SLi GTX 560SE's + GTX 260 OC'd resolution issue

LittleBonk

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
Hey Guys,

I am having trouble with (as per forum suggestion) my GTX 560SE's SLi'd and using the GTX 260 OC as the dedicated PhysX processor. Each time I shut down or restart the computer my resolution in my primary monitor is out of range (not where it's not displaying anything just where it's way larger than the screen itself). Attempting to "auto-adjust" through the monitor does not provide a solution.

The primary monitor I am using is a 27" samsung SyncMaster P277 and it's native resolution is 1920x1080 while the secondary monitor is an older 20" Sceptre X20WG-Naga with a native resolution of 1680x1050. The only thing I can think of would be causing this, is that they are not identical monitors and not running at the same resolutions?! :heink:.

The only solution I have found (which is temporary until the next restart/shutdown) is adjusting the primary monitor's resolution through windows rather than the Nvidia Control panel to a lower resolution (any) and then resetting it back to 1920x1080. This will put everything in place as it should be and if I attempt the same process through the Nvidia control panel it will not fix it, rather reverts to how it would be after a restart (way larger than the screen itself).

Any suggestions to get it to where it should be and save/remember the settings :( ?! All will be appreciated. Thanks again!

LittleBonk

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012

Here's a screenshot of the settings. Bottom right has the temps of the 3 cards (seem to be okay range w/EVGA precision)

LittleBonk

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
I have 2 Monitors. Yes they are running at different resolutions, as the older one max's out at 1680x1050 and the newer is at 1920x1080 (says in post and shows in the screenshot ;) )

verbalizer

Distinguished
now I want you to pay attention to the idle temp of the top card when both monitors are plugged into it.
what is it now with a single monitor and then what is it with both monitors.
(mixed resolutions might make the idle temp higher by +12C)

LittleBonk

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
Okay, thanks I'll give that a try. Just by positioning and physics GPU1 is 10degrees cooler from not being cramped/heat-soaked by the power supply (which sits on the bottom in my case) and the middle card.

LittleBonk

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
temp is at about 50 under load on the first card. mid card is at 41 and 3rd card is at 47... Thanks again Verbalizer. Did you suggest otherwise to all three cards for airflow purposes?

verbalizer

Distinguished
air-flow is one, heat and power consumption is another.
I feel it's not needed (PhysX) since you also have SLi.
how many PhysX games do you have and yes I know one or two more are about to come out.?
and if your not playing a PhysX game what are you doing, benching PhysX software.?
I mean really..... what.?

now I understand playing around with it because you have the hardware and just 'being techie', see how many frames you can get in the right situation.
but in the end, sell it for the extra cash or take it out and use as back-up or build card for the next project.

I did the same thing your doing a few years back.
I'm just speaking from my own experience.

you do what you want to do..
as I stated in the right situation it will be of benefit.

LittleBonk

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
I would say it was very much so "just being techie". I was seeing how I could maximize this old setup with 3DMark. I agree though I play one game that actually utilizes it. Again my whole system is bottle-necked by the processor. So in the end you're right I will pull it and just run the two SLi'd. Thanks for all the help along the way though.

cheers!