Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PSU Multi-rail question.

Last response: in Components
a b ) Power supply
February 11, 2013 12:02:54 AM

I was recently trying to explain to someone how the PowerCooler psu they bought wasn't very good when I came up with a question of my own.

I think I understand multi 12V rails because I remember using them years ago. This psu had 2 12V rails. The first had 20A max and the 2nd had 17A max with a total of 340W (only 28.3A max). My question is the 20/24 pin included as one of the rails? If so I suspect it is rail 1?

Best solution

a c 116 ) Power supply
February 11, 2013 1:31:34 AM

Interesting question. I would have to assume any +12v circuits' loads would have to be added to one of the rails. Which one would have to be determined by reading the schematic for the PSU in question.
a b ) Power supply
February 11, 2013 1:37:56 AM

jnkweaver said:
I was recently trying to explain to someone how the PowerCooler psu they bought wasn't very good when I came up with a question of my own.

I think I understand multi 12V rails because I remember using them years ago. This psu had 2 12V rails. The first had 20A max and the 2nd had 17A max with a total of 340W (only 28.3A max). My question is the 20/24 pin included as one of the rails? If so I suspect it is rail 1?

"Multi-Rail" is nothing more than a marketing gimmick. Good single rail PSUs and good multi rail PSUs trade blows all the time. Some of the best PSUs use multiple internal regulators and have their combined output connected to form a single rail.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
February 11, 2013 1:45:33 AM

Pinhedd said:
"Multi-Rail" is nothing more than a marketing gimmick. Good single rail PSUs and good multi rail PSUs trade blows all the time. Some of the best PSUs use multiple internal regulators and have their combined output connected to form a single rail.

I get that and I use single rails as can be seen in my specs but I was curious in how it works now. Is the extra 3A in rail 1 because they plan to use part or it as the 20/24 pin?
a b ) Power supply
February 11, 2013 4:38:16 AM

jnkweaver said:
I get that and I use single rails as can be seen in my specs but I was curious in how it works now. Is the extra 3A in rail 1 because they plan to use part or it as the 20/24 pin?

That's entirely up to the manufacturer. You would quite literally have to tear the unit apart or find a review that has in order to figure out how they balance their power.
a b ) Power supply
February 16, 2013 9:21:00 PM

Best answer selected by jnkweaver.
!