Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

2550k for $150 or 3570k for $230?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
February 10, 2013 9:54:41 PM

So i planned to build a new gaming rig, already bought a corsair vs550 psu.

Here's the build:
Asrock z77 extreme3
Corsair vengeance 2x4gb
Zotac gtx 650ti
(the rest is unnecessary i think)

And here's the pros and cons in my perspective:

2550k:
+ f**king cheap deal
+ could spend the $80 gap to a better GPU and HSF cooler
+ less hotter when OCing
- TRAY TRAY
- buying a SB in 2013? Lol
- if i pick this, and buy a better gpu than gtx 650 ti, i'm afraid my already-purchased corsair psu vs550 cant handle the rig CMIIW (because i did the power calculation and buy the psu before knowing there is a deal like this)
- no 1600mhz RAM support (please somebody explain to me, can i use corsair vengeance (which is 1600mhz) at its full potential?)
- less futureproof haha
- TRAY

3570k:
+ BOX
+ IB ftw!
+ better performance clock to clock
+ igp intel HD 4000 (which i really dont care since i managed to drop a discrete GPU on the rig, but idk for VirtuMVP (please explain about this))
- hotter when OCing
- much much much much more expensive

Ok then, hope you get my point, and i really appreciate your answer. Thanks :) 

More about : 2550k 150 3570k 230

a c 446 à CPUs
February 10, 2013 10:00:27 PM

I would get the i5-2550k. Assuming the same clockspeed, the average performance difference is 6%. Due to the lack of an IGP, the 2550k should be easier to cool. Also, SB tends to OC a bit better than IB so that 6% difference in performance becomes less.
a c 105 à CPUs
February 10, 2013 10:05:52 PM

id say 3570k as its got more stock performance and onced overclocked beats the 2550k. but if you can get the 2550k cheaper get that.

Related resources
February 10, 2013 10:11:15 PM

in that price performance ratio definitely the 2550k!
a b à CPUs
February 10, 2013 10:11:33 PM

The iGPU comes in handy when you have video card problems but besides that it is unecessary when you have a graphics card to add. With that price I would get the 2550. $80 is a huge difference with little difference in processors.
February 10, 2013 10:13:40 PM

I think you should get the 2550k, it's not a huge difference from the 3570k like the others said. Save that $80 and get yourself a better GPU instead. Something like a HD 7850 or GTX 660.
February 10, 2013 10:22:09 PM

thanks all for the super speed response, but a few questions still got unanswered:

1. About the 1600mhz ram, can i use it on 2550k?
2. About the VirtuMVP, does a lack of an igp affect the requirement issue of the software itself?
3. Is it so many differences between the box and tray version?

Thanks again
a b à CPUs
February 10, 2013 10:24:38 PM

2550k. that price difference should go to the gpu.

1. yes, just set it up on bios
2. do not use virtumvp. the software is buggy, and the new 2.0 version requires you to pay.

February 10, 2013 10:28:55 PM

gfullbuster said:
thanks all for the super speed response, but a few questions still got unanswered:

1. About the 1600mhz ram, can i use it on 2550k?
2. About the VirtuMVP, does a lack of an igp affect the requirement issue of the software itself?
3. Is it so many differences between the box and tray version?

Thanks again


1. Yes you can, go to BIOS, and setup a XMP profile.
2. Don't know. dudewitbow saids it above.
3. The difference between those two are retail (box) and OEM (tray).
February 10, 2013 11:15:13 PM

dudewitbow said:
2550k. that price difference should go to the gpu.

1. yes, just set it up on bios
2. do not use virtumvp. the software is buggy, and the new 2.0 version requires you to pay.


ipwn3r456 said:
1. Yes you can, go to BIOS, and setup a XMP profile.
2. Don't know. dudewitbow saids it above.
3. The difference between those two are retail (box) and OEM (tray).


Ok thank you very much.

So, if i can normally use 1600mhz ram, what does this mean:
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BCyP88_CMAAwaPj.jpg#twimg

Taken from ark.intel.com


Another question :D , if later i managed to pick 2550k, and also hd7850 with it, can i still use my already-purchased corsair psu vs550?
a c 105 à CPUs
February 10, 2013 11:16:15 PM

yes u can use 1600mhz. thats the max by intel standards. yes u can use the vs550 fine

a b à CPUs
February 10, 2013 11:18:31 PM

memory support is slightly controlled by motherboard choice as well. if you have a 1600 timed ram, you may need to manually go into bios and change it from 1333 to 1600 on a few occasions. Your psu is fine
a c 105 à CPUs
February 10, 2013 11:20:28 PM

witch is very easy. and ps is fine

February 10, 2013 11:22:18 PM

You can go as high frequency RAMs as your motherboard allows (the ASRock Z77 Extreme3 supports up to DDR3 2800 MHz with XMP). The HD 7850 itself doesn't use that much power, so your PSU should be fine.
a c 105 à CPUs
February 10, 2013 11:27:44 PM

yes, but intel has specific specifications u gotta follow, or else u void ur warranty

February 10, 2013 11:37:25 PM

iceclock said:
yes, but intel has specific specifications u gotta follow, or else u void ur warranty


Well, even if you overclock the CPU, the warranty still voids. But if you have the "Performance Tuning Protection Plan" from Intel, then overclocking is covered.
February 10, 2013 11:46:01 PM

iceclock said:
yes, but intel has specific specifications u gotta follow, or else u void ur warranty


ipwn3r456 said:
Well, even if you overclock the CPU, the warranty still voids. But if you have the "Performance Tuning Protection Plan" from Intel, then overclocking is covered.


Well the 2550k is a TRAY version btw, so i wont get any intel warranty, only distro warranty.

Thanks guys, i think i should buy the 2550k one ASAP before the stock goes empty :D 
a c 105 à CPUs
February 10, 2013 11:46:38 PM

sounds good :) 

cheerios.

February 10, 2013 11:49:11 PM

Good luck with your new CPU. Have fun overclocking? lol.
a c 105 à CPUs
February 10, 2013 11:50:20 PM

yes :)  enjoy ur beast

February 11, 2013 12:35:52 AM

ipwn3r456 said:
Good luck with your new CPU. Have fun overclocking? lol.


iceclock said:
yes :)  enjoy ur beast

:D  thanks

But sorry again, this is the very last question :D  i did read some article, and found that usb 3.0 wont work with a SB coupled with z77 mobo? Is it true? I mean the whole casing's usb 3 and also mobo's usb 3 port wont work?
February 11, 2013 12:43:41 AM

It is not true. The only difference is that you won't have PCIE 3.0 support, which its not really a matter these days. It depends on the motherboard itself have USB 3.0 support.
a c 105 à CPUs
February 11, 2013 12:48:59 AM

thats not true. pci 3.0 is nothing but a gimmick for now. 2.0 works just as fast.

3.0 might be faster in the long future but for now zero difference between 2.0 and 3.0

February 11, 2013 12:51:37 AM

ipwn3r456 said:
It is not true. The only difference is that you won't have PCIE 3.0 support, which its not really a matter these days. It depends on the motherboard itself have USB 3.0 support.


iceclock said:
thats not true. pci 3.0 is nothing but a gimmick for now. 2.0 works just as fast.

3.0 might be faster in the long future but for now zero difference between 2.0 and 3.0


Ok finally, final thanks :D 

Gotta prepare my car to the store :D 
a c 105 à CPUs
February 11, 2013 12:59:38 AM

excellent

a b à CPUs
February 11, 2013 2:15:17 AM

as a reference, the only time pci-e 3.0 is relavent is in trifire+ setups in general. pci-e 3.0 4x is the same speed as pci-e 2.0 8x. thats about it, so if you had a mobo with pcie-3.0 8x/8x/4x, its almost as if its pci-e 2.0 16x/16x/8x which is enough, but that situation rarely arises as thats the minority of the minority(people who have gaming computers)
a c 105 à CPUs
February 11, 2013 2:27:10 AM

even than it doesnt do jack. look at numbers and benches. even in tri-sli or tri-crossfire barely any performance difference and real world advantages.

a c 105 à CPUs
February 11, 2013 2:35:31 AM

thats if u live near a microcenter

a b à CPUs
February 11, 2013 2:44:56 AM

2550k, better OC, cheaper, no need for integrated GPU for gaming so 80bucks more on the GPU is a big upgrade (2500k overclock better than 3570k so i assume the 2550k still do better than a 3570k and by deduction 5ghz 2550k vs 4.6 3570k = faster performance with the 2550k and you'll have a better GPU too !!!)
a c 105 à CPUs
February 11, 2013 2:46:17 AM

the 2500k doesnt overclock better. also in real world settings 4.5 or 5gigahertz no real difference.

February 11, 2013 3:59:09 AM

iceclock said:
the 2500k doesnt overclock better. also in real world settings 4.5 or 5gigahertz no real difference.


That might be true on the gaming side, but not when doing some CPU intensive applications such as video editing.
a c 105 à CPUs
February 11, 2013 9:36:39 AM

true. but he doesnt seem to be video editing much.

February 11, 2013 10:11:17 PM

iceclock said:
true. but he doesnt seem to be video editing much.


Not everyone is goona game all day. lol :lol: 
a c 105 à CPUs
February 11, 2013 10:36:55 PM

ya i know thats why i ordered a 8350 :) 

February 11, 2013 10:39:37 PM

iceclock said:
ya i know thats why i ordered a 8350 :) 


Pretty good choice for multi-threaded programs for that particular CPU, plus it's cheap price. Why not get the Intel Xeon 8 cores? :lol: 
a c 105 à CPUs
February 11, 2013 10:43:59 PM

thats way too expensive.

February 11, 2013 10:46:10 PM

iceclock said:
thats way too expensive.


Yeah just saying lol. How's the performance on the FX-8350? Or you haven't got it yet? lol
a c 105 à CPUs
February 11, 2013 10:47:03 PM

i havent gotten it yet. but from benchmarks and my friend owning one its beastly

February 11, 2013 10:52:28 PM

That's cool. Do you plan to overclock?
a c 105 à CPUs
February 11, 2013 11:06:12 PM

yes. got a sabertooth a 1337 board for oc and trisli. 16gigs of low-profile vengeance ram. 850watt corsairps. zalman 9900max cooler

February 12, 2013 12:19:54 AM

That's nice. Good luck overclocking.
a c 105 à CPUs
February 12, 2013 2:59:30 AM

thanks. interesting dell u got there. i bet u wish u had a custom build right about now right :) 

February 12, 2013 3:05:18 AM

iceclock said:
thanks. interesting dell u got there. i bet u wish u had a custom build right about now right :) 


Yeah. I kind of regret it. Bought this machine like uhh, 1 year and 6 months ago. Back then I don't have good experiences with computers, and didn't know about this site. I upgraded to a SSD, using the HDD comes with it as storage. But the CPU itself isn't that bad, just that you can't overclock >.< Planning to upgrade the PSU and GPU soon. Overall, it's not of a terrible Dell. lol.
a c 105 à CPUs
February 12, 2013 9:50:49 AM

ya i know. cuz its *upgraded lol*

February 12, 2013 10:18:11 PM

iceclock said:
ya i know. cuz its *upgraded lol*


Yeah, "upgraded" lol. I am really looking forward for the next generation GPUs. But looking at the rumors and news, it really disappoint me that they might not have them this year... I want to buy a GPU in the summer time...
a c 105 à CPUs
February 12, 2013 10:40:10 PM

well ur cpu is powerfull so no need to upgrade for a while :D 

February 12, 2013 10:47:56 PM

iceclock said:
well ur cpu is powerfull so no need to upgrade for a while :D 

I don't even have plans to upgrade my CPU. Plus, even if I upgrade to a i7-3770, it's not even a huge improvement anyway... plus haswell is based on LGA 1150, there's no point for me to upgrade. All I need is a good GPU and maybe a PSU.
a c 105 à CPUs
February 12, 2013 11:25:07 PM

yar. i was gonna receive all this today:

(x2) Bitfenix Spectre BFF-BLF-12025R-RP 120MM Red LED Case Fan 1000RPM
(1x) Bitfenix Spectre BFF-BLF-14025O-RP 140MM Orange LED Case Fan


Zalman CNPS9900MAX-B Nickel Plated Copper Headsink Blue LED 135mm
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 ATX AM3+ 990FX/SB950 DDR3 1PCI-E16

AMD FX-8350 8 Core Processor Socket AM3+ 4.0GHZ 16MB 125W Retail

and ive got 16 gigs of corsair. 850watt corsair ps, and 660ti and xfi platinum fatality. gonna rock it out 8core style :p 


February 12, 2013 11:40:30 PM

iceclock said:
yar. i was gonna receive all this today:

(x2) Bitfenix Spectre BFF-BLF-12025R-RP 120MM Red LED Case Fan 1000RPM
(1x) Bitfenix Spectre BFF-BLF-14025O-RP 140MM Orange LED Case Fan


Zalman CNPS9900MAX-B Nickel Plated Copper Headsink Blue LED 135mm
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 ATX AM3+ 990FX/SB950 DDR3 1PCI-E16

AMD FX-8350 8 Core Processor Socket AM3+ 4.0GHZ 16MB 125W Retail

and ive got 16 gigs of corsair. 850watt corsair ps, and 660ti and xfi platinum fatality. gonna rock it out 8core style :p 


Got some good stuff here. GTX 660 Ti? What about the HD 7950?
!