Can i get a better psu?

allen287

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
i have a dell optiplex 9010 and im wondering can i get another psu for it because i want to buy a better graphics card

I'm going to asume you are not referring to the optiplex 9010 All-in-One unit. You should be able to upgrade your PSU but it depends upon which size of case you have as to what your power supply size limitations will be. Do you have the mini-tower (MT), Desktop (DT), Small From Factor (SFF) or Ultra Small Form Factor (USFF) case?

I would say you shouldn't have any problem going up to a 500W PSU. But I'm going to suggest you find the graphics card that fits your needs and budget and then, armed with that info, decide what size PSU you'll want/need. I'd recommend budgeting about $60-$75 for the PSU.
On your case, does the black door latch seem to prevent the PSU from being more than an inch longer (I can't tell from the pic)

MC_K7

Distinguished

What game and what resolution will you be using?

In the meantime, here are a couple of suggestions within your budget:

Around 130$: Radeon 7770
Around 150$: GeForce 650-Ti
Around 190$: Radeon 7850

But as I said, depending on the games and resolution, we'll be able to tell you if it's worth going for the 7850 or if you should settle for less.

MC_K7

Distinguished

That's a really low resolution and that game is not really demanding. Is that the only game you'll be playing? If that's the case the 7770 should be more than enough. If you have a larger screen don't be afraid to increase the resolution and graphics quality with a new video card it should handle it with no problem.

*** Edit: When I asked for resolution I meant the one you're planning on using, ideally your monitor resolution. For best graphics experience you should try to run games at the same resolution as your monitor. What's your monitor resolution? Also, will you be playing other games?

Looking at your picture again, it appears you have a dual lowprofile graphics card setup already which really should be enough for what you seem to want to do (I'm thinking it's the DUAL 1GB AMD RDN HD7470,LP,w/VGA setup they offer). I'm all for upgrades but I don't think you'll get much out of your plan as far as additional performance
My $0.02 here

allen287

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
yea it is and yea so its ok not to many problems for me but i want to make that big leap to full pc gaming and leave consoles alone lol ill sell both my consoles to put towards upgrading if i have to

MC_K7

Distinguished

Yep, and the fact you need to lower your resolution to 1024x768 to play your game means you need more power.

kc27

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
I just wanted to add on another option to get a larger power supply into the OptiPlex 9010 Mini Tower case on the chance that someone looking for info on how to do this finds this discussion. As mentioned earlier, the latch mechanism prevents a larger size ATX power supply from easily sliding into place. To get around this, I uninstalled the motherboard, which gave me enough room to install a higher wattage power supply. My replacement power supply measured 3.4" x 5.9" x 6.1"/ 86mm x 150mm x 155mm, just a little bit too big to get past the latch - I tried multiple ways to angle it in place, none worked. I finally just removed the motherboard, installed the power supply, then reinstalled the motherboard. Uninstalling and reinstalling the motherboard only took about an extra 15 minutes.