sunflash

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
Hello after weeks of research i have narrowed my future gaming pc configuration.

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H
Proccessor Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz
GPU Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2048MB DDR5 OC
Memory Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz rev A
HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB SATA3 64MB
Case Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus
PSU Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650 V2
Monitor IPS 23 Asus VS239HR Full HD
CPU cooler Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme
SSD Intel Seria 330 2.5 SATA3 120GB 25nm MLC
DVD Writer LG GH22NS50 SATA Black bulk

What do you guys think ? I do have some questions regarding this build.

1.Will the CPU cooler fit in the Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus case ?

2.What do you guys think of the new IPS monitors ? (i chose the asus one because it has a response time of 5 ms )

3.Is the PSU good and strong enough ?

4.Can the motherboard help me achieve stable 4.5Ghz or 4.8Ghz with low temp at full load or while gaming ?

5.Is the memory ok , or should i go for more or maybe just 1 with 8 GB instead of 2x4 ?

Thanks for the your opinions and sugesitons in advance.

Nw333

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
1. That I dont know lol, it should though. HAF cases are huuuuge.
2. Very nice image quality, if you ask me. :D
3. Yep, unless you plan on getting another 670. If you do, I suggest another mobo; the Asrock Extreme4.
4. It should handle 4.5GHz well, with a decent cooler. (Which the SilverArrow is) 4.8GHz, thats something else. Thats quite a rare OC, imo.
5. Dual Channel memory is what you want. Make sure its low profile too.

One last piece of advice, I suggest getting the MSI Power Edition 670. Over volting for OCing, AWESOME cooler, and freaking dust removal when you start the computer. :D (it runs the fans backward for 30 secs during start-up.)

jacknhut

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
No aircooler can help you achieve 4.8 Ghz overclocked on that Ivy Bridge without risking going into the 90C temp. For that, you need a full custom watercooling gear. 4.5Ghz-4.6 Ghz is probably the max you can push with decent air coolers without hitting the 90c in temp.

zared619

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2012

Everything this guy said is absolutely true.
Since you want to OC, 4.2 ghz tends to be about as much as any game would use. Anything higher is just overkill.

sunflash

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
4.2 Ghz is what i want all the time and max 4.5GHz , but i would always play or work with 4.2Ghz
Can the air cooler keep the cpu at 75 C while gaming ? And is 75 C a normal temp or to high for this processor ?

zanedragonknight

Honorable
May 9, 2012
I'll answer your questions first and give you input later.

1. It'll fit, easy. The cooler is 10cm x 12cm x 16cm. The case is 23cm x 48cm x 49cm (both dimensions are width x depth x height).

Quote from a review from bit-tech on this case:

"CPU cooler clearance 175mm"

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/2010/09/27/cooler-master-haf-912-plus-review/1

2. IPS is superior to LED and LCD. If you can afford it, go for it.

3. There is a website to calculate how much power you need for your system:

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

I estimate your system will need no more then 470 W.

4. Yes, though not without consequences. Read this article for full details:

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1890/15/

5. This depends on whether your motherboard is single-, double-, or quad-channel.
Generally, 4GB x 2 will be slightly better (very slightly) performance wise. It'll also be cheaper. Go for the 4GB x 2.

Now my opinions on your build.

You could do better on the motherboard; the ASRock Extreme 6 is another Z77 motherboard that has almost the exact same specs as the motherboard you plan to purchase, for a little less money (around $30, I guess). ASRock, Gigabyte, and ASUS are the three best mobo companies on the planet, with ASRock being #2.

You don't need the 3570k unless you plan to overclock. If you are, great. If you're not, go for the i5 3550. It's practically the same, but again, cheaper.

The 670 is a fantastic gaming card, and in my opinion, the best pick in that price rang. Some would debate that, but it's the definitive choice for me. No complaints there, though you should wait for Christmas sales.

The Barricuda isn't a bad HDD, but Western Digital is usually a tad faster and more reliable. Also, I think you should get at least 2 TB, so you don't need to upgrade or get another drive for at least 2 years.

The HAF 912 is a great case. Just make sure you get the right fan sizes. Also, you should go for two 120mm fans for the top, not one 200mm (two 120mm will always be faster and cool better).

PSU is more then enough.

Monitor is excellent.

CPU Cooler is honestly overkill, but if it's in your budget, go for it.

I'm honestly uncomfortable with this SSD. I'd very strongly (even violently) recommend you go with a Crucial or a Samsung, with the Crucial taking priority. It is by far, the most reliable SSD on the market, and reliability is much more important when it comes to SSD's.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148442

DVD writer is fine. Might want a rewritable one, to burn discs and such, or a blu-ray.

Let me know if you have any questions.

sunflash

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
thanks zanedragonknight for your input .

glad the cpu cooler fits in the case , one less worry .

to bad the Oc tests were on the i7 2600k and not the i5 3570k.As far as i heard the ivy ones are hotter then the sandy ones + i don't know what cooling they had for the tests or what temps they got.

Overall i think the motherboard should be good enough to get 4.2Ghz stable and with good temp's.What do you think i should aim for oc with my current setup ?

sunflash

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
is there a risk that some of the components don't have the same connectors ? like the dvd-rw with the motherboard ?

jacknhut

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010

Unless you buy a very old DVD RW that uses PATA connector instead of SATA, you won't have a problem.

zanedragonknight

Honorable
May 9, 2012

I was wondering why you wanted such a powerful CPU cooler. Don't worry, the heat difference is anyway negligible unless you have only one fan, anf your system can support at least 3, and a CPU cooler.

I'm not much of an expert on overclocking, but the i5 3750 is generally a 3.4 gHz chip; I've got an article on overclocking it here:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1282342/overclocking-i5-3750k

4.2 seems stable, with an excellent CPU cooler. Seriously, that better be a damn good cooler.

Anything else? And submit your final build.

zanedragonknight

Honorable
May 9, 2012

Nope. You're buying a new DVD drive, it'll work.

sunflash

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
i did order the components but no online shop has the Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme on stock , gonna have to wait 2-3 weeks till they get a new shipment

i do have a question regarding the Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme (the best air cooler on the market according to some sites)

from what i can tell from the pictures and one video i saw , the Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme has 2 fans , but i can attach a 3rd one for better cooling , does anyone know if this is true ?

i saw this video on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6xrsuPwDbo and it seems the Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme is really good , imagine it with a 3rd cooler .

maybe i can get that stable 4.5Ghz OC with the i5 3570k with a 40-45 C (not counting the room temp) what do you guys think ? is that possible and good ?

zanedragonknight

Honorable
May 9, 2012

3 coolers is overkill to the power of overkill. You really don't need that much airflow, and it may retrict space on your mobo. No third fan.

4.5 Ghz is really pushing the line on the 3570k. I understand that you want to overclock, but all the cooling in the world can't push a processor past its internal physical limit. Remember that taking in too much voltage can burn your processor up, not just the outside temp. And overclocking past Intel's limits usually voids your warranty, as they tell you not to push past set limits. Push it to 4.2 Ghz, fine, not 4.5.