Sign in with
Your question

Build me a gaming pc!

Last response: in Systems
September 27, 2012 7:04:31 PM

Hello all! i have decided that i am going to build myself a gaming pc soon! i have a budget of around £600 for the job and have decided i would like a cooler master 430 case as they seem to be cheap and effective but i would really appreciate it if somone could peice me together a rig from the best going rates they know!

i want it for games such as guild wars but i really would like the absolute best bang for buck that there is right now :) 

any help i would greatly appreciate!

More about : build gaming

September 27, 2012 7:11:48 PM

read through all the other posts and piece together one for yourself

have you even bothered to read any of the tens of threads already providing information you ask for?
September 27, 2012 7:23:41 PM

well i was thinking of this system as i have posted in other forums but nobody has been very helpful thus far, this is what i have come up with!

cpu i5 2500k 3.3ghz

mobo igabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 Z68 Socket 1155

gpu saphhire radeon 6870

ram 8gb corsair ddr3

hdd 1TB Seagate ST1000DM003 Barracuda 7200.14 SATA 6Gb/s 7200rpm 64mb

psu Corsair TX 650W V2 PSU - 80plus Bronze Certified

odd samsung

case coolermaster elite 430

i would buy 2 additional fans to go with the case

what do you think? would that all mesh together nicley and is the power supply going to be enough? i do not plan to overclock it
Related resources
September 27, 2012 7:27:35 PM

it'll work nice - for what's listed the ps will be enough
September 27, 2012 7:27:44 PM

and i could buy all of those components today for less than £525!
September 27, 2012 7:30:20 PM

then you'll be up and running tomorrow
September 27, 2012 7:32:10 PM

That's pretty good, but could be better. Do you need to buy an operating system or any peripherals?
September 27, 2012 7:37:38 PM

mousseng said:
That's pretty good, but could be better...

that's a retarded statement!

it can ALWAYS be better
September 27, 2012 7:46:30 PM

dingo07 said:
that's a retarded statement!

it can ALWAYS be better

While I appreciate all the constructive criticism you've been able to provide in this thread (note: sarcasm), that's not true when you apply boundaries or restrictions (in this case, OP's budget of £600). Even if we take away that budget, though, it can be better for virtually the same cost (see Lighter's post just now).

Additionally, a 3570k costs no more than a 2500k, Z77 motherboards are very affordable, and he needs a RAM kit and I just saw his RAM kit (low profile heatspreaders are always preferable, not sure if that's what he's picked).
September 27, 2012 8:22:55 PM

Thanks alot for the comments!

I know there are lots of upgrades but im trying not to get carried away and stick to my budget!

this is my revised list

CPU i5 3570k 3.4 GHZ

MOBO Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H Socket 1155 VGA DVI HDMI 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard

GPU XFX AMD Radeon 7850 HD 860MHz PCI-Express 3.0 HDMI

RAM Corsair Memory XMS3 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz CAS 9 Dual Channel Desktop

PSU Corsair TX 650W V2 PSU - 80plus Bronze Certified

HDD Seagate 1TB SATA 3 Performance Hard Drive OEM ST1000DM003

OD Samsung ( or i could reuse the one from my old pc to save more money)

Case Coolermaster Elite 430 All Black Interior Mid Tower Case with Side Window

Fans Cooler Master SickleFLow Red LED Quiet Case Fan 120mm x2

I can upgrade the graphics card and CPU to those for an extra 15 pounds so i thought i might aswell.
I can also get windows 7 for mega cheap and have got all of my peripherals

would this system go together nicley?

Do i need to get the extra fans for the case if i am not going to be over clocking? is there anything else i need to be buying?
September 27, 2012 8:27:55 PM

tullymx said:
would this system go together nicley

Very nicely.

tullymx said:
Do i need to get the extra fans for the case if i am not going to be over clocking? is there anything else i need to be buying?

It's not necessary, but it might be advisable as the Elite 430 only comes with a single intake fan.
September 27, 2012 9:03:59 PM

ah this is great news thanks alot! ill let yous know when i am finished! :) 
September 27, 2012 10:38:56 PM

plan for a cheap windows 7 £30 might be out of the window as i do not know if they still run that offer for students anymore? can anyone suggest the cheapest possible way for me to get it?

September 27, 2012 11:02:22 PM

I'm not sure - my school used to offer retail copies of W7 Ultimate for $20 last year, but now they only offer free upgrade discs. The only other cheap alternatives that I know of (that I'm willing to suggest) are getting an OEM or "system builder" copy, or get Linux (many games can run through Wine, but it's never a guarantee)

You may be able to get it through Dreamspark; or, if not, perhaps another Windows OS for the time being.
September 27, 2012 11:09:27 PM

hm i will have to see my freind about it. if i were to get xp wouldnt that hinder my hardware greatly though? but would that mean i could get a cheap upgrade to windows 7 or 8 when the time came?
September 28, 2012 1:35:48 AM

XP wouldn't really hinder your hardware in any way - 64-bit Windows XP (Service Pack 2) and 32-bt XP (Service Pack 3) still have official Microsoft support until 2014, so a lot of people are still using it, and games still run very well on it.
September 28, 2012 11:43:27 AM

but isnt the ram limited to 4 gb? and will it not be a waste of building a system to my spec with only dx9? if this isnt the case please tell me as it will save me some nice money!

thanks for your help
September 28, 2012 1:51:48 PM

Depends on what edition of XP you get - if you can get 64-bit non-Starter edition, you'll have a RAM limit of 128GB; otherwise, yes, you'll be limited to 4GB. And that's up to you whether or not having DX11 would be a waste - not every new game uses it (many still use DX9, and offer DX11, though some games only make use of DX10/11), but also keep in mind that installing XP on your system isn't going to lock you into that forever and eternity, you can upgrade whenever you get Windows 7 or 8 (if that's the direction you want to go).

Like I said, you can also try Linux if you'd rather avoid XP, and run your games through Wine; it's not guaranteed that any of those will work flawlessly or at all, but it's free. I understand it's not for everyone though.
September 28, 2012 2:54:43 PM

dingo07 said:
Or you can just get Windows 7 and run XP Mode inside it

If you bothered to read the issue, you'd know that getting Windows 7 is the issue. It's seeming like that's no longer an affordable option for him.
September 28, 2012 3:00:06 PM

mousseng said:
If you bothered to read the issue, you'd know that getting Windows 7 is the issue. It's seeming like that's no longer an affordable option for him.

it IS an Option had he stuck to the original parts that were fine, thus saving him some cash to afford Windows 7 - Hello!!!
September 28, 2012 3:18:36 PM

I don't think he'd be able to buy Windows 7 with the extra £15 the revised list would add.
Quote:
I can upgrade the graphics card and CPU to those for an extra 15 pounds so i thought i might aswell.
September 28, 2012 3:59:01 PM

I see! i thought that it was only windows 7 64 bit that could support more than 4 gb of ram, i am fine to stick with xp for a while until windows 8 comes out i think!

is this going to be the right pack for me and has anyone used this site before?

http://www.kikatek.com/P29037/E85-04208-Windows-XP-Prof...

September 28, 2012 4:25:15 PM

That looks to be what you want, but it also appears sold out. I don't think it'll be easy to find XP available in retail. I'm looking as well, but I'm not familiar with sites that'll ship to the UK, so I can't promise I'll be of any help.

Alternatively, you do have the option to cut back on some of the hardware and get Windows 7 - since you're not planning on overclocking, an i3-3220 would be more affordable option (£92~96) and wouldn't compromise your performance too much (remember, games are more dependent on the video card). This would also let you get a lower wattage PSU, as 650W for an i3/7850 system is pretty overkill - a good 450 or 500W would do just fine (and still have room to expand).
!