Sign in with
Your question

Lotes socket am3

Last response: in Components
February 10, 2013 8:31:55 PM

Hi,
I'm hoping you can help me. In the proccess of blowing dust out of my computer, I disconnected the easy release on my heat sink. I didn't know that there were all those pins connected to the bottom. Well, putting it back on, i bent a pin and now its broken off. What I'm try to figure out is the prupose of the lock arm on the lotes sockey am3. I can see that it slides the plate back and forth but, I didn't release the lock arm to remove the heat sink. does the lock arm have to be up before the pins attached to the bottome of the heat sink are reinstalled? Lastly, do the pins attached to the bottom of the heat sink come off?
thank you,
Vic Temple
vicbruno@hotmail.com

More about : lotes socket am3

February 10, 2013 8:47:58 PM

There are no pins on a heatsink, what you are looking at is the bottom of the CPU (which appearently has stuck to the heatsink - not unheard of). The problem now is one of your CPU's pins are broken and in almost all cases, that will render the CPU inoperable and replacement will be needed - there is a very slight possibility that the pin isn't required and you can function without it but that is highly unlikely.
Hate to say it but you're gonna need a new CPU
m
l
February 10, 2013 8:49:36 PM

You have managed yo release the whole Cooler and CPU in one go and snapped a pin off of your CPU. Its not a quick release its the ZIF or `zero insertion force' system that locks the CPU onto the motherboard.

The arm should be up before the CPU is inserted and yes the pins do come off as they are attached to your now most probably useless CPU.

You should have slackened off the screws either side of the cooler which would have released the cooler and then gently twisted the cooler so as to break the bond the thermal paste has made between the Cooler and CPU leave the CPU in the socket.

Mactronix :) 
m
l
!