desktop snap-to-grid

Does anyone know of a way I can get Windows XP to cause all window
resize actions to "snap-to-grid"? Basically, I want Windows to make the
window size of all my apps to conform to an invisible grid with grid
lines every 20 or 30 pixels, say. This capability exists for icons on
the desktop, but apparently not for application windows.

I found reference online to a registry setting called GridGranularity.
However, even though that setting exists in XP, it appears to be
ignored. I also found a note from someone who said he thought there was
some shareware that would allow you to do this. However, I've searched
for literally two hours, and can't find what I want.

I thought this would be such a common desire that it would either be
built into Windows or available in any of a dozen shareware desktop
enhancements. But after looking at several of the top desktop
enhancement packages, I can't find anyone who provides this feature.

Any suggestions?

Todd.

Try this:

AutoSizer v1.53 (c) SouthBay Software

Date: 2004
OS : WinALL
http://www.southbaypc.com/AutoSizer
Down: http://www.southbaypc.com/download/assetup.exe

Resize Your Programs Automatically

AutoSizer automatically resizes any window you specify. For instance,
some web browsers
open up in a non-maximized window. Using AutoSizer, you can set those
windows to
automatically maximize every time they’re opened. It works with almost
any program,
including web browsers, Notepad, etc. AutoSizer stays running in the
system tray (next to
the time), so it stays out of your way while it works.

Install.
(Free)

nospam wrote:
> Try this:
>
> AutoSizer v1.53 (c) SouthBay Software

That was one of the many desktop enhancement programs I already looked
at that don't do what I'm looking for. But thanks for the pointer. Do
you have any other good leads?

Tod.

> Todd Bradley wrote:
>
>>Does anyone know of a way I can get Windows XP to cause all window
>>resize actions to "snap-to-grid"? Basically, I want Windows to make the
>>window size of all my apps to conform to an invisible grid with grid
>>lines every 20 or 30 pixels, say. This capability exists for icons on
>>the desktop, but apparently not for application windows.
>>
>>I found reference online to a registry setting called GridGranularity.
>>However, even though that setting exists in XP, it appears to be
>>ignored. I also found a note from someone who said he thought there was
>>some shareware that would allow you to do this. However, I've searched
>>for literally two hours, and can't find what I want.
>>
>>I thought this would be such a common desire that it would either be
>>built into Windows or available in any of a dozen shareware desktop
>>enhancements. But after looking at several of the top desktop
>>enhancement packages, I can't find anyone who provides this feature.
>>
>>Any suggestions?
>>
>>Todd.

It is built in so I don't know what flights of idocy you are on.

David Candy wrote:
> It is built in so I don't know what flights of idocy you are on.

OK, would you be so kind as to tell me how to activate this feature,
then? I've searched the web, searched Microsoft's support database, and
searched the Usenet archive and haven't found any reference to this
capability under XP.

I don't think I'm on any "flights of idocy" but maybe I'm missing something.

Todd.

David Candy wrote:
> It is built in so I don't know what flights of idocy you are on.

According to Webster online, idocy isn't a word, smart ass. He was
asking for help, not some smart ass remark.

Here, here

David, I have corresponded with you via the newsgroup before.

Why be nasty? There is no need. Or is it idiocy!
--
Cheers,
Trevor L.