Help with PC build for guild wars 2

Hey im thinking of building a PC in the coming year mainly to play things like Guild Wars 2 and Diablo 3. I dont have a PC that can run either of these at all (I have a dell inspiron laptop). I'm trying to keep the budget down as much as possible, im not looking for anything high end by any stretch of the imagination.

I was thinking about a radeon 6670 DDR3 GPU or maybe Geeforce 440 GDDR5. If you guys could recommend some parts like an affordable CPU that wont bottleneck the graphics card and that would be able to run guild wars nicely. i would imagine its pretty taxing with so many people all the time. dont really no anything about motherboards either.

I'm very new to this and your advice would me much appreciated
12 answers Last reply
More about help build guild wars
  1. I guess an apu will suit you best if you just can afford those cards, the top apu from amd will have about the same gpu performance as those cards.
    Like an amd A10-5800K and a FM2 board.
  2. You could buy the A10-5800k and run the 6670 in crossfire with the integrated GPU, that would be the best possible option I believe.
  3. Thanks

ok so am i right in thinking if i bought an A10-5800K then i wouldnt need a seperate 6670 card. Although i would be able to if i wanted and run them together..?
    Also does FM2 just refer to the socket type of the mobo and the other components. does it matter which board i go for as long as it has these sockets?
    are their any implications for upgrading by having an apu?
  4. LOL, the main reason I am building my A10-5800K build is GW2.

I just posted for advice on my build. Come look at the thread. May help you with getting a head start on a A10 build.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/364786-28-5800k-build-time-builder-advice

But yes, 6670 is the best card you can CrossFire with the a10-5800k. Great thing about this APU is the ability to get better performance from higher speed memory.

If you are willing to tweak it a bit more, learn about over/under clocking/volting.
  5. rjweinstock said:
    Thanks

ok so am i right in thinking if i bought an A10-5800K then i wouldnt need a seperate 6670 card. Although i would be able to if i wanted and run them together..?
    Also does FM2 just refer to the socket type of the mobo and the other components. does it matter which board i go for as long as it has these sockets?
    are their any implications for upgrading by having an apu?

Yes exactly, you would have to buy a 6670 with the A10-5800k. Upgrading options are kinda limited though, you would have to almost completely replace everything. :)
  6. Thanks for the info guys made for some interesting reading although not sure ive managed to take it all in

Firstly would GW2 run on the APU without the radeon 6670, if i bought say some DDR3 1866 to boost the minimum frame rate? then i could upgrade by putting a 6670 in later? Also in your build C7C you seem to be going for 2400 ram although because of the motherboard they used when testing they didnt gain any bonus from above 1866?
    Has there been a test on the MSI A75 that has suggested otherwise? sorry if this is mentioned in the hexus article. that went a bit over my head.

As far as overclocking is concerned, for your system all you would need was some extra cooling and you'd be sorted..?
  7. I wouldn't recommend the crossfire solution, either get the apu for just the cpu and gpu solution and if you can't afford a better card and/or cpu.
    Like a FX cpu+7770 or i3+7770.
    For an apu the ram speeds is important, so yes, 1866 mhz will improve the fps, you can also get the samsung ram at 1.35v or other similar, which is highly overclockable, and raise the speeds in the bios, the asrock boards are better for it, look for one with the A75 chipset.
  8. ok so maybe something like ASRock FM2A75 Pro4 - motherboard - ATX - Socket FM2
    Then samsung ram seems considerably higher priced would i need to go for 2x4 or would 4bg suffice

Thanks for answering all my questions :) didnt no what CPU stood for a couple of weeks ago but im getting there
  9. Say i was able to get a cheap 2nd hand but barely used radeon 6670 for around £30 which i think is very cheap would there still be a good CPU that would match the a10 5800k for the same or less money or is that still the best option?
  10. It mostly depends on your budget. An FX 4300 and 7770 would be a nice inexpensive combo as well. There are probably a lot more AM3+ budget boards out there over FM2. If budget constrained, the A10 5800k and a used 6670 isn't a bad option. It appears that a 7570 or 7670 is also an option if you run across one of them for a cheap price.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/a10-5800k-a8-5600k-a6-5400k,3224-4.html
  11. AMD FX 4100 Bulldozer Quad Core 3.6Ghz Black Edition AM3+ Cpu

with http ://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/socket-am3-asus-tek-motherboard-as-new-condition/1009473825

and 6670

all for under £130

would these be compatible and run well?
  12. rjweinstock said:
    Firstly would GW2 run on the APU without the radeon 6670, if i bought say some DDR3 1866 to boost the minimum frame rate? then i could upgrade by putting a 6670 in later? Also in your build C7C you seem to be going for 2400 ram although because of the motherboard they used when testing they didnt gain any bonus from above 1866?
    Has there been a test on the MSI A75 that has suggested otherwise? sorry if this is mentioned in the hexus article. that went a bit over my head.

As far as overclocking is concerned, for your system all you would need was some extra cooling and you'd be sorted..?
    Quite a few of the FM2 MB have updated the BIOS to take advantage of faster memory. MSI did that with 1.5 (their MB can use up to 2400). I do not know if the other MB companies have done this.

As for GW2 running on my build, yes it will. You will find some Youtube vids of people playing GW2 on a Trinity rig. The vids I have seen were using a lower end Trinity CPU and 1600 mem (I think it was 1600). Mind you, they are using Fraps or something similar, so what you see in the VId will improve when Fraps is not used.

Also, remember that resolution plays a huge part in performance. Something you can play on 1080p with 45 FPS may run 60 FPS on 720p, and even faster at lower res.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs