Hp m8100n not turning on

my system is on the fritz, doesnt turn on at all, looking at the light at the back where the psu is, its steady lit.

Would the psu still light up if it were busted?

Before purchasing parts, I'm trying to figure out what component to start with.


AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 5600+ for TRUE multi-tasking
• 2.8GHz, 1MB + 1MB L2 Cache, 2000Hz System Bus
Chipset
NVIDIA nForce 430
Standard memory
3072GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM memory (2x1024MB & 2x512MB for ultimate performance) (expandable to 8GB)
Memory type
DDR2-SDRAM
Memory slots
4 DIMM (240-pin, DDR2) (occupied)

Video adapter
NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE Graphics with TurboCache with 128MB dedicated graphics memory. Up to 623MB Total Available Graphics Memory as allocated by Windows Vista®
Video RAM
128MB
Compatible interactive TV services
NTSC TV tuner, over-the-air ATSC high-definition television tuner, and FM tuner (antenna included)
7 answers Last reply
More about m8100n turning
  1. the light means the cord is plugged in and receiving power. If you have a voltmeter you can check to see if it is out putting power.
  2. ishineushine4 said:
    my system is on the fritz, doesnt turn on at all, looking at the light at the back where the psu is, its steady lit.

    Would the psu still light up if it were busted?

    Before purchasing parts, I'm trying to figure out what component to start with.


    AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 5600+ for TRUE multi-tasking
    • 2.8GHz, 1MB + 1MB L2 Cache, 2000Hz System Bus
    Chipset
    NVIDIA nForce 430
    Standard memory
    3072GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM memory (2x1024MB & 2x512MB for ultimate performance) (expandable to 8GB)
    Memory type
    DDR2-SDRAM
    Memory slots
    4 DIMM (240-pin, DDR2) (occupied)

    Video adapter
    NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE Graphics with TurboCache with 128MB dedicated graphics memory. Up to 623MB Total Available Graphics Memory as allocated by Windows Vista®
    Video RAM
    128MB
    Compatible interactive TV services
    NTSC TV tuner, over-the-air ATSC high-definition television tuner, and FM tuner (antenna included)



    What happens when you turn it on? do you see any display at all on the screen? Does the power light on the monitor turn green at all?

    sometimes just reseating (taking out and putting back in) the ram (memory chips) will enable a boot-up.
  3. te100 said:
    the light means the cord is plugged in and receiving power. If you have a voltmeter you can check to see if it is out putting power.



    where would i use the voltmeter on?
  4. danny2000 said:
    What happens when you turn it on? do you see any display at all on the screen? Does the power light on the monitor turn green at all?

    sometimes just reseating (taking out and putting back in) the ram (memory chips) will enable a boot-up.



    i get nothing, no fans spinnings, no monitor, nada.. i tried reseating the ram.nothing
  5. ishineushine4 said:
    i get nothing, no fans spinnings, no monitor, nada.. i tried reseating the ram.nothing



    Okay, if you more than one stick of ram, try booting with only one at a time to test each one individually.
    One bad one can prevent your computer from booting.

    Another thing to check is to also boot without the hard drive connected to see if you get any display on the screen etc.

    All of this assumes that you have all of the power connectors connected to your motherboard and the also the cpu fan connector.
  6. so i disconnected the hard drive,leaving the other connectors connected to the motherboard, removed 3 of the 4 ram sticks, and the monitor connected.

    attached 1 stick then tried to power up the computer--nothing. i would replace the stick w/another--nothing. went thru each slot as well. When i put them all back, i noticed the powersupply light now is no longer lit as it was before.
  7. that pretty-much leaves the power supply or motherboard, or a bad peripheral. (if you you are using a pci slot video card and have an on-board video card also, use the onboard and remove the pci video card and any other cards).
    I've seen some other weird stuff though that will cause nothing to happen, including a bad keyboard.
Ask a new question

Read More

Prebuilt Hewlett Packard Memory Systems