Sign in with
Your question

New Build for AutoCAD

Last response: in Systems
September 28, 2012 9:04:34 AM

A friend has asked me to piece together a machine to use on his engineering course, he will largely be dealing with AutoCAD and other CAD programs. I have never pieced together a machine for anything other than a gaming rig and as he is currently in Uni I don't want him to pay for something too powerful.

He will need all components and no peripherals.

I have been thinking about going with one of the AMD Bulldozer chips for this as AutoCAD are all multithreaded and should benefit greatly. Could someone throw something together or point me in the right direction? I have no idea what sort of graphics power he will need for a machine like this.

More about : build autocad

September 28, 2012 11:24:43 AM

Generally speaking Intel i5 is probably ideal. If doing a lot of CAD work, particularly in 3D, i7 can be justified. If not interested in gaming, a modest Quadro is often best, for graphics. Some idea of requirements, budget, where you are, and whether peripherals (eg monitor, operating system etc) need to be included, would help in giving some sensible advice.
September 28, 2012 1:02:43 PM

Kurshu said:
A friend has asked me to piece together a machine to use on his engineering course, he will largely be dealing with AutoCAD and other CAD programs. I have never pieced together a machine for anything other than a gaming rig and as he is currently in Uni I don't want him to pay for something too powerful.

He will need all components and no peripherals.

I have been thinking about going with one of the AMD Bulldozer chips for this as AutoCAD are all multithreaded and should benefit greatly. Could someone throw something together or point me in the right direction? I have no idea what sort of graphics power he will need for a machine like this.

You would be wrong in the assumption that autocad benefits from multi threading. Yes it can use a lot of threads but in all my days of using cad programs I've never seen it use more then 2 cores maxed out. Unless of course you are rendering. I've used catia ptc proe inventor autocad and dabled in solid works. All the same. They want FAST cores before many cores. I5 all day
!