Crucial M4 256GB SSD
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD
Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB
Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced
Cooler Master Silent Pro M 850W
Asus VS247H-P 23.6" Monitor
CyberPower 1350A UPS

On first boot, I enabled Asus' "Optimal" setting in the mobo which supposedly overclocks the processor to a safe level. According to the CPU frequency monitor, it brought it up from 3.5ghz to 4.2ghz. The temperatures on idle and light load with around 24-30 degrees celcius and not much higher higher when playing a game such as Borderlands 2 maxed out. However, when playing the game, you can hear the fan kicking in at a bit higher rpms frequently, with few temp spikes of about 5 degrees that quickly went back down. The issue I'm having is that the computer is completely freezing, to the point where a forced shut down is required. I could not recreate how to make it freeze, sometimes I'd be able to play 2 hours straight with no issues, other times it freezes within 10 minutes.

I haven't had the computer built for that long and I just recently reset Asus' motherboard OC option for "normal" for the CPU and have yet to test it. But why would the computer lock up like that if all temperature readings were normal? Could it be the game? I suppose I need more testing but I was wondering if anyone could help with directing me to where the crash log would be or anything that would give an indication.
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about issues computer freezing
  1. Check your RAM with Memtest86, and what do your GPU, CPU, and MOBO temps show under load?
  2. Memtest passed 11 stages (had the strange character issue on v4.0). All temps are generally under 32 degrees Celsius under load. The screenshot shows a few spikes in the processor temp, that is from minimizing and maximizing the game running (Borderlands 2).

3. I've been trying to recreate the issue with the motherboard setting on "normal" and it hasn't froze once. What else could cause it to freeze on "optimal" if heat is not an issue?
  4. Switch to "optimal" motherboard setting again for another round of testing. Had no freezing issues for approximately 3 hours playing Metro 2033 and Borderlands 2. Temps under load were about 35 (+/- 3) degrees Celsius. Does anyone have any other input into this? The issue is very random and I don't know how to check crash logs or even if they would say anything.
  5. Best answer
    update your bios... I had a similar problem like this one
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/308518-30-update-bios

also try reseting your cmos
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdp_L5IxaNI
  6. The bios was already up to date, I will try the CMOS option the next time the computer freezes. So far it's been ok. Thanks for your input.
  7. no problem hope it helps
  8. Resetting the cmos did not work, however I was able to locate an update for the bios. I have done that and will continue testing and report back.
  9. OK keep us posted
  10. PanicMaster85 said:
    OK keep us posted

Well, it appears the BIOS update did the trick. I also reset the CMOS after the update (prior to testing). Thanks for the help Panic.
  11. Best answer selected by voodoovyper.
  12. NO problem! :D glad i could help!
  13. Hey guys, sorry to dig up an old thread. Figured this than make a new one. The issue had been non-existent for a while. Every now and again I'd get a freeze, and coincidentally there would be a BIOS update available and everything would be good.

Now, there is no update and I'm freezing again. I'm mostly playing Planetside 2 which is taxing on the system at time, but the freezing occurs at times when there is low load as well. It doesn't happen often, but often enough to be a nuisance. Aside from resetting the CMOS and updating the bios (which surprisingly the last update was over 4 months ago), is there anything else I can try?

At this point, I do not know if it's Planetside 2 or not, it's been known to have some bugs. I haven't played anything else to the extent I have played this. The issue usually happens a few hours into play. As noted when this initially happened months ago, temps are just fine. In the mean time, I will test with some other titles.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems