UPDATE: Web-Grognards, 4th July 2004

Archived from groups: rec.games.board,uk.games.board,alt.games.wargames (More info?)

Hi,

The Grognards Challenge: David Niday (dniday@325.verizon.net) was
the first person to guess 'Gulf Strike' (VG). A new Challenge awaits.

A list of new links and files on Web-Grognards follows. For this list
follow the 'Whats New' link from the Web-Grognards home page:-

http://grognard.com

or go direct to:-

http://grognard.com/20040704.html

NEW LINKS

12 O'Clock High (Wild West) - review
1807: the Eagle turns East (Clash of Arms) - review
Avalanche: the Invasion of Italy (Avalanche Press) - another review
(last in list)
The Battles of Waterloo (GMT) - another review (last in list)
Campaign for Guadalcanal (3W) - another review (last in list)
Dixie: First Bull Run (Columbia Games, card game) - another review
(last in list)
Fatal Alliances (ADG) - another review (last in list)
Fateful Lightning (XTR) - review
Gamefest (shop)
Lost Victory (GMT) - review
MacArthur's Return: Leyte 1944 (Avalanche) - review
Over the Reich (COA) - another review (last in list)
Ring of Fire (MiH) - another review (last in list)

NEW FILES

Dark Crusade (3W) - errata
Destroyer Captain (Quarterdeck) - errata
Down with the King (AH) - errata
Dragonquest (SPI) - errata
Hammer of the Scots (Columbia Games) - replay
The Longest Day (AH) - updated replay
Origins 2004 - reports

Alan Poulter
grognard@grognard.com

Archived from groups: rec.games.board,uk.games.board,alt.games.wargames (More info?)

In article <Xns951C8435EA881alanpoulterdemoncouk@158.152.254.254>,
Alan Poulter <alan@poulter.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The Grognards Challenge: David Niday (dniday@325.verizon.net) was
> the first person to guess 'Gulf Strike' (VG). A new Challenge awaits.

? I checked my copy and the map samples for this challenge are NOT
on the operational maps in box (I have 3 and the Strategic map is
compatible with them). The best I can tell, the samples are west of
the western edges of Operational Maps A&B. Was there a 2nd edition
that with a 4th operational map covering most of Iraq?

--
Robert Woodward <robertaw@drizzle.com>
<http://www.drizzle.com/~robertaw

Robert A. Woodward wrote:
> In article <Xns951C8435EA881alanpoulterdemoncouk@158.152.254.254>,
> Alan Poulter <alan@poulter.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>The Grognards Challenge: David Niday (dniday@325.verizon.net) was
>>the first person to guess 'Gulf Strike' (VG). A new Challenge awaits.
>

> ? I checked my copy and the map samples for this challenge are NOT
> on the operational maps in box (I have 3 and the Strategic map is
> compatible with them). The best I can tell, the samples are west of
> the western edges of Operational Maps A&B. Was there a 2nd edition
> that with a 4th operational map covering most of Iraq?

I remember seeing a version in a store ca. 1993 - 94 marked as including
a Desert Storm expansion with the game. Never bought it, but I would
assume that it included extended operational maps covering the bulk of
Iraq as well as counters for the forces historically employed in the 1st
Gulf War.

Jason
--
Jason E. Schaff

jschaff297061@comcast.net

"You can wash a pig as often as you like, but it will still wallow in
the mud."
--Russian Proverb

Archived from groups: rec.games.board,uk.games.board,alt.games.wargames (More info?)

In article <40E8A4F5.90505@comcast.net>,
"Jason E. Schaff" <jschaff297061@comcast.net> wrote:

> Robert A. Woodward wrote:
> > In article <Xns951C8435EA881alanpoulterdemoncouk@158.152.254.254>,
> > Alan Poulter <alan@poulter.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> >

> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>The Grognards Challenge: David Niday (dniday@325.verizon.net) was
> >>the first person to guess 'Gulf Strike' (VG). A new Challenge awaits.
> >

> > ? I checked my copy and the map samples for this challenge are NOT
> > on the operational maps in box (I have 3 and the Strategic map is
> > compatible with them). The best I can tell, the samples are west of
> > the western edges of Operational Maps A&B. Was there a 2nd edition
> > that with a 4th operational map covering most of Iraq?
> >
> I remember seeing a version in a store ca. 1993 - 94 marked as including
> a Desert Storm expansion with the game. Never bought it, but I would
> assume that it included extended operational maps covering the bulk of
> Iraq as well as counters for the forces historically employed in the 1st
> Gulf War.

I have a separate _Desert Shield_ expansion module for Gulf Strike,
but it doesn't have a map ... getting package out and looking
through it ... does say 2nd edition of _Gulf Strike_ is necessary
.... checking scenario instructions ... "map D from 2nd edition used
extensively" and Iraqi victory hexes include Bagdad and other
cities not on Maps A&B.