Sign in with
Your question

Failing Power Supply?

Last response: in Components
February 10, 2013 10:23:39 PM

Hey guys my computer started to just randomly turning off by itself yesterday and it happened so far 3 times today. At first it would turn off, on and die again then automatically turns back on. The most recent one when it turned off it didn't turn back on. I flipped the PSU switch but I wasnt getting any power on my motherboard. I tried it again about 10 minutes later and I had power again. It only happens during heavy loads while playing GW2 for about almost an hour. Ive been playing this game for quite sometime with no problems. Ive also had this set up for almost 3 years now and had no problems with it until yesterday. Im thinking its the PSU because all my temps are okay, my cpu stays at around 40-47c on full loads and my GPU stays at around 50-60c also on full loads. I have about 6 intake fans and 3 blowing out on my haf 932 so im pretty sure its not a heat issue. I had this PSU for about a year, the first one died after 2 years and had to RMA. Thanks in advance.

PSU: Corsair HX750
Cpu: I7-920 with CM Evo 212
8Gb of ram
GPU: Geforce GTX 580 SC

More about : failing power supply

February 10, 2013 10:41:48 PM

Despite your good cooling, the problem at least FEELS like a temperature issue. If the power supply worked 10 minutes later, it sounds like some kind of overheat protection kicked in. As PSUs age, I believe that they do become less efficient, but your setup is far below the limit of what it should support.

Perhaps a dumb question, but is the PSU's own fan(s) functioning properly? Does it take air from inside the case or from outside? (like a bottom-mount PSU)

You might also take some canned air and spray it out really well in case dust has been settling on components and keeping the heat in.

I assume that your power is stable, with few surges and brownouts, flickering lights, etc. If your power is not stable, that might be another thing to look into.
m
l
February 10, 2013 10:51:11 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I checked the PSU fan earlier and they are working properly. I have my PSU mounted on the bottom of my case taking in air from the outside. I also checked all my connections earlier to make sure they are plugged in correctly.While I was fixing my connection I went ahead and used some canned air to blow out whatever dust was in the PSU and surprisingly its pretty clean. But I still had the same problems. Ive had it on now for about 2 hours just surfing the internet with no problems.
m
l
Related resources
February 11, 2013 12:25:09 AM

Your cooling setup sounds excellent, so at least that's been ruled out. Your PSU is far below maximum load. (assuming it's working properly)

Assuming that you don't have another power supply (at least 400W) to swap with it as a test, you'll need to look at other components as the possible problem. Unfortunately the PSU is the obvious culprit, and anything else tends to be hard to diagnose. Motherboards aren't nearly as easy to swap out, for example.

My only other guess would be home power issues like surges, spikes, or brownouts that cause the system to shut down to protect itself. I hope that you are using a good surge protector, if not a UPS. You would probably notice power issues in your house from flickering lights and possibly other failing electronics.

Sorry I couldn't assist you further. I hope that someone is able to solve your problem.
m
l
February 11, 2013 12:30:51 AM

I have a 550w power supply I can use right now. Is that strong enough to power my system?

I know it's not an a power thing at my house because my brother was gaming with me at the same time when the problem occurred with no issues.
m
l
February 11, 2013 12:47:29 AM

Some systems may be more sensitive to power fluctuations than others. I've seen some computers freeze or shut down when lights dim, while others are just fine. Let's assume that it's not a home power issue for now.

I can tell that you a 550W power supply would be fine to use as a test, and even long-term as long as you don't add too much more to your system.

Core i7 920 = About 130W MAX
GTX 580 = 244W MAX

Even assuming an extra 100W for motherboard, drives, fans, etc, that's still only 474W. Nvidia says that a 600W PSU is required for the GTX 580, but I am not sure why (perhaps to give a lot of slack). As long as you have the proper power connectors for everything you could at least give it a try. If you can run Prime95 and Furmark at the same time on any PSU, it should be able to handle anything.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 11, 2013 12:57:24 AM

You might also trying swapping out the cord going to the computer but it does sound like a psu overheating and turning itself off.
m
l
February 11, 2013 1:00:44 AM

Thanks guys. I'm gonna be swapping PSU with my brother and see what happens. Ill come back here with the results. So far my PSU is doing fine on his computer playing the same game for about 30mins or so. I'm yet to try his PSU on my computer.
m
l
February 11, 2013 6:58:01 AM

After putting my PSU on my brothers comp and playing GW2 nothing happened and it ran smoothly. Is it possible that his computer didn't give the PSU the same load my computer was giving it? His GPU is just the low end kind. Gigabyte HD 6670.

After using his PSU on my computer and using it for a couple of hours the computer didn't shutdown. No problems whatsoever. So I guess that rules out my other components? I'm just confused now

Tomorrow I will switch back my PSU and see if its gonna happen again. Ill come back with my findings.
m
l
February 11, 2013 7:43:10 AM

I am very much a noob so don't take too much notice of me but I thought it was good practice to have more exhaust fans than fans sucking air into case? I thought having more air getting in than could get out can cause stagnent areas of air to build up leading to hotspots in the case?
m
l
February 11, 2013 8:48:57 AM

sizzling said:
I am very much a noob so don't take too much notice of me but I thought it was good practice to have more exhaust fans than fans sucking air into case? I thought having more air getting in than could get out can cause stagnent areas of air to build up leading to hotspots in the case?

There are pros and cons for both positive and negative pressure setups. Here's some useful info from a Tom's article: Case Fans: Should You Worry About Positive Or Negative Pressure?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 11, 2013 8:26:41 PM

eRiccck said:
After putting my PSU on my brothers comp and playing GW2 nothing happened and it ran smoothly. Is it possible that his computer didn't give the PSU the same load my computer was giving it? His GPU is just the low end kind. Gigabyte HD 6670.

After using his PSU on my computer and using it for a couple of hours the computer didn't shutdown. No problems whatsoever. So I guess that rules out my other components? I'm just confused now

Tomorrow I will switch back my PSU and see if its gonna happen again. Ill come back with my findings.

I wouldn't mess around too much with a failing PSU. It has a 7 year warranty it is time to get a new one. It is a great company so you need not fear having the same problem with the next one.
m
l
!