Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Cant figure out what\'s making my computer freeze

Last response: in CPUs
Share
February 10, 2013 6:59:36 PM

Can anyone help? The computer will randomly freeze, for no apparent reason. Sometimes it will freeze while no applications are running, or right in the middle of a word processing task. After a hard shutdown, it usually will not re-start until I turn off all power (turn off surgebar/all power) and leave it alone for 30 minutes. It will then (usually) run for hours. Overheating issue??

Computer specs:
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
COOLER MASTER GX 450W RS450-ACAAD3-US 450W Power Supply
Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM
AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 3.1GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8120FRG
Patriot Pyro PP60GS25SSDR 2.5" 60GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
OS: Windows 7 Professional

Things I've tried:
10.5 GB are free on the SSD.
Cache and Temp files cleared (CC Cleaner)
Virus & Malware scan completed
Drivers are updated
Hibernate turned off through config, Power savings mode changed to never sleep
Disk scan complete, no issues.
Defrag performed
CPUID Hardware Monitor -- ATI Radeon HD 5450 (graphics card) temp is the highest 126 F/53 C. Motherboard temps about 102 F/38 C.

Can anyone help? Is it a graphic card issue? Fan issue? Thank you so much in advance!
a b à CPUs
February 10, 2013 7:04:14 PM

Hi :) 

Run a hard drive test in DOS... HIRENS BOOT CD etc, it sounds like a failing hard drive...

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
February 10, 2013 7:31:37 PM

Thanks, Brett, how do I do that? My friend performed a hard disk scan (prior to OS boot), and it said the disk had no issues.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 10, 2013 8:00:43 PM

RainOrShine13 said:
Thanks, Brett, how do I do that? My friend performed a hard disk scan (prior to OS boot), and it said the disk had no issues.



Hi :) 

WHAT PRECISELY did he use ? Windows chkdsk is chocolate teapot time...

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
February 10, 2013 8:03:08 PM

I downloaded HD Tune and I have 0 bad sectors in the hard disk and System Health is OK, just to update, thanks.
m
0
l
February 10, 2013 8:03:42 PM

Yes, he used Windows chkdsk that automatically started on the next reboot. Thanks =)
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
February 10, 2013 8:51:03 PM

RainOrShine13 said:
Yes, he used Windows chkdsk that automatically started on the next reboot. Thanks =)



Hi :) 

Use HIRENS...

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
February 10, 2013 10:34:35 PM

Does the Windows Event Viewer show any cause for the lockups, or does it freeze so badly that it doesn't even record that information?

It sounds like you might have a flaky motherboard or memory. I would perform a memory test for several hours\cycles and see if you have a bad RAM stick that isn't holding data properly in one small area. If the test fails, and you have multiple sticks, try to isolate which stick is bad by testing one at a time.
m
0
l
February 20, 2013 1:34:53 PM

Steelwing, thank you, I wasn't even aware of Windows Event Viewer - please see details below. How do I check my memory? I have 1 8GB stick. Motherboard & all hardware components were purchased 1 year ago.

**This was the last event before my OS froze yesterday:

The Software Protection service has completed licensing status check.
Application Id=59a52881-a989-479d-af46-f275c6370663
Licensing Status=
1: 191301d3-a579-428c-b0c7-d7988500f9e3, 1, 0 [(0 [0xC004F014, 0, 0], [(?)(?)(?)(?)(?)(?)])(1 )(2 )]
2: 6f327760-8c5c-417c-9b61-836a98287e0c, 1, 0 [(0 [0x00000000, 1, 0], [(?)(?)( 1 0x00000000 30 0 msft:rm/algorithm/volume/1.0 0x00000000 259200)(?)(?)(?)])(1 )(2 )]
3: fdf3ecb9-b56f-43b2-a9b8-1b48b6bae1a7, 1, 0 [(0 [0xC004F014, 0, 0], [(?)(?)(?)(?)(?)(?)])(1 )(2 )]




**This is the EVENT upon hard reboot, Source WMI, Event ID 10

Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

Any ideas? Thanks again!!
m
0
l
February 20, 2013 1:40:39 PM

RainOrShine13 said:
Can anyone help? The computer will randomly freeze, for no apparent reason. Sometimes it will freeze while no applications are running, or right in the middle of a word processing task. After a hard shutdown, it usually will not re-start until I turn off all power (turn off surgebar/all power) and leave it alone for 30 minutes. It will then (usually) run for hours. Overheating issue??

Computer specs:
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
COOLER MASTER GX 450W RS450-ACAAD3-US 450W Power Supply
Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM
AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 3.1GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8120FRG
Patriot Pyro PP60GS25SSDR 2.5" 60GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
OS: Windows 7 Professional

Things I've tried:
10.5 GB are free on the SSD.
Cache and Temp files cleared (CC Cleaner)
Virus & Malware scan completed
Drivers are updated
Hibernate turned off through config, Power savings mode changed to never sleep
Disk scan complete, no issues.
Defrag performed
CPUID Hardware Monitor -- ATI Radeon HD 5450 (graphics card) temp is the highest 126 F/53 C. Motherboard temps about 102 F/38 C.

Can anyone help? Is it a graphic card issue? Fan issue? Thank you so much in advance!


Maybe just try to use your clean sweeper with caution. Sometimes dust makes the difference.
m
0
l
February 20, 2013 1:47:58 PM

I dusted hardware last week, has made no difference.
m
0
l
February 20, 2013 5:42:51 PM

Update: Today tried troubleshooting the Memory, and BOTH times it caused the same "freezing"/blank screen symptoms. Maybe this is good news that the root cause might be identified??

Now, what can I do to fix or completely troubleshoot? A Malware quick scan says everything is fine, but a "full scan" results in same freezing issue.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
February 20, 2013 5:45:31 PM

Hi :) 

Did you run MEMTEST on the memory ?

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
February 20, 2013 10:56:49 PM

Hi Brett, that memory test also caused the computer to freeze! I did, however, get some kind of message saying something to the effect that "this version of windows does not allocate all the available RAM," so per the instructions, I ran 2 windows concurrently at 1000 MB each. It still froze. Manufacturer is offering to send new Memory stick -- should I just do that and see where I am next?? Thanks again everyone.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
February 20, 2013 10:58:33 PM

RainOrShine13 said:
Hi Brett, that memory test also caused the computer to freeze! I did, however, get some kind of message saying something to the effect that "this version of windows does not allocate all the available RAM," so per the instructions, I ran 2 windows concurrently at 1000 MB each. It still froze. Manufacturer is offering to send new Memory stick -- should I just do that and see where I am next?? Thanks again everyone.



Hi :) 

I would try with the new ram..it often fails...

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
February 20, 2013 11:07:08 PM

Thanks, Brett and everyone. =) I will post once replacement part is received and installed.
m
0
l
February 20, 2013 11:08:53 PM

I tried that earlier today, Popatim. Also did a Scan from the Command Prompt and it said no errors were found.
m
0
l
a c 141 à CPUs
February 21, 2013 1:19:50 AM

Ok... Looks like ram is it anyways. I didnt see those posts while I was digging up that link.
m
0
l
February 21, 2013 1:25:19 AM

Thanks =) I hope its RAM, otherwise I'll be back to square 1. When I get the new RAM, any tips I should do so that I don't touch anything I shouldn't? My friend said she accidentally malfunctioned her motherboard and that's the last thing I need to do
m
0
l
!