Can i get a better psu?

i have a dell optiplex 9010 and im wondering can i get another psu for it because i want to buy a better graphics card
Reply to allen287
21 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. I'm going to asume you are not referring to the optiplex 9010 All-in-One unit. You should be able to upgrade your PSU but it depends upon which size of case you have as to what your power supply size limitations will be. Do you have the mini-tower (MT), Desktop (DT), Small From Factor (SFF) or Ultra Small Form Factor (USFF) case?
    Reply to C12Friedman
  2. i have the MT
    Reply to allen287
  3. That form factor uses a standard ATX PSU, your limitation on the PSU will be the depth - how far back does the current PSU go in and how much additional room do you have behind it before the drives (or cage) interfere?
    Reply to C12Friedman
  4. Reply to allen287
  5. I would say you shouldn't have any problem going up to a 500W PSU. But I'm going to suggest you find the graphics card that fits your needs and budget and then, armed with that info, decide what size PSU you'll want/need. I'd recommend budgeting about $60-$75 for the PSU.
    On your case, does the black door latch seem to prevent the PSU from being more than an inch longer (I can't tell from the pic)
    Reply to C12Friedman
  6. it would seem i could get a inch long one but i think it would be a pretty tight fit with that latch in the way
    Reply to allen287
  7. oh yeah and im looking to get a good gpu for gaming a budget around $130 or 200 if i really have to
    Reply to allen287
  8. allen287 said:
    oh yeah and im looking to get a good gpu for gaming a budget around $130 or 200 if i really have to

What game and what resolution will you be using?

In the meantime, here are a couple of suggestions within your budget:

Around 130$: Radeon 7770
    Around 150$: GeForce 650-Ti
    Around 190$: Radeon 7850

But as I said, depending on the games and resolution, we'll be able to tell you if it's worth going for the 7850 or if you should settle for less.
    Reply to MC_K7
  9. my res now is1024x768 in windowed mode witch is not really bad for me for swtor but i would like it to be more high
    Reply to allen287
  10. whats ur budget and reasons for a new ps
    Reply to iceclock
  11. allen287 said:
    my res now is1024x768 in windowed mode witch is not really bad for me for swtor but i would like it to be more high

That's a really low resolution and that game is not really demanding. Is that the only game you'll be playing? If that's the case the 7770 should be more than enough. If you have a larger screen don't be afraid to increase the resolution and graphics quality with a new video card it should handle it with no problem.

*** Edit: When I asked for resolution I meant the one you're planning on using, ideally your monitor resolution. For best graphics experience you should try to run games at the same resolution as your monitor. What's your monitor resolution? Also, will you be playing other games?
    Reply to MC_K7
  12. oh sorry its 1600x900
    Reply to allen287
  13. Looking at your picture again, it appears you have a dual lowprofile graphics card setup already which really should be enough for what you seem to want to do (I'm thinking it's the DUAL 1GB AMD RDN HD7470,LP,w/VGA setup they offer). I'm all for upgrades but I don't think you'll get much out of your plan as far as additional performance
    My $0.02 here
    Reply to C12Friedman
  14. yea it is and yea so its ok not to many problems for me but i want to make that big leap to full pc gaming and leave consoles alone lol ill sell both my consoles to put towards upgrading if i have to
    Reply to allen287
  15. allen287 said:
    yea it is and yea so its ok not to many problems for me but i want to make that big leap to full pc gaming and leave consoles alone lol ill sell both my consoles to put towards upgrading if i have to

Yep, and the fact you need to lower your resolution to 1024x768 to play your game means you need more power.
    Reply to MC_K7
  16. whats ur max budget?
    Reply to iceclock
  17. i would say 150 to 200 if i must
    Reply to allen287
  18. are u willing to buy a new case+ps?
    Reply to iceclock
  19. i would not know how to switch everything over unless i could take it to a local pc shop and they could do it for me
    Reply to allen287
  20. they could do that.
    Reply to iceclock
  21. I just wanted to add on another option to get a larger power supply into the OptiPlex 9010 Mini Tower case on the chance that someone looking for info on how to do this finds this discussion. As mentioned earlier, the latch mechanism prevents a larger size ATX power supply from easily sliding into place. To get around this, I uninstalled the motherboard, which gave me enough room to install a higher wattage power supply. My replacement power supply measured 3.4" x 5.9" x 6.1"/ 86mm x 150mm x 155mm, just a little bit too big to get past the latch - I tried multiple ways to angle it in place, none worked. I finally just removed the motherboard, installed the power supply, then reinstalled the motherboard. Uninstalling and reinstalling the motherboard only took about an extra 15 minutes.
    Reply to kc27
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Power Supplies Optiplex Graphics Cards Dell Components