21exp

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
Hi! I am going to upgrade my graphics card from nvidia gt 530 to a new one. But my question is: Which graphics card would be the best for my system? I'm planning to buy a gtx 670 or a hd 7970. Is my system good enough for those?

Specs:
Processor: Intel i7 2600
RAM: 8Gb
HDD: 2 TB
Power supply: Internal 300w (100-240v)

Is my power supply good enough to support those graphics cards or do I have to buy a new one?

iamcacao

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

You definitely need to upgrade your power supply even if you might somehow be able to get by with the 300w I'm assuming it's a very cheap one so you don't want to risk damaging a high end GPU like that with a crappy power supply! Make sure that you get something 80+.

maxinexus

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
For 1080p you should get 7950. That is an overkill. You can find very good deals like i did. Got my MSI twin Frozr for 309 now it is 329. At this price there is nothing better that can match its performance. 670 performs about the same if little better depends on benchmark and it is $90. 7970 is the most powerful out of these. Anyway I would go smart and get 7950 which is more than enough for the resolution you usually play games. Save $90 and buy your wife some flowers. :)

For those games, you absolutely will want the GTX 670. BF3 and Skyrim significantly perform better on the 670 than the 7970. The 670 also gives you the option to enable Ambient Occlusion and Transparency Supersampling in Skyrim, which greatly enhance the graphics. In fact, Ambient Occlusion in Skyrim has been called the best setting you can enable for the greatest visual impact. The 7970 is simply unable to force Ambient Occlusion or Transparency Supersampling.
http://www.geforce.com/Optimize/Guides/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-tweak-guide?sf2686171=1/#19

Skyrim-AO-Comparison.gif

Lastly, the deal breaker for the 7970, is that Borderlands 2 is a PhysX game. Again, only the GTX 670 will allow you to play Borderlands 2 with PhysX enabled. Borderlands 2 uses some of the most advanced PhysX effects seen yet, including:
- Fully simulated tearable cloth which interacts with weapons, forces, weather, etc
- Persistent GPU simulated particles that interact with the world
- Fully-interactive fluids
- Volumetric smoke trails from rockets
- and quote: "Borderlands 2 also makes use of PhysX to render destruction. For example, fire a rocket launcher into the ground, and huge chunks of earth and gravel fly into the air. The resulting debris settles on the floor, where you can kick it around by walking through it."
http://physxinfo.com/news/7865/borderlands-2-will-be-enhanced-with-gpu-physx-effects/

The ground being torn up in this screenshot is all PhysX. You will not want to play Borderlands 2 on a 7970/7950 and miss out on these great effects:

Borderlands-bandits.jpg

G

get a 630w power supply and a gtx 670 and you are ready to go 60fps all games .