Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Photo Editing Rig Specs - Help!!!

Last response: in CPUs
February 10, 2013 8:39:32 PM

Hi all,

I am about to undertake my first build to create a photo editing rig for myself and wanted your opinions as I am a bit out of touch with components these days....

As I mentioned the biggest demands on a day-to-day basis will be photo editing (Lightroom 4 and Photoshop CS6), although I may occasionally play some games but not in a hardcore way. I will not be doing video editing. I want to ensure I have a nice quick and smooth workflow from importing RAW files, to applying filters and exporting JPEGs.

I plan on running Windows 8, a solid state drive along with a HDD and 16gigs of RAM. Because I want to spend some extra cash on a nice IPS monitor and the SSD drive is already upping my cost, I am trying to contain my remaining costs while not sacrificing too much performance.

My questions are primarily surrounding processors, mother boards and video cards....

CPU:
i5-3470 vs FX-8150 or would anyone recommend looking at another chip?

MoBo:
What you recommend that would have sufficient USB 3 and SATA 6?

GPU:
Required or would onboard be sufficient? If you recommend dedicated, which card?

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
a b à CPUs
February 10, 2013 9:14:04 PM

cpu--far as i know cs6 more cores is better so 8150

mobo--too many to choose from

gpu--far as i know amd cards do really well in cs6 due to their opencl performance

which card?

depends on budget

amd 6950 upwards i guess

i dont do Lightroom 4 and only the basics in Photoshop CS6

so thats only my opinion

no doubt some one who has more knowledge of those programs will also give you some advice

edit--a motherboard supporting 32gb of ram may be handy if doing heavy cs6 etc

far as i know the more ram the better for heavy editing

m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
February 10, 2013 10:09:52 PM

The 8150 is last generation and did not review very well. I am sure it would work fine, but the newer 8300 generation is a lot better. I would make sure to go 8320 or 8350 if you go AMD.

As far as motherboards, ASrock Extreme series are an excellent bang-for-the-buck choice. They make them in various models for both AMD and Intel.

16GB is more than enough RAM

If you aren't into gaming big time, I would get a Radeon 7770. They are not too expensive, but will still game pretty well and also enable GPU acceleration in CS6.

I'd probably do something like this (excluding drives as it sounded like you had those picked out)

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CI9u
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CI9u/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CI9u/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 EXTREME4 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($42.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7770 1GB Video Card ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($97.28 @ TigerDirect)
Total: $610.22
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-10 19:09 EST-0500)
!