XFX Radeon 6850 - No display

dunnywoods

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
Hi

Unfortunately, I am having some issues with a manufacturer refurbished XFX Radeon 6850 card which I bought today for my girlfriend's PC. I have built PC's before, so I know what I'm doing to a moderate degree. Before installing I removed the existing drivers but whenever I try to boot up with the new card I get 4 beeps and then the monitor doesn't seem to recognize the input, however Windows is still starting in the background.

PC Specs

MB - Asus F1a55 M LX pro
CPU - AMD Athlon II X4 631
HDD - Western digital 500gb
PSU - 500w CiT

First I thought it might be the PSU because I know its not exactly top of the line. So I tried it in my own PC which has a 900w XFX PSU currently running a 6870. Same issue. I tried it on two different monitors, same issue. I was using an old Asus 4350 card in my GF's PC, until she got this one, which worked fine and as I said my current system runs a 6870 no problems but was getting no display with the 6850. So, I'm thinking the GPU is faulty in some way.

I have contacted the seller but any help or suggestiong would be appriciated.

Thanks.

Hi,

Have you plugged in any extra power cable from the PSU?

Drivers here are not an issue if the BIOS makes beeps.

Here are 3 possibilities of problems:

1- need extra power (extra cables )
2- incompatible with mobo
3- hardware problem on GPU.

The other that I found is if If you use a vga to dvi adapter you might get that kind of trouble.

But really the fact that you get 4 beeps means it a trouble with the card directly.
So it's whether the power cable not plugged in if needed or defective card

dunnywoods

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
Hey, yeah I plugged in the 6-pin cable. The card powers on and everything jsut no display. I am using a DVI-VGA adapter but I also tried it without on a different monitor and had the same issue. I'm not sure how to see if the card is detected because I can't get into BIOS with no display?

Thanks