Noob, Need help with PSU

HBchevelle68

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
So i am new to the forums and new to computer builds, I have starting acquiring everything for my first build

So far I have:

CPU: AMD FX-8350
Heat Sink - Thermalake Frio Advanced
Case- Coolermaster Haf X
GPU- EVGA 550ti

I am planning on getting:

MOBO- Sabertooth 990fx R2.0
RAM- 8gb G.Skill Ripjaws either 1600-1800 havent decided yet
HDD - 2tb western digital

Power supply- ??????

I have been doing research for a couple days now on a power supply and still cant tell whether its worth it to spend a little extra on one or just get one that will do the job.

Can anyone give a suggestion? I would really like to spend less than 150 if possible

Thanks all!

For a system using a single GeForce GTX 550 Ti graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 400 Watt or greater system power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and that has at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

For a system using two GeForce GTX 550 Ti graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater system power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 38 Amps or greater and that has at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most important factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) will require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock being attempted.

4745454b

Titan
Why are you going with the 550TI? You'll spend $150 on a PSU but buy a less then stellar card like that?

I usually suggest the Corsair CX430 or the Antec 380Green when dealing with computers that have lower end cards that need only one PCIe plug. They are cheap, reliable, and work rather well.

The Corsair Builder Series CX430 (SKU# 75-001666 / CP-9020046-UK), with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 32 Amps and with one (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector, is more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single GeForce GTX 550 Ti graphics card.

Are you planning on SLI in the future?

HBchevelle68

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
Well i went with the 550ti because I got it for 100 bucks versus the normal 169 price so i just jumped on it. As of now I just wanted to get my first buld under my belt and then possibly in the future run an SLI.

I originally was looking at the HX750, so that way I would have wingle room to SLI or upgrade parts in the future, is that a good otion or should I get something in the 650 area?

An HX650 is way more than sufficient to power a system with two GeForce GTX 550 Ti graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode.

4745454b

Titan
I'm biased against the 550TI. Nvidia miss named it and it has one of the worst price vs performance ratios ever seen. $100 isn't too bad, but I still would have gone for the 7770 which is the same price but faster.

750W is way to much for that card. As Ko said even the 650W is more then enough. It only needs one 6pin PCIe plug so even most 500-550W PSU are enough. Just make sure you get a good one.