Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • AMD
  • Radeon
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 7, 2012 10:03:38 PM

I was looking around found some news about the AMD Radeon HD 6990M for a laptop and I can't find were to buy it. Any link would help but my other question is were do you think the AMD Radeon HD 6490M would be for gaming. Now it says that the 512MB ATI 3870+ but alot of people say it still will not run GTA 4. Last thing is will a monitor help with FPS? Thanks

More about : question

August 7, 2012 10:49:58 PM

The 6990, both desktop and laptop version, is a pretty rare card and probably explains why you are having trouble finding a 6990m laptop. My advice would be to check sites like ebay regularly. You will probably have to find a used model. A 6490 will not be a very powerful gpu. GTA 4 is a poorly made game for the PC, and therefore almost any graphics card will run it poorly, even the high ends. What resolution are you planning on getting for the laptop. If you are getting 1080p, I would not go lower than a gtx 460m.

I don't really understand your question about the monitor. Are you asking if lower resolutions will help run games more smoothly? If you are, then the answer is yes. No other specification on the monitor will increase you fps.
m
l
August 7, 2012 11:00:34 PM

roadkill922 said:
GTA 4 is a poorly made game for the PC, and therefore almost any graphics card will run it poorly, even the high ends.

I can confirm that for you, I have 2 gtx 680 direct cu ii top cards and in some places my fps drops as low as 30-40. That game was ported terribly to pc and trust me any laptop gpu wont get you over 30fps.
m
l
Related resources
August 8, 2012 12:28:16 AM

roadkill922 said:
The 6990, both desktop and laptop version, is a pretty rare card and probably explains why you are having trouble finding a 6990m laptop. My advice would be to check sites like ebay regularly. You will probably have to find a used model. A 6490 will not be a very powerful gpu. GTA 4 is a poorly made game for the PC, and therefore almost any graphics card will run it poorly, even the high ends. What resolution are you planning on getting for the laptop. If you are getting 1080p, I would not go lower than a gtx 460m.

I don't really understand your question about the monitor. Are you asking if lower resolutions will help run games more smoothly? If you are, then the answer is yes. No other specification on the monitor will increase you fps.

Thanks! like why is it so rare to find for the both of them? And 1 more thing is what is the best laptop graphics card. Since I saving all my money to build my computer I have to stay with a laptop. Price range is from 100-800 even though I could still maybe build one for that price. ( I'm building a 2500$ computer next year )
m
l
August 8, 2012 12:40:58 AM

Gudy said:
Thanks! like why is it so rare to find for the both of them? And 1 more thing is what is the best laptop graphics card. Since I saving all my money to build my computer I have to stay with a laptop. Price range is from 100-800 even though I could still maybe build one for that price. ( I'm building a 2500$ computer next year )

Are you trying to buy a mobile graphics card only, because if you are, they do not sell laptop gpus. They come with the laptop. They are not swappable like desktop gpus. In any case, for that money, you would be best getting a used laptop with a gtx 460 or similar radeon if you can find one. For 800 bucks, you are not going to get very much power on a laptop. I would recommend starting your desktop build instead and upgrading parts as you get more money.

6990s are rare because they are very expensive and as a result, there isn't a large market for them. $700 range, but may have dropped since the 7000 series cards have come out.
m
l
August 8, 2012 12:42:59 AM

roadkill922 said:
Are you trying to buy a mobile graphics card only, because if you are, they do not sell laptop gpus. They come with the laptop. They are not swappable like desktop gpus. In any case, for that money, you would be best getting a used laptop with a gtx 460 or similar radeon if you can find one. For 800 bucks, you are not going to get very much power on a laptop. I would recommend starting your desktop build instead and upgrading parts as you get more money.

Ok thanks for the help.
m
l
!