinpointed it to a component or compatability issue or anything so I would not have to go about replacing my computer piece by piece. I am going to contact Nvidia and see what they say. I will let you know what they say.
Score
September 6, 2012 1:55:38 PM

AMD told me it would be the best to return it for replacements since today i seen white lines on top of my monitor screen. i guess i might want to get a new monitor first to test it. it could be my monitor is dying or my card just doesn't like my monitor.

anyway, you haven't posted about your pc specs yet though. not sure what components you got
Score
October 3, 2012 9:56:07 PM

Guys, I'm having exactly the same problem. Bought a brand new monitor, tried it, and the horizontal lines are still there. This is VERY recent, so I'm thinking it must be related to some software upgrade/conflict. I'm NO expert/geek mind you, so it's no more than a guess.

My video card is ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 and I use three screens (the one with the lines is connected through a Toshiba Dynadock - before you say I'm nuts, it has been working for years until just over a week ago).

Your help is appreciated.

Ozilian
Score
October 3, 2012 10:07:39 PM

try taking a screenshot. if the lines are in the screenshot, then its the card. if its not in the screenshot then theres most likely some some compatibility issue with the monitor.
Score
October 28, 2012 8:59:14 AM

Okay here's an update i manage to get a DVI monitor LG brand. and i tried running some tests with some games. it seems that flickering no longer exist. I was right afterall latest cards just doesn't like VGA 4.3 monitors.
Score
October 28, 2012 7:43:38 PM

Best answer selected by David92.
Score
!