Sign in with
Your question

AMD FX-6300, cooler required?

Last response: in CPUs
February 10, 2013 6:59:34 PM

Hi.

Firstly, I am NOT overclocking, nor playing resource intensive games like Battlefield 3. This gaming machine is mostly for Minecraft and video rendering.
The important specs:

AMD FX-6300
ASUS M5A78L-M motherboard
4GB Kingston HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz RAM
450W dual rail PSU + 120mm case fan
STANDARD AMD CPU Cooler
InWin Mana 136 case (see picture) 1 x rear 120mm case fan, 1 x front 120mm case fan, 2 x top 120mm fans, 2 x side 120mm fans

Will I need a dedicated cpu cooler?
Another thing I'm unsure on, "450W dual rail PSU + 120mm case fan", is this powerful enough?

Thanks.
a c 174 à CPUs
a b À AMD
February 10, 2013 7:07:06 PM

U should not need an after market cooler, as the stock should be sufficient for just rendering and minecraft. If u think temps r high, u should invent in a cooler like a cooler master tx3 for $20 as I would as i like knowing temps are never too high, and max temp if i remember is like 60c or something near there. My bro in laws 8150 only gets like 50c on the stock cooling under load with bf3 so i mean u shouldnt have an issue

Power supply wise, u did not list the brand, but 450watts is more than enough to power ur system without a gpu, and i could power it with a gpu like a 7770, 650 ti, but u said ur not heavily gaming, so ur setup shouldnt use too much power, but if it came with the case or its a not well known brand id maybe consider getting a new one. If u dont trust it, then the best cheapest quality psu would be a corsair cx430 which is only usually $35-45
a b à CPUs
February 10, 2013 7:07:20 PM

Hi :) 

The golden rule is...NO overclocking...standard cooler is fine...

Second answer..depends on WHICH Psu...

All the best Brett :) 
Related resources
February 10, 2013 8:15:14 PM

@lazyboy - how easy is it to fit an after market cooler if I decide I need one later on?
@Brett I'm not actually sure, the site doesn't give me the brand. The description of the psu leads me to believe it is an Antec VP-450. This one,

a c 174 à CPUs
a b À AMD
February 10, 2013 8:38:03 PM

I find its not to hard to add a cooler later, they usually come with directions, or u can find a video online if its a commonly bought one like a 212 evo or seomthing.

Look on the psu for a model number or something u can type into google
March 21, 2013 8:51:49 AM

I would get an aftermarket cooler with your other build parts. I had to take the back plate off my mobo to install the hyper 212 evo. Removing the mobo later on to install it was not what I wanted to do. It was kind of a pain to install but it was my first aftermarket cooler since Athlon 64 3500+ if that tells you anything......
a c 307 à CPUs
a c 124 À AMD
March 21, 2013 1:14:21 PM

You won't need to go to the extra work and expense of an aftermarket cooler for your situation. The stock cooler will do the job. I don't see a graphic card listed. Are you going to be using the on-board video? All the MB has is VGA analog output. No digital.
If the PSU is an Antec, it should be fine.
!